Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Can't be to careful out there.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-11, 07:05 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I was in the bike lane and a string of trucks with horse trailers came by. The last one cut over into my bike lane and very nearly crushed me against the curb. Had I not got on the binders hard and quickly, this nut would have gotten me. I yelled as loud as I could and he pulled over into his lane again. As I caught back up to him at the next light I could see he was on a cell phone. Well I lost it. I started to give him a tongue lashing at the light. The people across the street were wondering what was going on. When the light turned green I said to them " cell phone driver nearly ran me over", and about that time here he comes and pulled into the bike lane again. I know I should have just let it go but... grrrrrrrrr.
Old 02-12-11, 07:12 PM
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil85207
and about that time here he comes and pulled into the bike lane again.
Possibly intentionally the second time. I'm glad you're OK.
Old 02-12-11, 08:53 PM

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Last summer as I passed a parked utility van, the man in the drivers seat threw a banana skin out the window.
I circled around, picked it up and threw it back in his still open window.

Felt good, but people have been killed for less.
Old 02-13-11, 09:36 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by skilsaw
Last summer as I passed a parked utility van, the man in the drivers seat threw a banana skin out the window.

Not recommended action but I would love to see the video.
Old 02-13-11, 09:44 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by skilsaw

Like to live dangerously do you?

But, I would have loved to have been there and watched.
Old 02-13-11, 09:47 AM
Banned.

I was in the bike lane and a string of trucks with horse trailers came by. The last one cut over into my bike lane and very nearly crushed me against the curb. Had I not got on the binders hard and quickly, this nut would have gotten me. I yelled as loud as I could and he pulled over into his lane again. As I caught back up to him at the next light I could see he was on a cell phone. Well I lost it. I started to give him a tongue lashing at the light. The people across the street were wondering what was going on. When the light turned green I said to them " cell phone driver nearly ran me over", and about that time here he comes and pulled into the bike lane again. I know I should have just let it go but... grrrrrrrrr.
On the Ride the Rockies many moons ago, as we were leaving Granby while crossing a bridge, a semi with a flatbed cut the corner too wide and the rear wheels almost took out a female rider with no place to go on the bridge. Scary. She got through OK, but it was a bit close. Glad you got through OK.
Old 02-13-11, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
This is why you should always carry a grenade. You could have tossed it into the horse trailer. bk

Not really.
Old 02-13-11, 04:08 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Glad you're ok.
Drivers are nuts!!
Here's what happened to me today.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 02-14-11, 11:31 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Be careful before yelling at drivers. They are in big, heavy, powerful vehicles. You're on some 18 lb. contraption that offers no protection. I've tried all kinds of strategies in dealing with discourteous/dangerous drivers. the best for me has been to spread my arms and open my hands palm upward as if asking "what the hell are you doing?" They can usually see me in their rear view mirrors. Very non-confrontative. Sometimes I've been able to catch up with drivers at lights and tap on their windows. When they lower them I point out what they did. This is a friendly way to do things but not always effective. I've gotten into arguments this way.
Old 02-14-11, 11:52 AM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Get their Lic # and call the police. Report them for reckless driving.
Old 02-14-11, 12:00 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by jackb
Be careful before yelling at drivers. They are in big, heavy, powerful vehicles. You're on some 18 lb. contraption that offers no protection. I've tried all kinds of strategies in dealing with discourteous/dangerous drivers. the best for me has been to spread my arms and open my hands palm upward as if asking "what the hell are you doing?" They can usually see me in their rear view mirrors. Very non-confrontative. Sometimes I've been able to catch up with drivers at lights and tap on their windows. When they lower them I point out what they did. This is a friendly way to do things but not always effective. I've gotten into arguments this way.
Why place oneself in a position to have an argument with an unknown quantity? Will that actually change their behavior in the future? That's not why I bicycle. How about simply ignoring the whole thing, or, at the very most, license plate and cell phone. Even then, it is always aggravating to me to phone the police - they always want a whole lot of info, descriptions, etc., etc.
Old 02-14-11, 12:28 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Ironic thread title is ironic.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 02-14-11, 01:21 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
To ignore a dangerous incident caused by a driver is, in a way, to condone it. Any way that would communicate the driver's error to the driver that would be non-hostile would be better than saying nothing. but, of course, there is always a risk involved. In all my interactions over the forty years I've been riding, I've never gotten into anything more than an argument, never escalating to the point of violence. I assume that if I were right, the incident might have some possible effects on the driver the next time he interacts with a cyclist. But, of course, there is no guarantee. But it's all a matter of one's personality and inclinations..
Old 02-14-11, 01:42 PM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have actually had a few drivers be contrite when they do a brain dead stunt. Their brains obviously functioned well enough for them to know that they had done something stupid and put someone else's life at risk. My response was always, "just try to be careful". Everyone makes slips. Automobiles are dangerous machinery as our traffic death toll indicates.
Old 02-14-11, 03:30 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
To ignore a dangerous incident caused by a driver is, in a way, to condone it. Any way that would communicate the driver's error to the driver that would be non-hostile would be better than saying nothing. but, of course, there is always a risk involved. In all my interactions over the forty years I've been riding, I've never gotten into anything more than an argument, never escalating to the point of violence. I assume that if I were right, the incident might have some possible effects on the driver the next time he interacts with a cyclist. But, of course, there is no guarantee. But it's all a matter of one's personality and inclinations..
There is a difference between communicating the driver's error to the driver and this:

I started to give him a tongue lashing at the light.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."