Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Bib Brands that Do Not Fit Clydes?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-11, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am about 5-11 and 210. I am looking for some nice Bibs and I have read about some that do not fit Clydes my size and larger, but I am hoping to benefit from the experience of others about what brands are not likely to fit larger size riders. The ones I have seen mentioned that are not likely to fit are:

Assos
Castelli

I know about Aerotech Designs, Falconi, PI, and Performance, but I am looking for some nicer bibs that are likely to fit ....
Old 03-07-11, 04:09 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Most of the more 'boutique' brands like Assos and Castelli are sized for smaller riders; they have decided what their target market is, and aim for it.

There's not a thing wrong with more affordable bibs; I have bibs from Performance, and they are awesome! Don't be a lycra snob, it's not worth it.

(BTW, I'm 6'1", 240)
Old 03-07-11, 05:02 PM

Bikes: Soma Double Cross DC, Salsa Vaya, Redline D440, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6' 210lbs love my pearls. Wish I would have known about bibs before I waisted money on shorts. I have heard that the Ibex bibs are awsome but have not been able to try them yet.
Old 03-07-11, 05:08 PM

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If shopping on-line, keep in mind that a lot of companies sizes are European. A 5x European is going to be the equivalent of an American XL, or thereabouts, maybe a snug 2x.
Old 03-07-11, 08:43 PM

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 5'11 - 245lbs.

I wear- Pearl Izumi Large, Desoto 400 Miler XL, Assos F13 - XLG, Cannondale - XL.

I have about 25lbs in my gut, so if I could lose it - I'd be a healthy 220lbs. I have very wide shoulders 50", so Jersey's do not fit me at all, but the bibs work. One thing I would cautious you on, is the leg diameter of them do vary too. For example, I tried on the Assos TIR size and the bibs fit me OK, but the leg was too big - meaning to elastic around my thigh was loose. I'm a pretty big guy and stout physically but the Assos TIR size was too big for me. I think you could wear XLG and maybe even a XL. One other thing, the straps are not designed to feel comfortable while walking around. They are made to fit while you are riding in the hunched over riding position. The Assos are without a doubt the most comfortable riding bibs I've ridden in - but they come at a pretty hefty price.

Good Luck!
Old 03-08-11, 08:10 AM
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can tell you from experience that DeMarchi's(sp?) run WAY small, at least by US standards anyways.

They are really comfy though.
Old 03-08-11, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18416 Post(s)
Liked 15,556 Times in 7,331 Posts
Originally Posted by digger531
6' 210lbs love my pearls. Wish I would have known about bibs before I waisted money on shorts. I have heard that the Ibex bibs are awsome but have not been able to try them yet.
+1 I am 6'2" around 205 at the height of cycling season and my Pearls fit great.

Once you go bib, you never go back.
Old 03-08-11, 03:28 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Assos has a size called TIR that fits me just fine at 6'3 - 240... Italian clothing like SANTINI is cut very small but they do offer sizing up to 6xl.. Normally you have to buy 1-2 sizes up from you normally wear.. I have used 3XL bibs from Santini with no problems..
Old 03-09-11, 11:39 PM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Ugh, most of those European brands are built to clothe toothpicks. i'm 6'2, 235 and 5XL is a no go most of the time. Pearl Izumi XL is excellent.
Old 03-10-11, 11:56 AM

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 1 (2011), Santa Cruz Superlight (2000), Jamis Coda Comp (2009)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This may not help the OP much, but just to give others some additional reference - I'm 6'4", weight ranges from 220-240, waist ~38", chest 46", 34" inseam, and the following fit me very well:
- Pearl Izumi Attack Bib Shorts (w/Select fabric) - XL
- Descente Strata Endurance Bib Shorts - XL

I also recently bought a pair of Giordana Laser Bib Tights (w/pad) - XL, for cooler weather that fit me perfectly. A very nice feature of these Giordana's, that I found out after purchasing them, is the front pulls down really far (by design and unadvertised) allowing for much easier bio breaks without going through the hassle of taking your jersey off, etc. I understand their bib shorts also have this feature and I'm planning on getting a pair in the coming months. I'm very impressed with the quality too - Giordana's quality/price is sort of middle to middle-high - above Pearl Izumi, Garneau, etc., and below Assos, Voler, etc. I expect to get many seasons out of the Lasers.

Last edited by Kylerk; 03-10-11 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-12-11, 10:02 PM

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
Most of the more 'boutique' brands like Assos and Castelli are sized for smaller riders; they have decided what their target market is, and aim for it.

There's not a thing wrong with more affordable bibs; I have bibs from Performance, and they are awesome! Don't be a lycra snob, it's not worth it.

(BTW, I'm 6'1", 240)
I am 6'3" and 235 lbs with a 40" waist and I use the Assos in TIR size and Castelli in the XL size, and these fit just fine. I also use PI and Gore bibs and shorts in the XL size. My favorites are the Assos.