Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Long Shot: Any 50+ers in Naples, Fla or immediate area?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-11, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts

As it says on the tin! Frau and I stay a week or so every Feb. (19th to 26th this year) in Naples to escape our G...awful SW Ontario winters (my wife has a long-standing relationship with the city through her family as well).
Just wondering: does anyone know of any reputable bike rentals, i.e. not cruisers etc. but decent road-hybrid or road bikes?
Cheers, and thanks in advance.
Old 02-05-11, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do a search. Someone, I don't remember who, from this forum is from Ft. Myers, and I'm sure can help you out. We discussed riding in the Ft. Myers area just a few months ago.
Old 02-05-11, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Badger,
You want to do some winter biking? You have found the place. I will be going out in the morning from Bonita Springs....half way between Naples and Ft. Myers. It will be 65 degrees when we leave and probably around 75 when we finish the ride. Can't ask for better than that. We do a hard paceline ride three times a week. The oldest in our group is 73 and the youngest 60. There are a number of nice routes with the distance of your choosing. I would recommend driving up to the Coconut Point Trek store and renting a couple of nice road bikes if that is to your liking. They can give you maps which will take you through nice country, flat and safe. Bike lanes all the way.
If you prefer Specialized or a number of other brands, check with Naples Cyclery, another good road bike shop on Vanderbilt Beach Road and 41 right in Naples.
Steve

Last edited by OLBKR; 02-05-11 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-06-11, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Cheers both for the replies ... thanks very much!
Steve,
Thanks for this ... I know the location of both those shops, so will contact them. Re. winter cycling ... I know!!! We've been staying at the Edgewater on Gulfshore the past three years/there again this year ... frequently see cyclists (alone and in groups) heading up/down. Looks great to me; I've already pretty much worked out a route that stays along the shore, or near enough, working both directions (down to the pier/downtown Naples, and back up/along heading north), but will be keen to explore other options.
By the bye ... Bonita Springs, hmm? We've a line on a home (short-term rental) in that area beginning next year ... looks a nice location.
Thanks again,
B.
Old 02-06-11, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Badger,
Sounds like you have things well in hand. If you choose to take slower rides along the gulf, then Naples Cyclery is the place to reserve a couple of bikes. They will also set you up with the appropriate maps to get you where you want to go and back. From their store you can ride through some beautiful areas of Naples including Port Royal (called Millionaire's Row, although these days more appropriately called Billionaire's Row).
Steve