Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bike Friday Saturday

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Bike Friday Saturday

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-11, 09:24 PM

Bikes: Centurion Pro Tour 15; Trek 1200; Trek 2000; Easy Racers Tour Easy; Nishiki Alien; Kestrel CSX: Motobecane Le Champion; ICE Adventure Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike Friday Saturday

Greetings - I'm a new member. Joined specifically to solicit feedback from members of this folding bike forum. I have been riding a recumbent for a number of years. I've frequently wished for a ride that was more transportable on public transportation as it would expand the touring possibilities. Unless our destination was within driving distance and we could drop the car off and return, I've had to disassemble the bike and ship via UPS. It doesn't take many trips a year like that to become expensive. Now my reason for the post. My local bike shop has just gotten in two used Bike Friday Saturdays (recumbent). I have resisted my urge to scoop these two gems up until doing a little more research. They would certainly expand touring possibilities with the use of public transport. Has any one out there had any experience with the Saturday? I would love to hear from anyone who has done any long distance touring with them?
Old 02-22-11, 09:47 PM
New usename ThorUSA

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dont have any experience but usually bike fridays are nice bikes, if you can get a good deal you will most likely be happy

welcome to the the fold
thor
Old 02-22-11, 10:12 PM

Location: Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They stopped making Saturdays several years ago - added too much complexity to the business. Seems they are desirable (have seen folks looking for them) but few go up for sale.

We are very pleased with our Fridays, although they are not Saturdays.

Lou
Old 02-22-11, 11:12 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Another still being sold, rather than trying to find a rare used Sat R Day Is:
HP Velotechnik Grasshopper .
https://www.hpvelotechnik.com/produkte/ghp/index_e.html
20 " wheels, German, so options of Rohloff Hub and Magura brakes
is on the menu.

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-23-11 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-22-11, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd post to the Bike Friday "Yak" mailing list. People there know far more about that bike than here. BentRider online might also be a good spot. Also be sure to check here.

Along with the Grasshopper, ICE also makes folding recumbents, and then there's also this amazing thing that's still vaporware from Optima.
Old 02-23-11, 04:05 AM

Bikes: Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mrs LWaB had a Satrday for several years. Steers nicely, folds adequately, comfortable but a steady ride, rather than lightning quick.
Old 02-23-11, 01:28 PM
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jeb814
My local bike shop has just gotten in two used Bike Friday Saturdays (recumbent). I have resisted my urge to scoop these two gems up until doing a little more research. They would certainly expand touring possibilities with the use of public transport. Has any one out there had any experience with the Saturday? I would love to hear from anyone who has done any long distance touring with them?
They are not easy to come by. Are these the first or second version of the Saturday?
Old 02-23-11, 08:25 PM

Bikes: Centurion Pro Tour 15; Trek 1200; Trek 2000; Easy Racers Tour Easy; Nishiki Alien; Kestrel CSX: Motobecane Le Champion; ICE Adventure Trike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by invisiblehand
They are not easy to come by. Are these the first or second version of the Saturday?
I think there is one of each. I test rode the older one but didn't get a chance to look at the second one closely. Can you tell me what the differences between the two might be?

Jerry