Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Trying to build rear wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-11, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trying to build rear wheel

Hey all,

So I wanted to build a rear wheel and was looking at Mavic hubs, profile track hubs, phil wood, etc. I would like to keep everything under $350.00. I was looking at the H Plus Son FORMATION FACE rim which is about $60.00 and the profile rear hub which is $195.00. plus spokes which I'm not sure which ones as of yet. I have a friend who can build the wheel for me and I'm looking at a 32 spoke or even 28. I will be using this for the street and track. I'll be hitting central park this spring doing some runs and riding pretty much everywhere else in NYC. Let me know your thoughts and even suggest something to me. All help will be greatly appreciated.

Dwayne
Old 02-23-11, 10:46 PM
GONE~

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why Profile hubs or H+Son, all of them are heavy expensive stuff.

There are better alternatives, like a set of Mavic (CXP33, Open Pro, CXP22) rims lace to a Miche, Formula, Dura Ace, Phil hub or whatever you want.
Old 02-24-11, 11:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I don't know to much about those hubs. Only because I've came from the BMX community. I used to ride BMX for 10 years and I used lots of profile parts including the hubs. But if you think Mavic or Miche is better quality and price, that's more of what I'm looking at. I'll do my research.
Old 02-25-11, 08:29 AM

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Dura Ace are bulletproof.
Old 02-25-11, 01:50 PM

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
you will be hard pressed to do much better than a simple set of forumula hubs. You can even put a set of phil woods bearing in there if it makes you feel better. If you want to spend more money and like to rebuild your hubs, the Dura Ace are great for those that have the time and money.
Old 02-25-11, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If they are going to be city wheels as well as track Id defiantly go with Formula hubs. Id also do a low profile moderately light rim, and 32 hole. For new york streets and kissena you definatly need to lean twords stiff and strong, maybe at the expense of weight a little.
Old 03-25-11, 05:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ur standard hub is a hub... if u want bomb proof get a spokeless formula or whatever brand hub. they're all made on cncs (ok not all)... they all weigh within 50g of eachother.. they're all kaiser 6061-t6 alum...bmx, wheelchair, mtn bike, cruiser.. blah blah.. same crap...the only diff is forged, cnc, or cast. stay away from cast. sealed bearings are nice, cones are just as good if maintained. solid axles > quick release. black oxide (usually hardened a bit) > zinc plated (soft, will bend under abuse). dont waste ur money on cermanic bearings. or ball bearings beyond grade 25 (grade 5 is pointless in a bicycle). sealed hub bearings usually have specific axles machined for them. which can be annoying.. when changing axles .