Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Which one of you guys flashed right in front of me

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Which one of you guys flashed right in front of me

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-11, 05:50 PM
Riding

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CritEastwood
You get an "F" in playing nicely.
Irony.
Old 02-18-11, 04:20 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Campione

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CritEastwood
I yell at them in my Drill Instructor voice with a hearty WTF.

Last week some gangy bangy kids on the SARTP in Stabba Anna got all riled up when I did that to the jackwagon in their group who darted across the path in front of me, right after looking at me heading his way at about 25mph. When one of the others Foxtrot Uniformed me, he was advised in so many words that if he felt the need to Foxtrot, he should also fulfill his Oedipal desires at the same time. Of course they didn't like that recommendation, but what could they do if they caught up to me anyways? It was a great laugh.
Stabba Ana? You so funny, Santa Ana isn't dangerous, way to perpetuate a stereotype.
Old 02-18-11, 04:50 PM

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThatFood
Stabba Ana? You so funny, Santa Ana isn't dangerous, way to perpetuate a stereotype.
Stabba Ana, the ghetto, etc. Crit has a ton of those play-on-words and they all crack me up. If the dude ever left this forum I'd never check it again.
Old 02-18-11, 06:05 PM

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Must be a pure coincidence that most SART assaults are reported in Santa Ana, not Hungtington Beach, Orange, Yorba or Corona. Not a sterotype when the statistics are there
Old 02-18-11, 06:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Genaro
Must be a pure coincidence that most SART assaults are reported in Santa Ana, not Hungtington Beach, Orange, Yorba or Corona. Not a sterotype when the statistics are there
Gringo here, I've lived/biked in Santa Ana my whole life, went to Santa Ana Highschool, walked through some of the 'worst' neighborhoods etc. Never had a single conflict. Could be the fact I'm 6'3 and 260lbs but...
Old 02-18-11, 06:19 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gringo here, I've lived/biked in Santa Ana my whole life, went to Santa Ana Highschool, walked through some of the 'worst' neighborhoods etc. Never had a single conflict. Could be the fact I'm 6'3 and 260lbs but...
Nah, it's not that....it's that you don't show attitude and aren't looking for trouble. I've never had a problem in that area in 18 years of living here either.
Old 02-18-11, 07:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Accordion
Nah, it's not that....it's that you don't show attitude and aren't looking for trouble. I've never had a problem in that area in 18 years of living here either.
Yeah probably..I love Santa Ana, more character than all cookie cutter **** surrounding it.
Old 02-19-11, 02:36 AM
Packers Fan

Bikes: 2010 Roubaix Expert

Liked 60 Times in 30 Posts
Santa Ana has more crime than most areas of Orange County. Stanton is possibly the worst, but Santa Ana is right up there.

If you don't believe a criminal defense attorney (me), ask a law enforcement officer.

For fun, look at the Megan's Law website for registered sex offenders. The map will show you the amount of blue squares in Santa Ana versus, say, Tustin/Irvine/Yorba Linda.

29 of the 75 homicides reported in Orange County in 2010 were in Santa Ana.

Exactly 0 of those were in Yorba Linda.

Irvine is "America's Safest City" according to the FBI.

You can tally anecdotal stories or you can tally crime statistics.

There are nice places in Santa Ana. My office is in a pretty decent part of it. That said, there is a lot of crime in that city.

FWIW, I've only ever had one small problem on the SART, and it was in Santa Ana, with a young male hispanic. I'm not one for jerseys, and I often ride in a tee shirt that is clearly related to law enforcement. Speak loudly, in commands, make eye contact, don't stop if you can avoid it. I'm around cops often enough that I can talk like a cop when needed. People who might give you trouble will respond to it favorably most of the time because they've likely had official contact with law enforcement before and know what it sounds/feels like.

Last edited by SVTNate; 02-19-11 at 02:49 AM.
Old 02-19-11, 08:52 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SVTNate
Santa Ana has more crime than most areas of Orange County. Stanton is possibly the worst, but Santa Ana is right up there.

If you don't believe a criminal defense attorney (me), ask a law enforcement officer.

For fun, look at the Megan's Law website for registered sex offenders. The map will show you the amount of blue squares in Santa Ana versus, say, Tustin/Irvine/Yorba Linda.

There are nice places in Santa Ana. My office is in a pretty decent part of it. That said, there is a lot of crime in that city.

FWIW, I've only ever had one small problem on the SART, and it was in Santa Ana, with a young male hispanic. I'm not one for jerseys, and I often ride in a tee shirt that is clearly related to law enforcement. Speak loudly, in commands, make eye contact, don't stop if you can avoid it. I'm around cops often enough that I can talk like a cop when needed. People who might give you trouble will respond to it favorably most of the time because they've likely had official contact with law enforcement before and know what it sounds/feels like.
:facepalm
Old 02-19-11, 11:04 PM
Packers Fan

facepalm?

Okay. I suppose you could just ask nicely to not be assaulted or have your bike stolen, or pretend that crime can't happen in your presence. Whatever works for you.

I find that acting confident and unafraid works pretty well without escalating the situation.
Old 02-21-11, 11:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why does it even matter what race he was? You are just another person perpetuating a stereotype. And youv'e just proven yourself to be quite the tool with your whole 'speak loudly, in commands' spiel. Your talking about people not animals, if you don't look like someone begging to be ****ed with, you wont get ****ed with. You have made it painfully obvious you have a problem with brown-skinned folk.
Old 02-21-11, 12:18 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Accordion
:facepalm
I can't stop laughing at the bolded text.
Old 02-21-11, 01:05 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Oh my GAWD those Latinos! They even try to mug me in the bike forums. I find this works well when I encounter those people....ALTO!
Old 02-21-11, 01:20 PM
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Welcome to Orangutan County. It's like Texas mated with Utah and their geologic offspring landed in California.

Old 02-21-11, 03:05 PM
Packers Fan

Why does it even matter what race he was? You are just another person perpetuating a stereotype. And youv'e just proven yourself to be quite the tool with your whole 'speak loudly, in commands' spiel. Your talking about people not animals, if you don't look like someone begging to be ****ed with, you wont get ****ed with. You have made it painfully obvious you have a problem with brown-skinned folk.
When someone threatens you and attempts to knock you off your bike, you can handle the situation however you'd like.

It's happened to me on the SART and I dealt with it in the manner described above.

I'm not saying yell at/order around every bicyclist that passes by or every child who slows you down. That would be idiotic. I've spoken in that manner one time on the SART, to one person. Anybody else gets smiles and waves from me, including Mr. Beans on numerous occasions.

I can see how my original post was not clear enough to explain the situation that I felt called for such a reaction, and of course one moron decides I'm a racist so otherwise intelligent people follow in kneejerk reaction. I don't see my reaction to the situation I was presented with on the SART as being unreasonable.

Last thing...

My girlfriend is "brown skinned folk". My partner is Hispanic. Most of the clients I help are Hispanic, my advertising dollars go mostly to Hispanic TV and print media, I speak Spanish (albeit poorly). Because I mentioned that my assailant was Hispanic, that makes me a racist? I'd love to hear the logic behind that one.

Last edited by SVTNate; 02-21-11 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-21-11, 06:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When someone threatens you and attempts to knock you off your bike, you can handle the situation however you'd like.

It's happened to me on the SART and I dealt with it in the manner described above.

I'm not saying yell at/order around every bicyclist that passes by or every child who slows you down. That would be idiotic. I've spoken in that manner one time on the SART, to one person. Anybody else gets smiles and waves from me, including Mr. Beans on numerous occasions.

I can see how my original post was not clear enough to explain the situation that I felt called for such a reaction, and of course one moron decides I'm a racist so otherwise intelligent people follow in kneejerk reaction. I don't see my reaction to the situation I was presented with on the SART as being unreasonable.

Last thing...

My girlfriend is "brown skinned folk". My partner is Hispanic. Most of the clients I help are Hispanic, my advertising dollars go mostly to Hispanic TV and print media, I speak Spanish (albeit poorly). Because I mentioned that my assailant was Hispanic, that makes me a racist? I'd love to hear the logic behind that one.
You didn't answer my question, why was the person's race important to the story? And just because your 'partner' is Hispanic doesn't make you not racist, either does the fact you put money towards Telemundo advertising, you would have to be an idiot to work as a lawyer in SA and not advertise on Spanish speaking networks. Shoot, I know Mexicans who are racist towards Mexicans. You are only doing more to further the negative stereotype of Santa Ana.
Old 02-22-11, 12:37 AM
Packers Fan

While it's probably not important in the context of telling a story on a message board, it's my job to know details and recognize them so when I retell a story I include as many details as I can recall, to a fault often times. While it may not be important, it's patently stupid to come to the conclusion that I'm a racist because I mentioned it.

I was born in Santa Ana. I work in Santa Ana. I have friends who are law enforcement in Santa Ana. Like many densely populated cities, there are nice places and not so nice places of the city. What is this stereotype you're talking about, anyway? That it's city with high crime? That is fact. There are many nice people who live and work there, and many of my clients are Hispanics who live in Santa Ana. Some are dangerous people, most are nice people with nice families. It's probably worth mentioning that in no small part did money I earned in Santa Ana from Santa Ana residents pay for my Roubaix Expert. I've got no issue with the city, it is what it is.

I'm not sure what this "negative stereotype" is, or how I further it with a true story of the one incident I've had while bicycling on the SART.

Aside from that incident, I can't recall having any problems in Santa Ana myself. Between my office and Central Justice Center, I'm there just about daily.
Old 02-22-11, 11:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While it's probably not important in the context of telling a story on a message board, it's my job to know details and recognize them so when I retell a story I include as many details as I can recall, to a fault often times. While it may not be important, it's patently stupid to come to the conclusion that I'm a racist because I mentioned it.

I was born in Santa Ana. I work in Santa Ana. I have friends who are law enforcement in Santa Ana. Like many densely populated cities, there are nice places and not so nice places of the city. What is this stereotype you're talking about, anyway? That it's city with high crime? That is fact. There are many nice people who live and work there, and many of my clients are Hispanics who live in Santa Ana. Some are dangerous people, most are nice people with nice families. It's probably worth mentioning that in no small part did money I earned in Santa Ana from Santa Ana residents pay for my Roubaix Expert. I've got no issue with the city, it is what it is.

I'm not sure what this "negative stereotype" is, or how I further it with a true story of the one incident I've had while bicycling on the SART.

Aside from that incident, I can't recall having any problems in Santa Ana myself. Between my office and Central Justice Center, I'm there just about daily.
>it's my job to know details and recognize them so when I retell a story I include as many details as I can recall
>only detail recalled
>hispanic

You must be a great lawyer. But no really, I'm just ****ing around. We have all been 'racist' at some point in our lives. I just find it funny that you say its part of your job to recall details, and race is all you could come up with.