Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Diuretics and biking

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Diuretics and biking

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-11, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Diuretics and biking

Since I been biking, my blood pressure has become VERY much easier to control. A year and a half ago, I was taking massive doses of 3 different meds but even then the BP levels weren't what you would refer to as controlled. I'm now down to one med and that one a half of the previous dosage. I will always be on BP meds, it's genetic, I've been hypertensive since my early 30's and my whole family takes BP meds.

The one med that I still take contains 25 mg HCTZ, a diuretic. With hot weather coming on, I'm worried that it will predispose me to dehydration. Last year I tried switching the dose time to the evening but getting out of bed to pee several times just doesn't get it.

A few weeks ago, I did an experiment where I weighed myself prior to a 80 minute ride and immediately after, and also took into account the weight of water consumed during the ride. This in Florida and the temp was in the mid-70's. Between lost weight + weight of water consumed (24 oz or 1.51 pounds) water consumed the difference was 6.2 pounds for 1 hr 20 minutes. Give it another 3 months and that figure is going way up and I'm a little worried about the effect of starting in a semi-dehydrated condition.

Anyone have knowledge or thoughts on this. Most obviously, I will bring it up with my internist but surely someone here has been through it.

BTW: I'm now riding a LOT harder than last year.
Old 03-05-11, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dieuretics can make your saline levels drop substantially,and dangeriously, I only know this after having been prescribed some for an inner ear problem,and then spending a week in the hospital,and coming way to near to "bite'n' the big one"Be careful...
Bud
Old 03-05-11, 04:44 PM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I've ben on it for almost 30 years (genetics here as well) and I just take it post-ride.
Old 03-05-11, 04:57 PM

Bikes: Pinarello Paris/Ui2, BMC TeamMachine SLR01/Campy Record EPS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Discuss it with your doctor. Be sure he knows and understands what you're doing and your concerns. There are other approaches to essential hypertension that may have much less impact on your state of hydration. In any case, this is one you really want to talk over with a professional.

I had something similar when I was first diagnosed with hypertension a few years ago. Mine was cause by a basically crappy life-style. Anyway, I was put on a beta blocker, which worked fine until I made a real commitment to clean up my act. Which included getting back on the bike after a 20-something year hiatus. The problem was as I (dramatically) improved my cardio-vascular fitness, the beta blockers dropped my heart rate down into the 30's at one point. Not good. After a talk with my cardiologist, I got switched over to an ACE inhibitor. Problem solved. Fortunately for me, the combination of smoking cessation, far healthier diet, loosing 50 lbs. and a vigorous riding schedule got me to a point where I'm off all B/P meds altogether. I'm still walking around with a resting HR in the high 40's to low 50's, but my doctor's happy and so am I

-Bert

Last edited by bsektzer; 03-05-11 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-05-11, 06:02 PM

Bikes: Cervelo RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm taking HCTZ along with Lisinopril. The combination is doing a good job of controlling my BP to normal (120/80) levels, but when I go on a long ride my BP is pretty low when I return home. Last time I checked right after a 40 mile ride, it was 84/60. Doc says as long as I don't feel dizzy it's OK. I haven't noticed any negative side effects as far as riding in the heat. When it's really hot (this is Texas and it does get really hot) I will take two water bottles plus a 2 liter camelback if it's going to be 40 miles or longer.
Old 03-05-11, 09:59 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I take 25 mg every morning and have no problems with it. I do know where the portapottys are, however.

84/60
That's my wife's normal BP
Old 03-06-11, 07:14 PM

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I take 25 mg every morning and have no problems with it. I do know where the portapottys are, however.
I've never had problems either. I usually wait until later in the morning before I go out for ride.