Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Unintended consequences of weight loss

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Unintended consequences of weight loss

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-11, 04:31 PM
Riding

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Craig, AWESOME job on the weight loss man. Keep it up!
Old 02-07-11, 10:25 AM
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as loose skin is considered I was really concerned about it until the last month. I've noticed a big improvement with the last 8 lbs I've lost. I read somewhere that one must get really low bodyfat in order for the skin to tighten up. There may be something to this.
Old 02-07-11, 12:13 PM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by twobadfish
Craig, AWESOME job on the weight loss man. Keep it up!
Thanks. I'm on a temporary furlough right now. Between lower back issues many here have already read about, and this crummy crud I picked up last week (feels like the flu, but I already got both shots last fall), I'm on the IR list for the foreseeable future, and I'm sure it will have a deleterious affect on my numbers in the meantime. But you know what? I've decided that's just the way it is, and not lose any sleep over it for now. Unlike this cough and sore throat, which I am losing sleep over.
Old 02-07-11, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've lost 50 pounds since last May. Somebody who knew me and hadn't seen me for a few months asked me if I'd been sick. I told her no and explained how climbing burns calories like crazy.
Old 02-07-11, 02:42 PM

Bikes: Windsor Wellington 3.0

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I can't believe it took 16 posts to get to "cold all the time." Of course, in the Texas summer, that's a huge positive. I look forward to unloading all the weight I've gained back so I can "suffer" along with all of you.
Old 02-07-11, 03:52 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jethro56
As far as loose skin is considered I was really concerned about it until the last month. I've noticed a big improvement with the last 8 lbs I've lost. I read somewhere that one must get really low bodyfat in order for the skin to tighten up. There may be something to this.
This is what I have garnered from my research. The body stores body fat in different places, depending upon a number of factors. Getting one's body fat percentage down to the < 10-15% range, should cause the skin to retract to a more normal size. That said skin does lose resiliency with age, so it is possible that older folks may not recover fully.

Personally, I don't care if it does or doesn't. I was perfectly happy with my weight as it was. I just wasn't happy being told I was going blind--diagnosed with diabetic retinopathy. The change in lifestyle has managed to get my A1C down to 4.5. The doctor credits the Januvia, I place the lions share of credit on dietary and exercise changes along with weight loss. When I get close to my goal weight, I plan to ween myself off the Januvia and see if my A1C and blood glucose stay in the healthy range.

That said I am still very sore from my fall on Friday. First time I've fell on the ice and not had an ample derrier take the brunt of the impact... Not fun. Just received some strap on ice cleats for my shoes so this doesn't happen again. Maybe in a few days I will be able to sleep in my bed again... I think I am going to try resuming exercise again tomorrow... Even sore it doesn't feel right not to ride/walk...
Old 02-07-11, 06:53 PM

Bikes: Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Being an extreme pear, clothes off the rack never fitted me properly even when I was thin. Now that I'm big, they fit a little better, oddly enough. Pants are finally long enough, shirt cuffs don't end an inch or more above my wrists, I'm not constantly tugging sweaters down. Apparently commercial pattern drafters are a little too fond of the "offset" command in their cad programs. People don't get taller when they gain weight, but sloppy drafting makes the pattern pieces longer.
Old 02-08-11, 08:54 AM

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by twobadfish
Just curious... what happens if you regain that weight after those procedures? Is your skin back in regular condition or is it stretched/thinner?
It pops out elsewhere (ask me how I know... )

I'll never have a hanging gut in front because of the abdominoplasty, but when I put on a few extra pounds they go to my hips and but and upper thighs. It's like squeezing a balloon I guess.
Old 02-08-11, 10:56 AM
2nd Amendment Cyclist

Bikes: Schwinn 2010 World Street, Handsome Speedy w/ SRAM Apex

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Things I've noticed. Many are repeats of what's been said here...

Loose skin

Been there, done that. Still doing it, in fact.

At my post-surgery weight loss group meetings, this was a standard topic. I console myself by the knowledge that the skin has been with me a long time; while I don't particularly like it, I like it a lot better empty and loose than when it was full of fat.

It may shrink; it may not. C'est la vie.

Cold

I used to never get cold. My wife called me her heating blanket. Now I'm cold, and she's cold as a result. My heating bill has gone up some. I wear house slippers and robes and in the winter never go out without a hat or coat on.

My dog has gotten used to me suiting up to take her out. I just keep telling myself that I look dashing in a fedora and trench coat.

Clothes

Yeah. Everything's changed sizes. My HEAD is smaller (insert fathead jokes here), so my hats don't fit as well as they used to. This is no big deal for adjustable ball caps, but I have a couple of nice fedoras that ride the top of my ears now, and I hate to replace them when they're in good condition.

I spent the last year buying almost all of my clothes at Goodwill or other second-hand shops. Especially when I was going through rapid post-surgery weight loss, this was a godsend, as replacing your wardrobe can be expensive.

I typically bought 2-3 pair of shorts/pants, 4-6 shirtst, and wore them until they were baggy enough to look bad. Donate back (or pass on to friends and family), and repeat every six-eight weeks.

Here's a tip. If you have one or two articles of clothing that you absolutely love, take them to a tailor. If he says he can't get them to look good on you anymore, then count your blessings that you've lost as much as you have. But a good tailor can work wonders, so don't toss your beloved shirt or pair of pants out without at least seeing what one can do.

Now that I'm basically at my target weight, I'm buying less, but I'm a lot more picky about what I buy, as it'll stay around longer. I'm also having issues finding clothes that fit right. Pants that fit in the thighs (cycling) are too big in the waist. Shirts that fit my chest and shoulders are too baggy around my midsection. Who'd have thought?

I'll probably have to develop a long-lasting relationship with my tailor. There are worse consequences.

Social Issues

"Don't you think you've lost enough?"

"You're getting too thin."

etc...

These comments are like fortune cookies. But instead of adding "... in bed.", add "to make me feel comfortable about myself." It's not about how you look; it's about how looking the way you look makes them feel about themselves.

Most people, when they say this, do so from an unconscious insecurity. See, when you were fat, you were their security blanket that shielded them from their own health issues.

It's easy to feel good about yourself when you have a Fat Friend. After all, you might not be as trim as you were in college, but at least you're not as big as Fat Richard.

People tell themselves this for years. Decades. Your family, your friends. Your coworkers. Your (fat) presence made them feel better about themselves in comparison. And while they're happy that you were losing weight, there comes a point for each of them where your presence is no longer a comfort.

Keep losing weight past this point, and your (thin) presence makes them feel uncomfortable. See, they've been spending so much time thinking of you as their Fat Friend, that when they compare themselves to their Fat Friend, who is now thinner and/or healthier than they are, it makes them feel fat.

At this point, many of them, deep down, want you to fail, and start gaining again, to reassure themselves that it really is too hard (for them) to get healthy. That's a lot easier (for them) than facing uncomfortable realities about themselves and doing something about it. "So can I buy you a donut or twelve? Remember how much fun we had when we went to the all-you-can-eat pizza joint? Let's go back, my treat." Yeah... they'll sabotage you if they can, even if they don't consciously realize that's what they're doing.

WE have to look in the mirror and give our minds time to readjust to the entire concept of not being fat; our friends, loved ones, and coworkers have to go through the same process. Give them time. They may come around; if they don't, that's their problem.
Old 02-08-11, 11:10 AM
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RichardGlover: Excellent post!
Old 02-08-11, 11:19 AM
2nd Amendment Cyclist

Bikes: Schwinn 2010 World Street, Handsome Speedy w/ SRAM Apex

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
RichardGlover: Excellent post!
As they say, quantity has a quality all it's own.
Old 02-08-11, 12:43 PM

Bikes: 1992 Trek 950, 1994 Canondale M600, 2000 Cannondale C300, 2004 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2010 Salsa Vaya, 2013 Jamis Dragon - Team Issue, 2019 Salsa Timberjack, 2020 Tern Vektron

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sayre Kulp
Oh - and my other gripe is that this is my first "under-300" winter and I'm F-ing cold ALL THE TIME!!!
Layers my friends, layers....

Try coupling that with pre-peri-supercalifragilistic menopause... I'm taking clothes on and off so often I need a phone booth! ....ok... perhaps we shouldn't go there....

Last edited by ecovelo; 02-08-11 at 12:44 PM. Reason: font size
Old 02-08-11, 01:06 PM

Bikes: 1992 Trek 950, 1994 Canondale M600, 2000 Cannondale C300, 2004 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2010 Salsa Vaya, 2013 Jamis Dragon - Team Issue, 2019 Salsa Timberjack, 2020 Tern Vektron

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Excellent thread, and RichardGlover, thanks for the excellent post!

I am both moved and grateful for the relentless support and encouragement coming from these C/A threads! I have been intrigued by the "loose skin" idea and I think I use it ... or its potential to really limit any more progress in the fat loss/weight loss arena. For me it is just an excuse, I'm realizing - a distraction from being/staying disciplined with eating and focused in ritual movement, every day.

Again thanks for all the personal stories and the constant information and inspiration
Old 02-08-11, 01:16 PM

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Excellent thread, and RichardGlover, thanks for the excellent post!

I am both moved and grateful for the relentless support and encouragement coming from these C/A threads! I have been intrigued by the "loose skin" idea and I think I use it ... or its potential to really limit any more progress in the fat loss/weight loss arena. For me it is just an excuse, I'm realizing - a distraction from being/staying disciplined with eating and focused in ritual movement, every day.

Again thanks for all the personal stories and the constant information and inspiration
Old 02-08-11, 04:01 PM
Bulky Bullet

Bikes: Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nkfrench
An acquaintance of mine lost a lot of weight after a gastric bypass. She was so upset with the loose skin and sagging that she decided her appearance was better when she was obese. She was not motivated to follow instructions and keep the weight off, despite diabetes and other health problems. Last I checked she had regained to her pre-surgery weight plus a few more pounds. Her insurance covered the bariatric surgery but not any cosmetic surgery.

The surgery to remove loose skin is NOT trivial. It's expensive, leaves scars, has risks and a long recovery time. So many people assume it's no big deal -- as if it's similar to getting a haircut.

Loose skin won't always shrink back on its own, even after a few years, especially in aging or sun-damaged skin. Hopefully medical science is improving what they can do. The market for this type of intervention is growing.
Any surgery is a big deal. I'm at least fortunate in that the only area that has a massive amount of baggie skin is just my belly. I know someone who, like me, lost a similar amount of weight naturally and then decided to have that extra skin taken care of surgically. In a perfect world, it wouldn't be necessary. But I'm getting ahead of myself. I still have some more weight to lose first!
Old 02-08-11, 04:03 PM
Bulky Bullet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxxxie
A few years back, I lost around 28Kg from cycling and eating better. There are things they don't tell you in the weight loss brochure. The biggest one for me was having to replace my entire wardrobe. I'm still in denial about it. I've replaced one pair of pants and five shirts - enough to see me through a working week. But everything else is still on hold. It's an expensive thing to have to do. The worst part is if your weight loss is still a work in progress, because you're going to have to buy many sets of clothes until you reach your goal weight. In the end, my pants were falling off me (even with a belt) before I had to bite the bullet and replace them. I still wear my "fat" shirts from time to time, because I'm such a cheapskate!

And yes, I'm now cold in winter. Thanks very much, weight loss! Now my clothes are too big AND I'm cold!!!

Max
Been there - done that. Happily, the Historian was also shedding pounds and was able to send a few shirts and a pair of jeans my way. It took a little of the sting out of having to replace the entire wardrobe.
Old 02-08-11, 04:10 PM
Bulky Bullet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardGlover
It's easy to feel good about yourself when you have a Fat Friend. After all, you might not be as trim as you were in college, but at least you're not as big as Fat Richard.

People tell themselves this for years. Decades. Your family, your friends. Your coworkers. Your (fat) presence made them feel better about themselves in comparison. And while they're happy that you were losing weight, there comes a point for each of them where your presence is no longer a comfort.

Keep losing weight past this point, and your (thin) presence makes them feel uncomfortable. See, they've been spending so much time thinking of you as their Fat Friend, that when they compare themselves to their Fat Friend, who is now thinner and/or healthier than they are, it makes them feel fat.

At this point, many of them, deep down, want you to fail, and start gaining again, to reassure themselves that it really is too hard (for them) to get healthy. That's a lot easier (for them) than facing uncomfortable realities about themselves and doing something about it. "So can I buy you a donut or twelve? Remember how much fun we had when we went to the all-you-can-eat pizza joint? Let's go back, my treat." Yeah... they'll sabotage you if they can, even if they don't consciously realize that's what they're doing.
Yup - learning all about this one.
Old 02-08-11, 04:11 PM
Bulky Bullet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any surgery is a big deal. I'm at least fortunate in that the only area that has a massive amount of baggie skin is just my belly. I know someone who, like me, lost a similar amount of weight naturally and then decided to have that extra skin taken care of surgically. In a perfect world, it wouldn't be necessary. But I'm getting ahead of myself. I still have some more weight to lose first!
Oh - and I have to agree with the part about how I like the loose, baggy skin much more now than when it was full of fat. It sounds kind of weird, but I know exactly how you feel.
Old 02-08-11, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Hair loss. I was told by a friend that the scalp can shrink with weight loss and the hair in that lost are dies and falls out.
Old 02-08-11, 09:07 PM

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
+1 on the feeling colder.

Here's something I've noticed, but only on a smaller scale (I've lost 20lb).

Water Retention
I'm seriously running to have a pee all the time now!

I always sit at my desk with a water bottle beside me and I've noticed that as I'm slimming down I seem to get 'full' quicker, then the urge to go comes on stronger and faster than usual. I don't think I'm drinking any more.

Question: Is it something to do with having less fat to act as a buffer for storing water (like a camel!) or does something weird happen like my bladder is shrinking?

On the topic of large skin folds, my sister is an ambulance paramedic and has some rather gross stories. Often they have to go and treat morbidly obese patients 'in-situ' because these folks have great mobility problems (ie can't get to hospital or the doctor). Hygiene is very hard to maintain and skin issues are common (as Jim pointed out). She has had to get one paramedic to hold the extra skin out of the way (both hands and pushing) while she performs a procedure - all the while she has to have her face in a stinky cheese smell. She tells these stories over dinner, of course...

She has mentioned the surgery too. Lots of risk of excessive blood loss, so it can be a very dangerous procedure. It's not as simple as a snip and re-join.
Old 02-09-11, 12:25 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Been there - done that. Happily, the Historian was also shedding pounds and was able to send a few shirts and a pair of jeans my way. It took a little of the sting out of having to replace the entire wardrobe.
This is a "pay it forward" on my part. When I lost weight in 2006-2007 the former BF poster Uncadan passed on to me a bunch of clothes HE shrank out of. Uncadan's motivation was a blog posting I made describing my giving away most of my former wardrobe. So when Sayre was at a point where he needed to get rid of the 5x stuff he was wearing, I felt I had to help him out.

Old 02-09-11, 12:32 AM
Neil_B

When I was 250 something four years ago, I saw a dermatologist about getting moles removed. She said I had so much loose skin I could have them all taken off and they'd not need to do any grafting. They also mentioned I could have my gynecomastia taken care of at the same time because "they're just skin sacs now." I didn't have it done, but I still felt pretty fat at 250 something.

Old 02-09-11, 12:35 AM
Neil_B

I spent the last year buying almost all of my clothes at Goodwill or other second-hand shops. Especially when I was going through rapid post-surgery weight loss, this was a godsend, as replacing your wardrobe can be expensive.
Seconded. I've been doing the same. If you choose well folks can't tell the difference between new and pre-owned, and that's more money to spend on bike stuff.

Old 02-09-11, 12:40 AM
Neil_B

Here's a tip. If you have one or two articles of clothing that you absolutely love, take them to a tailor. If he says he can't get them to look good on you anymore, then count your blessings that you've lost as much as you have. But a good tailor can work wonders, so don't toss your beloved shirt or pair of pants out without at least seeing what one can do.
I believe a tailor can take in a suit up to two sizes before the work becomes a problem.

Old 02-09-11, 07:00 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by JonnyHK
On the topic of large skin folds, my sister is an ambulance paramedic and has some rather gross stories. Often they have to go and treat morbidly obese patients 'in-situ' because these folks have great mobility problems (ie can't get to hospital or the doctor). Hygiene is very hard to maintain and skin issues are common (as Jim pointed out). She has had to get one paramedic to hold the extra skin out of the way (both hands and pushing) while she performs a procedure - all the while she has to have her face in a stinky cheese smell. She tells these stories over dinner, of course...
Not to mention that sometimes you can't perform certain things. My medical charts for my life-changing hospitalization five years ago show that the doctor was unable to hear my lungs properly due to my excess flesh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.