Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Wife thinks we'll be fixing flats on our rides.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 02-22-11, 08:44 PM

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm telling her that whoever DOESN't get the flat drives back to the car and picks up the stranded rider.

Don't think it's realistic to carry a tire kit and pump for the type of riding we'll be doing.

I'm looking at 10-25 milers for the most part.

Who's being realistic?
Old 02-22-11, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why would you not fix the flat? It's about a five-minute job (I can do it in less than four with a frame-fit pump, but I've done it hundreds of times). Apparently you're casual riders, which is fine, but that probably means 10-12 mph. So you're 10 miles out, and somebody's going to ride for an hour to the car, load the bike and drive back while the other person does...what? Sits on the curb? Pushes the bike to Starbuck's? What happens if the rescue rider goes five miles and HE has a flat?
what's not "realistic" about carrying a pump and patch kit? Flats are a part of cycling. I've had six on my 25-mile commute to work and nine in a single century. One summer, here in the land of big thorns, I averaged a flat every 30 miles (I used to keep a very detailed riding log). Realistically, I don't go out of sight of my house without a pump, spare tube and patch kit.
Old 02-22-11, 08:57 PM

Bikes: Pinarello Paris/Ui2, BMC TeamMachine SLR01/Campy Record EPS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your strategy will work just fine... until the "rescue" rider gets a flat on the way to the car.

What's not "realistic" about saving yourself 10 - 25 mile walk with a bit of kit that'll cost you maybe $20, fit in a sock, and weight less than a pound?

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't risk a lifetime's worth of "I told you so" from SWMBO when such a minor investment would prevent it
Old 02-22-11, 09:02 PM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Fixing flats is not that big a deal. Why not take care of it on the spot?
Old 02-22-11, 09:17 PM

Bikes: way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
colonel, i think we're all with wifey on this one. a flat kit is like an umbrella -- it will not rain if you're smart enough to bring it. get the patch kit and feel smug about never having to use it. except you will use it eventually.
Old 02-22-11, 09:18 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by colpatrick
Who's being realistic?
Your Wife!!

Carry everything you need for emergency repairs, always.

If you're going to be riding our roads you can expect all kinds of mechanical difficulties. Crazy cars have been sliding into each other for the last three months leaving all sorts of debris out on the roadway to cut up your tires. The 'Pot Hole' crews have been out installing potholes all over the place hoping to break a few of your spokes.

The trails, oh my! They are littered with all kinds of wind blown goodies...everything from tree limbs to errant garbage which will do a real number on various parts of your drive trains when kicked up by your front wheel.

Be a good boy and listen to your bride.

P.S. When the weather improves, keep an eye out for a fat, grey bearded, crazy guy on a bike....and say Hi to me.
Old 02-22-11, 09:29 PM

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I disagree. You're right. Us guys are always right. But to be safe, I would go ahead and buy a couple pumps and patch kits, as well as a set of plastic levers. That way, you just shut her up. And if you do have a flat, you won't have to walk. You can even let her fix the flat! Tell her to be careful and not break a fingernail...

I'm not being sexist, am I?
Old 02-22-11, 09:30 PM
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The wife is right. Regardless you can be right................or you can be happy. Seems like you choose the former a lot.
Old 02-22-11, 09:31 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Last summer I got 3 flats one afternoon riding the 17 miles home from work. Sometimes when it rains, it pours.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 02-22-11, 09:36 PM

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm tired of thorns. I'm riding a mountain bike on Marathon Plus road tires with the Kevlar belt, plus I have the thorn-resistant Slime tubes, plus a pump and patch kit. Plus, I keep a spare tube in my rear rack bag. Yeah, that's a ton of extra weight. But like I said, I'm tired of thorns!
Old 02-22-11, 09:38 PM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The flat will need to be fixed at some point anyway. You'll have a more pleasant ride if you take the few minutes it takes to fix a flat, and just get it over with.
Old 02-22-11, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Well, I guess we're all going to pile on. Get a pump that fits on your frame, levers, spare tube and a patch kit. You can splurge and get a little bag for under the saddle or under the top tube, carry the stuff in a jersey pocket, stuff it into a water bottle or get a larger bag that will carry your picnic and spare clothes and stuff it in there. While you're at it, get a nice multi-tool with a chain tool on it. I did a fifteen mile walk of shame while my wife and her sister finished the fifty mile loop we were on once because I didn't bring a chain tool. If you get lucky, you'll never need to use this stuff. I'm not that lucky.
Old 02-22-11, 09:42 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Perhaps your position is reasonable, but if you *do* get a flat at your furthest point out, you will hear about it FOREVER. Besides, how hard is it to carry an extra tube, a CO2 cartridge and inflator head, and tire levers?

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 02-22-11, 09:43 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is how it works on real life. If you ride 25 miles you will get your first flat on a hot day 12.5 miles from the car. If you leave your wife to go get the car when you get back to the car you will discover you locked your keys inside. When you do get back and retrieve your wife you will have given her several years of I told you so to live through. It is better to just bring something to fix the flat.
Old 02-22-11, 09:50 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm telling her that whoever DOESN't get the flat drives back to the car and picks up the stranded rider.

Don't think it's realistic to carry a tire kit and pump for the type of riding we'll be doing.

I'm looking at 10-25 milers for the most part.

Who's being realistic?
Your wife is right.
Old 02-22-11, 09:54 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Flats are NOT a big deal, and you will be a hero in your wife's eyes if you can calmly and with knowledge fix it. Better practice a bit to be able to do that.
Old 02-22-11, 09:58 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
A few years ago on an out of state tour I had three flats in less than two miles. Fix them and go on.
Old 02-22-11, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
When you get the pump, get a Topeak Road Morph G. It has a foot peg and a hose, so it works like a floor pump and has a gauge. Carry a spare tube and a couple of tire levers. I've included a couple of GoJo towelettes in my kit. I got them at O'Reilly Auto Parts. Gets the grease off your hands easily. The first flat will naturally be a rear flat, and you'll get some grease on your hands.
Old 02-22-11, 10:13 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,072 Posts
You can be prepared for three flats and have four. You can be prepared for four and break a chain. You can carry chain repair and a crank arm will come loose. You can haul a portable bike shop and get hit by a truck. What do you consider "prepared enough"?

Carry flat repair because the odds of flatting are pretty high. But realize that, eventually, someone is going to have to walk home in the rain, alone.
Old 02-22-11, 11:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flats are easy to repair, but I hadn't the slightest idea how to do it until I went to a bike clinic at the lbs. If you aren't sure how to do it quickly, go to your lbs and have them show you the little tricks. Once I learned how, I just carry those two plastic thingies to get the tire off the rim (free from lbs), an extra tube (under $5), a couple of sticky patches (in case I get more than one flat) and CO2 cartriage with a tiny nozzle- no pump. CO2 is quick and easy. Why stop a nice ride for a little flat?
Old 02-22-11, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by outwest5
Flats are easy to repair, but I hadn't the slightest idea how to do it until I went to a bike clinic at the lbs. If you aren't sure how to do it quickly, go to your lbs and have them show you the little tricks. Once I learned how, I just carry those two plastic thingies to get the tire off the rim (free from lbs), an extra tube (under $5), a couple of sticky patches (in case I get more than one flat) and CO2 cartriage with a tiny nozzle- no pump. CO2 is quick and easy. Why stop a nice ride for a little flat?
Exactly. I look at a flat as kind of like breaking a bootlace on a hike. A minor nuisance, but a chance to rest for bit, take in the scenery, have a snack, etc.
Old 02-22-11, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Heck, my wife knows how to change tubes and fix a flat

However, I do have to ask, " why does she always get to take the picture"?

PS. Stick a pair of rubber gloves in your kit. Keeps hands clean.

Last edited by Doug64; 02-23-11 at 12:03 AM.
Old 02-23-11, 12:07 AM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have N+1 flats where N=the # of cartridges you have, you might want to have a pump with you. Just sayin'
Old 02-23-11, 12:19 AM
Riding

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who's being realistic?
There is ironic comedy in the answer to your question.
Old 02-23-11, 12:39 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
Heck, my wife knows how to change tubes and fix a flat

However, I do have to ask, " why does she always get to take the picture"?

PS. Stick a pair of rubber gloves in your kit. Keeps hands clean.
+1 on the gloves. Rims are messy, at least if you live anywhere with hills, stop signs, rain, or dirt. I hate riding home with dirty hands and flats only happen when you are about to run out of water.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.