Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Working with what you've got

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-11, 07:46 AM

Bikes: 1972ish Ralegh Superbe step through in green, 1983 Nishiki International diamond frame in black with gold pinstriping

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know this may be a dumb question, but does just changing your handle bars change how your bike fits?

Ive been having problems with this bike:

It's causing me some hip and back pain. I have a hard time believing that just changing the handle bars would make a difference.
Old 01-28-11, 08:56 AM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
First thing I would do would be check the seat height. A good quick check is that when you are sitting in the seat with your leg straight out, the heal should be flat on the pedal. (When the ball of your foot is on the pedal, your leg should be just slightly bent.)

Then you can try different adjustments with the handlebars. It looks like those have quite a bit of adjustment: Up and down (by sliding the step in and out of the headset) and back and forth (by pivoting the elbow joint).

It would help if you could post a picture of you on the bike.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-28-11, 11:53 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Dec1st
I know this may be a dumb question, but does just changing your handle bars change how your bike fits?
Yup.

Everything on a bike works together. A handlebar change can affect the angle of your back and consequently impact low back or hip issues.
Old 01-28-11, 12:32 PM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
When I first got my current bike, it would bother my back a bit when I rode it, but after a few days that was okay. Then it would bother my back a bit if I rode in the drops, but I sort of got used to that and it was okay. If I'm off the bike for two or three days or don't ride in the drops any for a while, I'll notice it when I get back on. Basically, if you're in any position that you're not normally in, it may bother you.
Old 01-28-11, 01:39 PM
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
What kind of hip & back pain are you having?

Counterintuitively an upright position like that will actually put more stress on your lower back, since all of the weight of your upper body will impact your lower discs at every bump in the road.
I've had two back surgeries already and have discovered that a slightly "racier" position on bicycles and motorcycles (in which you support at least some of your upper body with your hands) is highly preferable to a straight-up-&-down position.

Consider seeing a pro bike fitter.
Old 01-28-11, 05:21 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Unless you replace the handlebars with something that is exactly the same shape and size ... yes, changing the handlebars will make a difference.
Old 01-28-11, 05:40 PM

Bikes: Surly LHT set up for commuting

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moving any part of the bike 1cm can have a major impact in comfort. If you are new to cycling understand that certain muscles will be sore from use but there should not be any severe / sharp pain. I would bring the bike back to your local dealer and have them work with you on the fit of the bike.

Consider seeing a pro bike fitter.
This would definitely solve the problem but often these services are $$$ when compared to the price of the OP's bike.
Old 01-29-11, 11:39 AM

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many good points on bike adjustment here. My first suggestion is also on seat height. I find too low a seat height is hard on my back and hips, especially on a single speed.
Old 01-30-11, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's impossible to tell without seeing you on the bike, but just looking at the picture, the bar seems to be very close to the saddle and awfully high. I run high-ish bars myself (level with the saddle or slightly higher), but having them so close to you could be putting more weight on your butt and back than if they were farther away. The stem looks adjustable, so you could try lowering the bars and rotating the stem so the handlebars are farther away. If that doesn't work, a new stem or new bars might.
That bike doesn't allow what we normally think of as a proper fit, but that kind of fit is based on racing and doesn't work for everybody.
Old 01-30-11, 10:53 AM
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
No personal experience but I've heard bad things about sprung seat posts. And yes I'd try a little adjusting before buying new parts. Peter White has a good article on fitting a bicycle.
Old 01-30-11, 12:30 PM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Well, it's a multispeed bike according to that pic, so there's the option of using the right gear and not grinding away in too tall of a gear...

Things to consider (partly summing up other replies) --

Seat height. That suspension seatpost will change your seat height over bumps, of course -- but it also changes once you sit on it, so if you were to adjust it to a certain height by measuring it, you'd need to add a smidge to account for suspension "sag". An alternative to the straight seatpost would be a Thudbuster, which still provides suspension but doesn't change the seat-to-crank distance as much.

Saddle position front-to-back can affect your pedaling, too. If it's too far forward, the wider back of the saddle can get in the way of your legs as you pedal and mess with your hips.

Riding posture makes a difference, too. Try to ride with a more neutral body position, not bent back or forward too much.

Staying seated on bumps hurts me; I try to take the shocks with my arms and legs, not my butt.