Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

hit by deer...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

hit by deer...

Old 02-17-11, 02:33 PM
people's champ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
hit by deer...

thats right - yesterday morning i went on a 4am bike ride and got hit in the rear tire by a deer

i see them all the time as i ride primarily in the dark AM hours - never did i think one would plow into me though

3 ran across in front and then i just heard hooves and bam

i got lucky though - nothing but an untrue tire was the result and it appeared the deer was ok too
Old 02-17-11, 02:36 PM
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Too bad about the deer.
If its killed in the collision its yours to Eat! (don't try and confirm that with a game warden)

**edit**

just noticed you're in Jersey too. Have you noticed our Deer have been getting smarter around vehicles in the last few years? I have. Of course this incident sorta skews that a bit. Still, glad you got out with just a tweaked rear wheel....those bastards can be pretty mean when they're riled up.
Old 02-17-11, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Pheww! Close one! Glad to hear you're ok. Where I grew up deer were all over the place. Half the deer related accidents our family had were of deer running into the car. I recall once the family was in the car on a country road and stopped suddenly for a deer. It got spooked and jumped on the hood of the car. Deer hooves will eff up some paint!
Old 02-17-11, 02:38 PM
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 64 Posts
What's a deer with no eyes?

No Ideer.

What's a deer with no legs?

Still no Ideer.

What's a deer with no eyes, legs, or penis?

Still no f$#%ing Ideer.

Old 02-17-11, 02:42 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Oh, man, what a nightmare! Glad you're okay. I ride a lot in the pre-dawn hour, and hear deer as often as I see them. If a buck mistakes you for another buck, he may charge. This could turn out badly. They're incredibly stupid animals, basically the brain of a rabbit attached to the body of a small horse.
Old 02-17-11, 02:45 PM
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
^^ apt description ^^
Old 02-17-11, 02:47 PM

Agreed. Nice one, Rudi.
Old 02-17-11, 02:52 PM
No one cares

In addition to my last helpful post, I'll also add:

i ride through Valley Forge park (you know, winter of 1777-78?) daily on my commute (when I'm commuting daily) and there are thousands and thousands of deer there. I've had some close calls.

If you drive through the park almost any time of the day they're standing around, just like cattle in a field. Except with tiny brains. Maybe cows have tiny brains too.

Old 02-17-11, 03:01 PM

Cows are, thankfully, not as fast and generally not as excitable. I recall a guy back home hit an adult cow (> 1,000 pounds) at about 60mph on a motorcycle when I was kid. No helmet. My school bus passed by the scene shortly thereafter. Cow remains and motorcycle bits everywhere. There was Johny walking home without a scratch. Some people are like deer; too dumb to die.
Old 02-17-11, 03:07 PM

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
That beats the time I slowed for a half dozen croosing the street here in town, and one plowed into the side of my truck... He got up and walked away. SLOWLY....
Old 02-17-11, 03:10 PM
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
Cow remains and motorcycle bits everywhere.
He left all that tasty Burger on the side of the road?!? damn Johnny, at least eat what ya kill!
Old 02-17-11, 03:17 PM
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by -holiday76
What's a deer with no eyes?

No Ideer.

What's a deer with no legs?

Still no Ideer.

What's a deer with no eyes, legs, or penis?

Still no f$#%ing Ideer.
Spoken like a true Pennsyltukian.
Old 02-17-11, 03:19 PM
No one cares

Originally Posted by JunkYardBike
thanks!

Old 02-17-11, 03:25 PM
Dropped

Originally Posted by rhm
If a buck mistakes you for another buck, he may charge. This could turn out badly.
This is the common fear-baiting used by hunters. Headline in The Anytown Weekly: Raging buck makes chop suey of local neighborhood Shih Tzu!

This past fall I encountered two sizable bucks while I was riding the bike. One stared me down until I was maybe 50 feet away then walked away. The other, oblivious to my approach, allowed me within 20 feet then shot like a bolt into the wood when it finally heard me. Once there, it stopped, located me again with its eyes, and dashed deeper into the wood. This was during rutting season.
Old 02-17-11, 03:31 PM

I've seen this term before, but finally got around to looking up the origin. Apparently this lady had a hit with a song about a farm in Pennsyltucky. Further reading leads me to believe she and the guy in my avatar, as Farley would say, got it on.

Old 02-17-11, 03:44 PM
No one cares

most of the state, when you travel away from either Philly or Pittsburgh, well, I'll just say it's working class.. Every state actually has this, but PA is basically all like this unless the you're within say 50 miles of one of the two major cities.

California's dirty little secret is that a huge majority of the state is actually pretty redneck. Florida? Don't get me started. New Jersey is just a bunch of idiots driving in traffic circles, thinking they're really just a suburb of NYC because NJ has zero decent large cities.

Old 02-17-11, 03:47 PM
Dropped

Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
I've seen this term before, but finally got around to looking up the origin. Apparently this lady had a hit with a song about a farm in Pennsyltucky. Further reading leads me to believe she and the guy in my avatar, as Farley would say, got it on.

I don't buy it. Judging by the album cover, doesn't appear she's the type to roll around in the proverbial hay.
Old 02-17-11, 03:52 PM
Dropped

New Jersey is just a bunch of idiots driving in traffic circles, thinking they're really just a suburb of NYC because NJ has zero decent large cities.
Unfortunately, they've done away with many of the iconic traffic circles.

Much of NJ is rural or semi-rural, and arguably working class. I live in such an area. Regretfully, it too has been over-developed during the past two decades, as has much of the ex-burbs of many large population centers. At least the popped housing bubble has put a stop to this and will save some trees and open space. Long live the deer!
Old 02-17-11, 03:55 PM
No one cares

Unfortunately, they've done away with many of the iconic traffic circles.

Much of NJ is rural or semi-rural, and arguably working class. I live in such an area, though it has been over-developed during the past two decades like much of the ex-burbs of many large population centers. At least the popped housing bubble has put a stop to this and will save some trees and open space. Long live the deer!
all the traffic circles must be in south jersey then. I see them all the time.

Northern Jersey is beautiful and completely breaks the stereotype of that state. We have so many deer here too because of the development. This was all farmland not really that long ago at all and now it's almost all gone. My aunt and uncle sold the last dairy farm in Chester county in the late 80's!

Old 02-17-11, 04:14 PM
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Northern Jersey is beautiful and completely breaks the stereotype of that state. We have so many deer here too because of the development. This was all farmland not really that long ago at all and now it's almost all gone. My aunt and uncle sold the last dairy farm in Chester county in the late 80's!
Shhh...we're attempting to keep that a secret

The year I started High School (so the story goes) was the first year that People outnumbered Cows in Sussex County. I was never totally sure if that was a clever ruse or the full truth, because it seems pretty reasonable!
Old 02-17-11, 04:21 PM

Bikes: '83 Specialized Sequoia (crashed and retired), '85 Specialized Allez SE, '86 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2016 Ritchey Road Logic

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 5 Posts
I have no deer experience, but I saw this standup on deer!

hopefully it makes you guys laugh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPas5Xu0_8M&feature=fvst

louis is one of my favorite comics

profanity in the link..just in case you're one of those people who are offended by that sort of stuff

Last edited by hellojoben; 02-17-11 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-17-11, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3800 Post(s)
Liked 6,614 Times in 2,592 Posts
I went to summer camp (and later worked as a camp counselor) in Elmer, NJ, which is near Vineland. That area was a hotbed of Ku Klux Klan activity mid 20th century (and perhaps now).

Neal
Old 02-17-11, 04:24 PM
Dropped

Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
Shhh...we're attempting to keep that a secret

The year I started High School (so the story goes) was the first year that People outnumbered Cows in Sussex County. I was never totally sure if that was a clever ruse or the full truth, because it seems pretty reasonable!
Possible. My father bought some property in Hardyston in the 80's with the plan of building his retirement home there (with his own hands). It was overlooking a beautiful valley with several farms, including a cattle farm fashioned after a Scottish Highlands farm. Then they built the Crystal Springs Golf Resort in the 90's, absolutely ruining the view. Apparently, the area now has a water shortage. He sold several years ago to a golfer.
Old 02-17-11, 04:42 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Not all deer/critters are in New Jersey . . .
Years ago descending Mule Pass just outside of Bisbee, AZ on our tandem, we were coasting full tilt (50 mph) when wife/stoker asked me to tap the brakes and slow down a tad.
Did so; just then fawn darted out in front of us . . . very close call. If I had not listened to my stoker would've T-boned that deer at 50 mph.
Other critters out here:
This is open range country: cattle. And contrary to popular belief they can MOVE!
Had a bull jump a 3-strand fence in front of us on the tandem; looked a us wild-eyed, bounced off another a vine-covered fence seperating our road from the freeway . . . ran back in front of us and jumped the 3-strand fence going the otherway.
More wildlife: javelinas (wild pigs), coyotes, bobcats, etc.
However animals have never hit us but been hit several times by car/pickup . . . drivers with brains smaller than deer!
Old 02-17-11, 04:55 PM
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
We get urban deer in our yard all the time. I've tried to approach them, walking, sneaking, running; they always flee. The only way i've had one come to me is at night in a car at 60mph and now I've learned a bicycle works equally well. I concure, the charging buck thing is mostly urban myth, unless you've bathed in doe urin and atired yourself in brown velor....then you deserve it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.