Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Topeak baby carrier

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Topeak baby carrier

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-11, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Topeak baby carrier

I know it's a bit early as my baby is only a week old, but anybody use one of the topeak baby carriers? Thinking about buying a new rack (for many reasons) and eventually a baby carrier and wondering if anyone used one of these, how old the baby had to be to use it, and if you had any thoughts on it, if I'd have to buy another rack when I bought the carrier if I bought a different rack. Thanks.
Old 02-17-11, 05:24 AM
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
I've used ours quite a lot, including several years of using it to pick up my son from school for a 7.5 mile ride home as part of my commute.

Of course I have not used others, but the Topeak has been sturdy, convenient, and well designed through hundreds of miles of use on the busy roads of Milford and New Haven, CT.

Our little ones were a year old before going in the trailer. I think a year is the lower age limit on the Topeak as well. 40 Lbs is the upper weight limit, so somewhere around age 4 you'll need to find something else.

Last edited by Standalone; 02-17-11 at 05:30 AM. Reason: added upper weight
Old 02-17-11, 07:49 AM

ok, if I can't use it for a year, I might wait a bit then as I don't really have storage room in my tiny apartment. Just got a little excited and ahead of myself.
Old 02-20-11, 09:06 AM

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Giant Trance, Felt Breed, Marin SS MTB, Felt Pyre BMX bike, oldschool GT trials bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never used the topeak, have only used the Ibert safty seat so far. I like how it is front mounted to babyman can see everything going on. It is also in-expensive and a super quick install (think about 2 mins)

My almost 7 month old loves it although with him being as young as he is the longest ride I have done was just short of 2 miles around our neighborhood. From all the reading I did on how young is too young it seems the general consensus was if they can easily support their head with the helmet on (also find a helmet that fits is difficult, I used the lil bell shell and it just fits him with the thick pads). So far he has never fussed on the bike (yet) and whenever i go to lift the bar to get him out of the seat he always pushes it right back down which is kind of funny.

Hope this helps a little
Old 02-20-11, 09:58 AM

thanks for the response. I'd thought about the front carriers, but I'd heard they screw with the handling. Also they'd be a problem for me as I have stem shifters on my bike. Would be great for my ability to carry things though. If I go with the traditional carrier behind me, I'm going to have to get a front rack.
Old 02-20-11, 09:56 PM

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Giant Trance, Felt Breed, Marin SS MTB, Felt Pyre BMX bike, oldschool GT trials bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yea, stem mount shifters would be a major problem. You could probably still mount it fine but I am sure the little one would have a blast randomly shifting for you. I was surprised at how little it really changed the handling though.

I have never used the topeak rack but we (former shop rat) did sell a few and it seems like decent build quality.