Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Lot of vintage cruiser bikes for sale... do I go for it

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 01-26-11, 11:49 AM

Bikes: Too many to count alway changing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey All,

I just met with a guy this morning who is selling his collection of vintage and atique cruiser bikes. He's got around 50 bikes various makes, models, and conditions. I've attached a few pictures of the lot but you can't seem much detail but it give you a general idea...

he wants $150 per bike which I think is out of the question... but he needs cash ASAP.

I know vintage road bikes but have less experience / interest in the old cruisers. Is there a vintage cruiser market either on ebay or another venue? My motivation would be to flip the majority of the bikes and keep a select few for my own collections. I would not want to get into fully restoring the lot.

Any thoughts are appreciated... especially on what to pay on a per bike basis for the lot.

Here is the sellers description... 50 Classic bikes, Most of them are skip tooth cruisers. Several Schwinn's, many are two speeds. There are a few road bikes. Most of the bicycles are in average condition some are rough some are nice. I am only interested in selling the whole lot. Price is $150 each, for a total of $7500. There are a few rough ones that may be worth less than 150 but the majority are worth close to double. Several Shelby's several Schwinn's several Roll Fasts etc.... the majority are Men's cruisers but some are Woman's. Serious inquires only please. Possible trades, send pictures. Again I am not interested in selling single bikes, the whole collection only.

Keyword: Skiptooth, skip tooth, Schwinn, Shelby, roll fast, huffy, Huffman, Hiawatha, Firestone, Raleigh, trek, specialized, old, classic, antique, custom, project, collection

Let me know what you think...

Cheers...

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_1185.jpg (103.2 KB, 95 views)
100_1190.jpg (101.4 KB, 96 views)
100_1184.jpg (100.2 KB, 35 views)
100_1188.jpg (103.3 KB, 31 views)
100_1187.jpg (102.3 KB, 28 views)
Old 01-26-11, 12:37 PM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,836 Times in 1,460 Posts
I think I see my brother's bike that was stolen in '69 LOL

personally I think 150 ea is more than retail on most of these. this is more like buying a business you need to get them for less than wholesale. I would say no more then $50 ea. do you have a place to keep all of them? how long do you have to move them?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-26-11, 12:41 PM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
It's hard to tell from the pictures. $150 each may be an okay average price, but doesn't strike me as a steal, either. Certain brands go higher, men's frames go higher, etc., and without actually tabulating the worth of each bike, you couldn't really say. I've seen old cruisers go for more, but seen plenty that were worth less, too.

Prices also vary considerably regionally.
Old 01-26-11, 01:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hear what your saying...

I was thinking more in the $50-$65 dollar range. I'm in a great bike market and have a side business renting and selling bikes. It definatly would be an average price per bike... condition really varied. The guy selling them is a reputable bike shop owner and this is his private collection... he just needs fast cash. I can keep the bike where they are for a week or two and would have to find another garage. It just tough to come to a reasonable price... I feel that $150 is the retail price he put on the lot and your right I want them at a wholesale price. All I can do is make an offer and see what happens.
Old 01-26-11, 02:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i didnt see any thing that was high end in the pics, looked like as many middle weights as balloon tire. if you buy them all you should a deal a hell of a deal. 150 is no deal not even close
Old 01-26-11, 03:27 PM
Wherever I may roam....

Bikes: A few bikes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$150 is too much. I think you're right with the $50ish per bike. There are a couple in there that have piqued my interest. If this deal happens for you, let me know.
Old 01-26-11, 03:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seller said I could buy all or half... but if I took half he would pull out some of his favorits to keep. Which got your attention... I know which I would pick and they seemed to be in line with the ones the guy would keep if he could.
Old 01-26-11, 10:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sale was a no go... I offered $50 per bike but the seller wasn't that motivated after all. Was not meant to be. Thanks all for your in put. I tried to cherry pick a few of the good ones but seller wanted an all or nothing deal. He probably will wind up sitting on the lot for another 10 years.
Old 01-27-11, 11:47 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some of those are worth good money. I see a Raleigh Twenty, a nice Brooks saddle on something, and some nice Schwinns. If that was near me I'd buy the lot. Those braced wide handlebars go for $150+ on ebay. I'm sure you could make your money back.