Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear derailleur won't shift into highest gears.

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-06-11, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I searched and tried some of the suggestions but none have worked.

New Giant TCR Composite with 105 5700. I've put 600 miles on it and decided to do the tune up myself. Ever since I first got it, it wouldn't shift into the highest and lowest gears. I messed with the limit screws and barrel adjuster and now it wont shift into the lowest 2 gears. I have the cable bolt undone and the derailleur just sits there. But it will shift the cable all the way into the spokes so I'm assuming it's an easy fix.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-06-11, 01:56 AM
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Try this: https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...nts-derailleur

Make sure the shifter is in the highest gear (all the cable is released).

Before adjusting the rear derailleur, look at it from behind. It should be parallel to the wheel, and not bent in.
Old 02-06-11, 08:21 AM
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
LOL Sounds like you need a slap on the rist as well as a little advice!

Originally Posted by H3RM
I searched and tried some of the suggestions but none have worked.

New Giant TCR Composite with 105 5700. I've put 600 miles on it and decided to do the tune up myself. Ever since I first got it, it wouldn't shift into the highest and lowest gears. I messed with the limit screws and barrel adjuster and now it wont shift into the lowest 2 gears. I have the cable bolt undone and the derailleur just sits there. But it will shift the cable all the way into the spokes so I'm assuming it's an easy fix.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Just for fun - if as you posted - that`s a NEW bike: Shouldn`t it be covered by warranty? Particularly if the bike never shifted properly from day one? And if you were to bring it back at this point - how would you think the shop would feel aboud having to fix an issue after you`ve mucked around and complicated things?

But OK - too late to go back now - so s
lets see if you can do this on your own. The previous poster gave you some good advice but I`m going to expand on it as there`s no telling exactly where the derailleur is positioned now.

If you brought me that bike I`d first disconnect the cable from the derailleur (one allenhead screw), and then unscrew the adjuster completely so that bothe the adjuster and cable are off the derailleur. The cable crimp will fit through the adjuster screw hole no problem.

That should be a top-normal derailleur which means that without any cable attached, it should want to change to top gear. Assuming you have a bicycle stand, just turn the pedals and thats what should happen. If it does`t reach top gear, back off the `H` limiting screw until it does and fine tune untill the chain runs quietly,but there is still some contact between the screw and the backing surface. That`s the correct position for the `H` limit screw.

Next, re-install the cable and adjustment screw and screw the the adjustment screw all the way in before taking all the slack out of the cable and clamping it again. The cable should be taunt, but have no tension in it.

To set the cable tension, switch to the next highest gear and back off the adjuster till the derailleur shifts the chain to that gear and it runs quietly. The only other thing you should need to adjust is the `L` limit screw either to permit the derailleur to reach the lowest gear or to keep it from going past it.

If that all works out, run the derailleur through the gears as a final confirmation, take the bike off the stand and take the bike out for a coffee. OK - you can call it a road test if you want !
Old 02-06-11, 08:28 AM

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
1. if it is a new bike then take it back to the shop to have them do the adjustment. Normally with a new purchase you get a year's worth of adjustment and annual tune-up. This is the reason buying from a LBS was a good idea.

2. I don't understand how you can't get the 2 lower gears but the derailleur goes all the way to the spokes.
Old 02-06-11, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a good chance the derailleur hanger is bent.

For smooth shifting, this the best $50 I ever spent:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
31faVR%2BcbsL._AA300_.jpg (6.6 KB, 181 views)