Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Upgrading my bike and where to start?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-11, 06:24 AM
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogsterca
If the cell phone isn't getting coverage, how are you going to call a cab? A piece of Tyvek about 10cm square will do the same job, if you know someone doing some building ask for a small piece of the house wrap, it works just as well.
Walk to the nearest house and ask to use their phone...or send a smoke signal.

Good tip on the Tyvek, but I also like the idea that my tire boot could also buy me a snack if need be.
Old 02-17-11, 08:16 AM

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Just remember to replenish the snack fund... I forgot once...

I have carried small sections of tire as a boot too.
Old 02-17-11, 09:21 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabong30

Here's the bike. I'm gonna take a freebie flat fix and basic maintenance class from the LBS and get my kit together. I really appreciate the advice all, I'm gonna keep putting miles on it, and meet needs as they crop up (or as they scream out at me from the shelf LOL).
What many do is carry a spare tube or two, when you get a puncture or flat, note I said when, not if, it's usually cold, dark, wet and your a long way from home or car. An experienced person doing a repair with a spare tube can have it done in about a minute two tops, it takes 5-7 minutes for a glue repair, less with the glueless patches but they are not a permanent repair. Of course if you have a blow out or a valve leak, patches will not help, so you really should carry a spare tube anyway. I have a traditional glue patch kit, and on a nice sunny warm afternoon, I will take my punctured tube and patch it. I then goes back on the shelf with the others. When I replace a tire, I put on a new tube, the old one goes on the spares shelf. This can mean that there are a bunch of spares, when I lived in Toronto we had a nail in the garage, it would hold punctured, unrepaired tubes, until I started running low, and then I could end up doing 3 or 4 at once. Once they were repaired they were folded up and put on a shelf, when one got punctured, it went on the nail and I grabbed one from the shelf. We moved and so has the shelf, but none of the tubes on it are patch free.... If it can't be repaired, I toss it.
Old 02-17-11, 09:33 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,202 Times in 2,358 Posts
It's a 21" and I'm 6'3. It fits quite well, I think maybe the photo screws with the perspective.
Raise your saddle. Your knees will thank you for it.

Your leg should be almost straight when you are at the bottom of the pedal stroke. The way you have it set up now is way too low, especially if you are on a 21" bike.

Don't go throwing a lot of money at the bike to change anything. Factory fresh this bike is about as good as it gets for the money. Put a pump, a patch kit, a spare tube and something to carry them in. Perhaps a rack so that you can carry stuff. Add a computer so that you can track miles and speed if that's important to you. Otherwise just ride the wheels off the bike.

I would also suggest that once you find that you've progressed beyond this bike's capabilities, you look at another bike rather then try to upgrade this one into a better bike. You can keep this one as a commuter/utility bike.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-17-11, 01:36 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Roubaix Elite Apex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm currently riding an old MTB with shocks similar to those (but lower end, i can't lock the shocks).
if you're doing road riding, i'd get rid of the front fork and get one without shocks <--- if you can't lock the shocks from compressing and robbing you of your pedaling power.

just my $.02
it's a pain trying to get up the slightest hill out of the saddle. the shock sucks up all the power i was attempting to put to the pedals.
Old 02-17-11, 01:52 PM

Bikes: 2020 Veego 750, 2011 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 08 Trek 7200, Very Old Schwinn Cruiser

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I was thinking something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-A53...7896714&sr=1-1
I also have these pedals on my bike. I like that I can clip or not depending on what I am wearing (shoe) or where I am.
Old 02-17-11, 03:05 PM

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
1) Home floor pump with a gauge
2) A lock
Old 02-17-11, 03:25 PM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's a 21" and I'm 6'3. It fits quite well, I think maybe the photo screws with the perspective.
That bike looks too small for me and I'm five seven.
Old 02-17-11, 04:31 PM

Bikes: Trek Navigator 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I will play around with raising the seat I promise it's not too small. Now, I will say that my trunk is long rather than necessarily being long legged so that may make a difference. This is me (from the before/after thread):
Old 02-17-11, 04:42 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I promise it's not too small.
All this fuss has got me curious, what size is the bike? Should be tag on the seattube.
Old 02-17-11, 04:54 PM

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

While I will play around with raising the seat I promise it's not too small. Now, I will say that my trunk is long rather than necessarily being long legged so that may make a difference. This is me (from the before/after thread):
Hybrids are sized more like mountain bikes so a 21" is huge. It's the bail off room (2" to 3") that you need while mountain biking that makes the frames smaller. But that also means that you need to raise the saddle more. Here's what seat post looks like for mountain biking

cruising

and for a road bike

Notice how much post is sticking out on each one. The mountain bikes are 19" which is my size. The road bike is a 58cm (23") and is my size in road bikes. In order to get the proper extension on my leg, I have to have the saddles that high.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-17-11, 05:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup, that's 21" which is the biggest they make for that bike. The guy at the shop seemed to think it was fine as well.

https://www.ebicycles.com/custom/cont...tain-bikes.pdf

I realize it's not a mountain bike, but it's as close as I could think of.

Also, it's considered a "comfort" bike so the geometry is different. It's supposed to allow you to "sit up" rather than be leaned over. For now this is good because my back would not abide being leaned over for too awfully long.

Last edited by Kabong30; 02-17-11 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-17-11, 05:46 PM

Yup, that's 21" which is the biggest they make for that bike. The guy at the shop seemed to think it was fine as well.

https://www.ebicycles.com/custom/cont...tain-bikes.pdf

I realize it's not a mountain bike, but it's as close as I could think of.

Also, it's considered a "comfort" bike so the geometry is different. It's supposed to allow you to "sit up" rather than be leaned over. For now this is good because my back would not abide being leaned over for too awfully long.
The fit and geometry are only...or at least, mostly... important from the waist (hips, actually) up. From there down to the pedals, everyone's fit is pretty much the same. Your leg should be nearly fully extended with only have a slight bend at the bottom of the downstroke. That doesn't matter if it's bikes like mine, a bike like yours (more feet forward than mine) or recumbents.

Old 02-17-11, 06:16 PM
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cyccommute: You're not fooling me. All three of those bikes fit in the picture. So they must be the same size.
Old 02-17-11, 07:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raised the seat about halfway through my ride tonight. Made a huge difference, thanks for the advice!