Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Well, I finally did it (rode in the rain)!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-04, 09:02 AM

Bikes: 2003 Diamondback Apex; 1998 Gary Fisher Kaitai (commuter)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know alot of you already ride in the rain, no big deal but I just wanted to tell someone. Day #2 in the rain. I was not looking forward to it actually, but I just Gortexed up and made myself go. Quite a bit more production getting ready for the ride.

It was about 40-45 degrees I think. I wore my hiking boots (brought my clogs with me), fleece head band, gortex pants and shell and my new gortex mittens. I also wore a fleece vest underneath the shell and that turned out to very hot. I couldn't wait to peel it off when I got to work. I use REI bike panniers too. I left the slicks on too.

A few things I think I would like to get/modify:
1) fenders - even though I have a bike rack on the back and full on Gortex, water still splashes above my head when I go through pedals
2) some of that waterproofing washable stuff - you can wash your pants and shell and it brings the waterproofing it originally had back to life. I actually want to waterproof some BellWeather bike pants because my shell pants are too short for bike riding.
3) better lights.

All in all, it wasn't as bad as I thought. I was actually warm (too warm) and dry. My face and glasses did get kind of wet and the top of my head too from the helmet vents.

That's all, just wanted to share. I kind of feel good. And any advice you want to offer.

Here's a pic of the lovely day we're having:
Old 10-21-04, 10:25 AM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
This is timely.

For the fist time in over 1500mi of commuting I will need to ride home in the rain - at least that is what the very likely forcast is.

I guess it will be a learning experience. I brought a rain jacket, but if its warm won't wear it - I'm going home so getting soaked it fine. I don't have fenders. I did bring my contact lenses in case my glasses become too wet to see thru.

Al
Old 10-21-04, 10:33 AM
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noisebeam
I did bring my contact lenses in case my glasses become too wet to see thru.

Al
that's one of the biggest hazards for me. i don't have contacts so i have to have my glasses on when i ride. it can become very hard to see after some time in the rain...especially at night with a lot of lights. everything gets blurred.
Old 10-21-04, 10:37 AM
LeMond Lives!

Bikes: In 1963 my sister taught me to ride on her girl’s frame (no wonder I shave my legs) Schwinn it was blue and it weighted a billion pounds. – Gone, 2nd bike - a Schwinn Colligate (Gold) 5 speed – Traded in, 3rd bike – 1971 Schwinn Continental (Maro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might want to get a rain cover for you helmet. Keeps your head nice and dry and really adds to the warmth if you are out in really cold rain.

Cheers
Old 10-21-04, 10:38 AM

Bikes: 2003 Diamondback Apex; 1998 Gary Fisher Kaitai (commuter)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear glasses and I don't have contacts. I found that the visor on my helmet and helmet pulled down lower did a pretty good job of keeping most of the water off. I could still see fine, but it wasn't downpouring either.

Does the helmet rain cover look like a big ol' shower cap?
Old 10-21-04, 10:39 AM
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Be carefull cornering over painted pedestrian walks or any thick road paint marks in the rain.
Keep the bike upright, no fancy- lean the bike over turns.
The wheels can slip out sideways.

Perhaps I should just slow down....naw.
Old 10-21-04, 10:43 AM