Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A kid, again!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

A kid, again!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-11, 11:50 PM
old

Bikes: two, at present

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A kid, again!

I've spent most of the winter indoors on a stationary trainer (fluid) gradually climbing the gears. It was getting kind of old, like my attitude. There have been less than a dozen days riding outside since snow flew back in November. Last year was pretty much the same as were most prior years. Winter is easing up here but the majority of my hours on a bike are still indoors.

Today however, was different. I bought a set of rollers. It has been more than 20 years since I've been on rollers and I was pretty sure I could figure out the balance needed to stay upright. But, there was a nagging question mark in the dark recesses of my brain - Would I be up to the test?

This evening I set the rollers up and fit them to the road bike. I slipped one of my favorite CDs into the boom box and climbed aboard. Starting out I was next to a wall without being clipped in to the pedals. The first track on the CD saw a few false starts. By the start of the second track I'd repositioned everything next to a bookcase, but that turned out to be to unstable to rely upon. By the third track I had moved to the doorway between the exercise/gear room and the shop. That was were I started to get it. Elbows could be flared to the door jamb for stability and I was paying attention to keep my cadence up. "Now we are getting somewhere." I said to myself, ahhh delusion! I was going nowhere fast

But, I'd gotten to the point were I was not relying on the door jam continuously and when the fourth song ended I new I had it back. Twenty + years evaporated and I couldn't wipe the grin off my face.

Half an hour later I was realizing that this is significantly more of a workout than riding the stationary trainer in the same gears. Perhaps it was the level of concentration required, perhaps the whole body musculature that was called upon for balance. I noticed that my rear wheel bounced very slightly with each pedal stroke - not as smooth and round as I'd thought. And, in a couple places muscles where tightening up where they wouldn't either on the road or on the stationary trainer.

At one hour I decided that was enough for a first go. WOW!!! What a great workout. It completely refreshed my attitude and my outlook on indoor training. Sure, this to can get old if I rely on it to much. But, for the present I feel like a kid again.
Old 02-15-11, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just want to hook you up to a machine like in The Triplets of Belleville.
Old 02-15-11, 08:55 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Great to hear you had fun on the rollers! I haven't ridden them since I moved to CA (from MO), but I noticed my wife has some rollers stuffed way back in the garage, so maybe some day when it's raining I'll try them out.

I used to ride my fixed gear bike on rollers . . .many years ago; that might be fun to try again!

Rick / OCRR
Old 02-15-11, 10:19 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome to roller world Old!.

Using the doorway as a safety net is the way to go. I still keep my rollers next to the pool table for the occasional prop I need and for a platform for the workout directions. I alternate the rollers and trainer for my indoor workouts. I'm on my third season using rollers and have become accustomed and confortable while riding them. I recently put egg beater pedals on the bike and completed isolated leg drill ladders using different gears and cadences. I even had to learn to ride no-hands this year in order to complete my assigned workouts. I made this movie to help get over my fear: https://www.xtranormal.com/watch/8195197/

Yesterday's workout had me riding 4 x 8' Z4 intervals on the rollers. I hit the outdoor rides with the smoothest pedal stroke. I should go back in early summer and do a couple roller rides to maintain the smoothness garnered while indoors.
Old 02-15-11, 02:15 PM
old

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Triplets of Belleville" Yes, my wife and I enjoyed that immensely; thanks for the reminder. We'll get it from the library. But, I don't fancy being chained to the machinery that way.

Isn't the rainy season just about finished in Whittier? I'd imagine there are lots of opportunities to ride/train with other cyclists in your neck of the woods. Here, most of the riding is solitary if one isn't a club racer.

Hey, A. J. thanks for the welcome. I'd been toying with the idea of rollers for years but finally got to the point where my wife was unhappy with sharing the trainer. That was the needed impetus. I plan to keep using the doorway for a while and eventually will attach the resistance unit that came with the rollers. I suspect it will be a while before I start using them for formal intervals. As for your movie, I like the humor of your wife calling you nuts. And, I doubt I'll be one of the young punks you are training to beat. Racing has never been my scene; I'm more of an endorphin junkie.

One thing I realized about using the rollers is that besides improving my balance it will improve the overall (indoor) workout gestalt. Using the stationary trainer can now be seen more easily for the specificity it provides. Of course someone more analytical than I could break down the roller benefits; I'm not there yet. But, I'm happy that my riding has some new momentum till time on the road becomes more frequent than time riding indoors.
Old 02-15-11, 04:35 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=old;12229962Isn't the rainy season just about finished in Whittier? I'd imagine there are lots of opportunities to ride/train with other cyclists in your neck of the woods.[/QUOTE]

Well, not really. It's raining in Whittier as I type this. Lots of other riders to train with though, no problem there, even if it is raining!

Rick / OCRR
Old 02-15-11, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I remember roller workouts. Not sure I'd describe them as making be feel like a kid again. Given I have a pretty severe case of ADD, I frequently found myself laying on my side completely strapped in, because "six inches either way on a set of rollers" makes a great deal of difference.
Old 02-15-11, 05:19 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
And I got refreshed and "young again" with 60+ temps under a beautiful blue sky in Colorado with a 1.5 hour ride!! BUT, congatulations on your roller success. Sounds like good exercise.
Old 02-16-11, 05:08 AM
bici accumulatori

Bikes: 1985 Nishiki International Touring Bike, 1992 Vitus 979 road bike, 1996 Bianchi Premio road bike, 2002 Thin Blue LIne CO2 mountain bike, 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa touring bike, 1964 CCM roadster, 1959 CCM Motorbike, 2002 KHS FXT mtb + more to fix!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got that "kid again" feeling last night, I went and bought 2 old CCM coaster brake bikes, a 1959 like the one my brother used to take me for rides on in the newspaper basket and a 1964 like the one I rode from age 9 til about 14. Another aspect of being a kid again - how do I tell the wife? I had way too many bikes before I bought these two!
Old 02-16-11, 05:22 AM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like's wonderful, Crank On.

Been learning to program my new Polar cs200cad. so far so good and haven't run into anything yet.

I'll post a ride report tomorrow.
Old 02-16-11, 10:23 AM
old

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is pretty amazing how that 'Kid again' feeling can show up unexpectedly. Take Burr's Polar cs200000cadxxx47r19 programming for example. After a career in programming that's the last thing I ever want to do. I guess there is a measure of truth in the old saying "one man's medicine is another man's poison." For NOS88 falling off rollers repeatedly might qualify as poison. Oh, wait, maybe this is the wrong thread for that quote.

Point being, that 'kid again' feeling helps keep one young at heart. I'm glad I could share my experience of feeling lighthearted.
Old 02-16-11, 10:31 AM
old

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pinerider
... Another aspect of being a kid again - how do I tell the wife? I had way too many bikes before I bought these two!
Perhaps there are lessons we missed learning when younger, getting another chance to learn them can be a double edged sword, but at least it is a chance to learn. Suggestion for you Pinerider, gift one of the bikes to your wife. Make it a win/win situation for both of you. Unless bicycles are her poison...
Old 02-16-11, 06:39 PM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I spent most of my life programing phone systems!

I almost live online and have a network of friends all over the world that I can email or talk with over my VoIP.

I AM A HAPPY OLD MAN
Old 02-16-11, 07:08 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum old. I'm glad something makes you feel like a kid again, for me it's just getting on the bike and heading out. As luck would have it, I am in the Arizona desert and there are not to many off days due to the weather. Don't hate me but this was todays ride.
https://connect.garmin.com/activity/68642299
Old 02-16-11, 07:18 PM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have fun Phil, enjoy

Crank On!
Old 02-16-11, 09:25 PM
old

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Burr, don't get me wrong. I certainly appreciate the technology, take Phil's Garmin mapping/gps (my programming career) for example. The connectivity in our lifetime is amazing. I just don't fancy spending all day every day in front of computers any more. I'm still amazed when I Skype friends around the world and it is as if they are in the next room.
And Phil., I don't hate you for the ride. I'm just green with envy - except for the part where your heart rate and cadence both spiked over 200 at mile 32. Where's that ambulance??? Then again, I hear Mesa can get pretty toasty in July.
Old 02-16-11, 10:15 PM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No Problem.

Have a great time and keep cranking and posting.

PS: I was making a joke bout programing while riding!
I programed it at home and it should be set from now.
Old 02-16-11, 10:19 PM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is wonderful what the world has come to in our life time!
Old 02-17-11, 05:09 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
And Phil., I don't hate you for the ride. I'm just green with envy - except for the part where your heart rate and cadence both spiked over 200 at mile 32. Where's that ambulance??? Then again, I hear Mesa can get pretty toasty in July. quote:

I had just left my turn around point at Einstein Bagels, (34 mi) I was there to long and my chest strap must have dried out some. I noticed the high HR and I wet the strap and was back to normal. If I move the crank backwards I think I get the spike in the cadence, but not sure.