Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Road Double Cranks For Fixed Gear

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-11, 05:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can I put the outer 53t ring in the inner position for a 41mm chainline or do I have to use the 39t inner ring?

Last edited by posinihilist; 01-26-11 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-26-11, 07:04 AM
soft pedal zen

Bikes: Absolutely

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
You can use either ring, just make sure you're using single speed chainring bolts. 53 is a little steep, though.
Old 01-26-11, 07:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Putting the 53t chainring on the inner position of a road double might give you chainstay clearance issues, depending on the frame.

But in general, the chainline of a road double (measured in between the two chainrings) is 43.5. Given a 5mm chainring spacing, this puts the inner chainring position at 41mm, which will line up with your track hubs 41mm standard chainline. Or it'll be close enough.
Old 01-26-11, 07:56 AM

Liked 12 Times in 1 Post
I use a Campy square taper road crank on the appropriate (111mm) Campy BB, with a Miche 1/8" ring in the outer position. I also have a 1mm spacer behind my cog. Rear hub is a Cance Creek 120mm, which I assume uses the typical chainline.

The resulting chainline is perfect, and the crankset looks a lot cleaner than with the ring on the inside.

YMMV.
Old 01-27-11, 12:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool... thanks guys. Found a pretty good deal on some FSA carbon road cranks. I think I might do it.
Old 01-27-11, 01:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
watch the carbon FSA cranks. If it is a three piece aka (spider and crank arm are separate) the spider can start to slip if used on a fg. I have the carbon track pro and I am dealing with the spider slipping on the crank arm after 300 miles.
Old 01-27-11, 01:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by amschnellsten
watch the carbon FSA cranks. If it is a three piece aka (spider and crank arm are separate) the spider can start to slip if used on a fg. I have the carbon track pro and I am dealing with the spider slipping on the crank arm after 300 miles.
If that's actually happening to your cranks, you have a bad set. It has nothing to do with their use on a fixed gear bike.
Old 01-27-11, 02:14 PM
dsh
Oh, you know...

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Sports Tourer (Polo), S-Works E5 Team Festina (Chorus 11), Trek 2200 Bonded Carbon (Fixed), Trek 920 (7 speed IGH), Chesini Olimpiade SL (1x7)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FKMTB07
If that's actually happening to your cranks, you have a bad set. It has nothing to do with their use on a fixed gear bike.
Eh, while it's true that he probably has a bad set, it's not like there aren't unique things happening to the cranks on a fixed gear.

A road bike crank only ever experiences tangential force in one specific direction, and this is not reversible or subject to assembly error. It's not inconceivable that a manufacturer could design cranks to be stiffer in one direction than the other, and I'd even say it would be smart.

Whether or not FSA has done that, I doubt it. But it wouldn't be illogical if they did.
Old 01-27-11, 02:20 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by amschnellsten
I've seen a number of carbon FSA cranks come apart on road and cross bikes under "normal" use. I'd stay away from them period.
Old 01-28-11, 04:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm looking at buying the Carbon Pro Team Issue. They're the newer design where the arms and spider are not serparate. They seem to get good reviews.