Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

So hear we go again

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-11, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So hear we go again

So hear we go again, how many times have you said “ this is the year I’m going to get in shape”? I know I’ve said it to myself many a time, and it hasn't happen yet.
For those of you that have been successful in your fitness endeavors what made it stick? What are you doing differently this time that you didn’t do in your previous attempts at better fitness?
Old 02-01-11, 06:49 PM
Riding

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It helps me to take all the analysis out of it and just kick ass. For me when I say "I didn't ____ because of ____" or "_____ just isn't working" it's usually just me vindication my laziness and/or lack of motivation.
Old 02-01-11, 09:43 PM
Bulky Bullet

Bikes: Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Twobadfish pretty much nailed it. For me, it was just deciding to stop making excuses for failure. For example - say it's January 1st and I said "I'm gonna get in shape this year. I'm going to run today." But then it rains. I could either say, "well, it's raining. Guess I'll do it tomorrow, or the day after." OR - I could head to the gym and run the treadmill. Same thing goes for the bike. I could lay around the house lamenting about the additional freezing rain and sleet hitting us right now, OR - I could jump on the trainer as I have been doing and cranking out some good hard miles. We all tend to be our harshest critics in most facets of life. So why do we lie and make excuses for ourselves when it comes to our fitness? Time to stop that trend. When you know you're slipping up, don't make excuses for yourself. HTFU and give yourself a good swift kick in the ass. On those days that you really don't feel like working out, remember that no one has ever gone to the gym and said, "gee, I really wish I wouldn't have gotten that workout in."
Old 02-01-11, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1.
Ive been biking steadily (at least 3x a week) since last February. The trick for me, as previously stated, is not to think about it and just "do it" After a few months it becomes as normal as getting dressed in the morning. Find an enjoyable, small, local ride (approx 5 miles) that you can do twice a week and, if you can, throw in a longer ride at the weekends. Repeat, repeat, repeat - after awhile, it becomes second nature....
Old 02-01-11, 10:30 PM
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
The difference for me is I'm not exercising anymore, instead I'm enjoying my sport.
I want to be able to ride Centuries with the club without any drama. To do this I need to lose some weight and ditch the belly so I can breathe in the drops.

After 5 months of attempting to read every thread here, careful data analysis, and over thinking about everything I've discovered these truths:

To lose weight: eat less
To increase your fitness level: ride more and harder
To increase your average speed: shift
To stay motivated: read BF everyday

Profound isn't it
Old 02-01-11, 10:38 PM
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me it was holding myself back. You say.... What? I looked at it as "I need to be more active." In the past I was always pushing myself faster,longer,stronger to the point that after a few months I'd be thinking Oh No I got to go to the gym and do everything I did yesterday and then some. Exercise became work and I couldn't keep up. This time I kept a "Showing up is a success" attitude. I did push myself at times but I didn't plan it. What I do is a 10-20 minute warmup and then decide how hard I want to go. Another thing I did was planned recovery. Every 6 weeks I'd back way off. Sometimes, not even do workouts at all for a week. After a few days I'd be going stir crazy wanting to hit the gym. I know all the trainers say "Plan the workout. Work the plan." Well that might be the right approach for someone that is already fit, someone who is wanting peak performance in a peticular sport. I just want to be fit and you know what... I am.

Last edited by jethro56; 02-01-11 at 10:40 PM. Reason: can't speel
Old 02-01-11, 11:07 PM

Bikes: Banshee Paradox, jamis satellite, giant nrs 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think for myself it was my family. I made a decision that this was not just for me, but I needed to be there for my daughter and my wife as long as possible. I started this July at 234.5 and just hit 209, and still going. I have two goals. The first is 190 lbs (high school weight) , the second and more importantly was to be healthy. We can never predict our time, but I decided it shouldn’t be my fault for lack of effort. It reminds me of a high school coach who said I never played for myself, he was right, it‘s always been about multiple people. I’m just one of them. My motivation was right in front of me, yours maybe as well. Keep up the hard work!!!!
Old 02-01-11, 11:33 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Sayre Kulp
On those days that you really don't feel like working out, remember that no one has ever gone to the gym and said, "gee, I really wish I wouldn't have gotten that workout in."
Twaddle. Plenty of people, including myself, have worked out when they shouldn't have.

Old 02-02-11, 06:37 AM

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7.2 FX, 2011 Cannadale Synapse Carbon 6c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with every one who has posted. The biggest downfall I have of myself is making an excuse one day, and it carries over with an excuse the next day, and then two weeks later you say, ok, lets start over. It is a pattern that is repeated over and over. Over this past summer I was riding in 100 degree weather, and people in cars would ask me why at the light. As I told them, if I didn't ride today, then what would the excuse be tomorrow that it was cooler then today?

Also, the other thing that helped me was, instead of being so strict with food, I would sometimes bend on a cheese steak or something that was a reward. That way, I was not punishing myself for losing weight. You must have a lifestyle change, not diet. That lifestyle will afford a luxury every now and again.
Old 02-02-11, 09:33 AM

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
The difference for me is having had Total Knee Replacement just 12 weeks ago. I saw that as a second chance to do things I wasn't allowing myself to do. Whether for physical reasons or just being lazy. My work schedule does make it tough to get to the gym. But a bike on a trainer has been a big help to do at least SOMETHING daily... (even if that bike is turning out to be the wrong bike, the wrong bike is better than NO bike...) It sits in the front room, have to walk past it when I leave the house or come home. I have cut back on food intake, and have my wife working better foods into or daily diet. I'm not "dieting" so much as just eating better.
Old 02-02-11, 11:46 AM
Senior Moment Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coop218
So hear we go again, how many times have you said “ this is the year I’m going to get in shape”? I know I’ve said it to myself many a time, and it hasn't happen yet.
For those of you that have been successful in your fitness endeavors what made it stick? What are you doing differently this time that you didn’t do in your previous attempts at better fitness?
I'm hoping 2011 is my year. I starting laying the foundation in fall 2010. I've had some medical set-backs, but I'm trying to work thru (or around) them. Hey, baby steps are still progress, aren't they?

Things I'm doing:
1. Eliminated all carbonated beverages from my diet. I drink water, unsweetened tea, or occasionally juice or lemonade.
2. I joined the local YMCA and started taking a weekly water fitness and spin class.
3. Going to physical therapy to improve my range of motion of my two total knee replacements.
4. I've got 10 more pounds to lose before I start fencing again. It's not a pretty sight when you can't fit into your old gear.
5. Eating less. Eating less frequent. Eating less processed foods. Eating foods with less ingredients (listed on the label). Eating less take-out.
6. Eating more fruits and vegetables. Eating more at home.

Coop - It's never too late to start. Every day presents a new opportunity. Is there any way we can help?

Judy
Old 02-02-11, 12:47 PM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
For me, the difference is to quit making excuses and just do it. I just rode more miles in January than I've ever ridden in a month before. And, I'm trying to eat less, and eat better, and results are gradually showing up if I stay at it.

I've actually got some motivation, too. I'm signed up for my 2nd-ever 300k a week and a half from now, then a 400k a couple of weeks later, then a 600k a couple of weeks later...
Old 02-02-11, 01:36 PM

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
What motivates everyone is different. I haven't been to the gym in about 1 month and I'm fine with it. I usually take time off when I feel like it, and then ease back into it.

I think with me I have to learn balance and putting things in their place. I will get to wrapped in something and that's what I focus on to the detriment of other things. I guess its about harmony and knowing when to start something and knowing how to maintain it.
Old 02-02-11, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12193 Post(s)
Liked 1,496 Times in 1,108 Posts
The best exercise is the one you will actually do.

Try some new stuff. Maybe a spinning class, I like my Concept 2 rower a lot,
just started fooling around with kettlebells.

Right now I am taking a break, I'm halfway through shoveling my driveway.
That's aerobic as all get out.
Old 02-02-11, 02:12 PM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I joined my friends' CX team and paid for a team kit. It's pink and grey. A lot of pink. Too much pink to look good on somebody with my current build.
This is my motivation to ditch the last excess poundage.
If I'm gonna come in DFL wearing a pink and grey kit, I'm at least going to look lean while losing.
Old 02-02-11, 05:43 PM
Bulky Bullet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian
Twaddle. Plenty of people, including myself, have worked out when they shouldn't have.
It's different situations we're talking about here and you know it. My point was that even when you're feeling crappy, you typically feel better once you actually get going. Unless I injure myself, I ALWAYS feel better after the workout I didn't feel like going to.
Old 02-02-11, 05:45 PM
Riding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's different situations we're talking about here and you know it. My point was that even when you're feeling crappy, you typically feel better once you actually get going. Unless I injure myself, I ALWAYS feel better after the workout I didn't feel like going to.
Agreed. I can't think of any times when I worked out and shouldn't have. If anything I think working out on days I don't feel up to it is as important as working out when I feel great.
Old 02-02-11, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Never had a bad day, worked out REALLY hard - so hard that you had to stop halfway home, roll out of the car and into the ditch, and puke/dry heave your guts out?

Do that and I guaran-DAMN-tee you you'll never say you "ALWAYS feel better after the workout" again.

Or you can just trust me.
Old 02-02-11, 06:28 PM
Riding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
achoo, it sounds like you might have some other medical problems working against you... Puking is pretty normal when doing something like wind sprints for an extended period. But just a moderate workout.. that's not good.
Old 02-02-11, 07:21 PM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I understand what you're getting at; but it's more of a "when you're feeling unmotivated", rather than "when you're feeling crappy."

Might not be the same, but here's what happens to me when I start a workout when I'm feeling crappy.
The Spectacular DNF
Old 02-02-11, 08:26 PM
Bulky Bullet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo
Never had a bad day, worked out REALLY hard - so hard that you had to stop halfway home, roll out of the car and into the ditch, and puke/dry heave your guts out?

Do that and I guaran-DAMN-tee you you'll never say you "ALWAYS feel better after the workout" again.

Or you can just trust me.
I've puked my guts out post-workout before. Still didn't regret it.
Old 02-02-11, 08:32 PM
Bulky Bullet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
I understand what you're getting at; but it's more of a "when you're feeling unmotivated", rather than "when you're feeling crappy."

Might not be the same, but here's what happens to me when I start a workout when I'm feeling crappy.
The Spectacular DNF
Okay - so I guess the gray area here depends on your definition of "feeling crappy." Sick or injured is one thing. There are some times when it is NOT a good idea to workout. In the case of your DNF, I think the letter were more of a "Did Nothing Fatal" rather than simply "Did Not Finish." If it's just a matter of feeling tired, or sluggish, or mopey or unmotivated, then THAT is when I say you just need to suck it up and get moving because you will almost always feel better once you do.
Old 02-02-11, 09:24 PM
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sayre:

I think it's kinda interesting that while we agree on many things, we're pretty much at opposite ends of the spectrum on workout philosophy. Some of it is the 20 years difference in age. Some of it is the end result we desire. We've both answered the OP's question about how this time is different. We both have gone a considerable distance towards achieving our result. One of the things we share is the commitment to succeed. That may be the real reason why this time is different.
Old 02-03-11, 12:07 AM
Bulky Bullet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jethro56
Sayre:

I think it's kinda interesting that while we agree on many things, we're pretty much at opposite ends of the spectrum on workout philosophy. Some of it is the 20 years difference in age. Some of it is the end result we desire. We've both answered the OP's question about how this time is different. We both have gone a considerable distance towards achieving our result. One of the things we share is the commitment to succeed. That may be the real reason why this time is different.
That's a good point. You know what I think the secret is?

1) Identify your goal.
2) Figure out how you're going to reach your goal.
3) Go after your goal.

The trick? Find something you enjoy doing so that it's not like work.
Old 02-09-11, 12:53 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
As a half-dozen other people have pointed out, it's not so. Here are some specific reasons you might be better off not working out:

1. You are coming down with an illness.

2. You have been overtraining.

3. You are on the mend from an injury.

You seem to be the exception that wants to be the rule.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.