Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

I rode my bike and didn't break it! :)

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-11, 11:58 AM

Bikes: 04' Trek 7200 Multitrack; 2019 Trek FX 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone, I'm new here and didn't really want to post till I officially had a bike.

I bought a '04 Trek 7200 Multitrack off craigslist. I rode it today and it didn't break when I rode it! I was only able to ride for about 5 minutes and I was already winded but I had a huge grin on my face the whole time. Even before I had the bike I never got that winded when I went speed walking.

My weight loss journey started with me at around 450lbs on January 21, 2011. Being only 26 years old it was definitely shocking I let myself get that big. Today I was 425!

I was so nervous. I thought I would never realistically be able to ride a bicycle unless it was specially built. I was afraid the tires would literally burst under the pressure of my weight. But those 700x35c tires held up ok, they did flex a bit but the ride was fine. I'm only going to be riding on a bike paths with wooden bridges.

I am happy with the bike I got, it came with a speedometer/odometer, lights, helmet(that actually fit), and a seat bag. I'm definitely gonna get my $160 worth out of it.
Old 03-11-11, 12:06 PM
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You've found a new home here with us. Welcome!
Old 03-11-11, 12:16 PM
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't be discouraged when you start breaking spokes, just have a bike shop build better wheels and keep riding.

I came this close --><-- to quitting at first due to cheap wheels with too much weight.
Old 03-11-11, 12:29 PM

Bikes: '17 Trek FX2, '19 Trek FX 3 Disc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 87 Posts
Welcome!!
Old 03-11-11, 12:31 PM
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pluck each spoke. they should all have the same sound. Detail clean the bike. WD40 sprayed on a rag. You have a good sturdy bike but it will need you to keep an eye out for problems. We want you to suceed. So ask questions.
Old 03-11-11, 02:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jethro56
Pluck each spoke. they should all have the same sound. Detail clean the bike. WD40 sprayed on a rag. You have a good sturdy bike but it will need you to keep an eye out for problems. We want you to suceed. So ask questions.
Thanks for the advice on cleaning, it does need some.
Old 03-11-11, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice job - Keep 'em rolling
Old 03-11-11, 03:12 PM

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
As another poster would say, "Welcome to the herd".

If you are in Florida keep your chain clean, but don't use WD-40. It will help at first to eliminate squeaks, but it won't last long and will do more harm than good. Use a good bike lube like Finish line or something else.

Good luck and keep riding.
Old 03-11-11, 03:15 PM

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tarmac Comp Rival

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice score on the bike. Craigslist can be awesome sometimes. Enjoy the ride!
Old 03-11-11, 03:42 PM
Bulky Bullet

Bikes: Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool! Welcome - I look forward to reading about your progress.
Old 03-11-11, 03:42 PM

Bikes: Trek 820 Madone 6.2. Trek 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations on the weight loss. I remember a year ago when I started riding and being only able to a few minutes too. Each day add a few minutes to your ride.
Old 03-11-11, 03:53 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by steve85
I was only able to ride for about 5 minutes and I was already winded but I had a huge grin on my face the whole time. Even before I had the bike I never got that winded when I went speed walking.
A little note for you: 5 minutes into my ride, I'm winded too. I'vea obtu 35 centuries (100 miel rides) and every freaking one of them is the same, winded at 5 minutes.

I myself think a ride down to the corner convenienve store is way harder that the 30th mile of a 100 mile ride.

Simpl fact that 5 mintues in, your body hasn't warmed up and lungs haven't expanded to their full potential. It's not till after 10 miles or so that I even feel human on the bike.

My bet is that if you allow yourself a warm up period, don't push too hard to soon, you could easily do 10 miles. You might not want to stop there. I'm tli gyu, after th body warms up, it's a totally different story. I htknk most riders start to brath hard then sto thinking "that's it". It's not, allow yourself some time to warm up, you'll feel more comfy then you;lll enter THAT ZONE.

Don't be afraid to "let 'er roll" a little more. Good idea is to do a short loop around home just incase you do push alittl too much too soon. Heck, you can push your bike home if needed. But I'm thinking if you allow yourself a chance to warm up and get passed that winded stage withut doubt or panic, you'll do a gang of mileage and time on the bike.
Old 03-11-11, 11:41 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Welcome, Steve85.

At some point we need photos of the bike. Rules, you know. :-)

Also, look at the before and after photos in the, err, Before and After thread. Two of the well-wishers above, Jethro56 and Sayre Kulp, also started out at 400 +. When you get up the nerve, add yourself to the gallery of inspiration there.

Old 03-12-11, 01:12 AM

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
A little note for you: 5 minutes into my ride, I'm winded too. I'vea obtu 35 centuries (100 miel rides) and every freaking one of them is the same, winded at 5 minutes.

I myself think a ride down to the corner convenienve store is way harder that the 30th mile of a 100 mile ride.

Simpl fact that 5 mintues in, your body hasn't warmed up and lungs haven't expanded to their full potential. It's not till after 10 miles or so that I even feel human on the bike.

My bet is that if you allow yourself a warm up period, don't push too hard to soon, you could easily do 10 miles. You might not want to stop there. I'm tli gyu, after th body warms up, it's a totally different story. I htknk most riders start to brath hard then sto thinking "that's it". It's not, allow yourself some time to warm up, you'll feel more comfy then you;lll enter THAT ZONE.

Don't be afraid to "let 'er roll" a little more. Good idea is to do a short loop around home just incase you do push alittl too much too soon. Heck, you can push your bike home if needed. But I'm thinking if you allow yourself a chance to warm up and get passed that winded stage withut doubt or panic, you'll do a gang of mileage and time on the bike.

+1 to this
Old 03-12-11, 06:27 AM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
steve85, I have to throw my $.02 in. The first ten miles are my worst, I didn't really know that others also took that long to get warmed up, if that's the right term. I generally just pick a lower than normal gear that allows me to pedal easily to start things off.

Things will break on the bike, don't become discouraged. If the rear wheel breaks spokes more than twice following a repair, it's time for a stronger wheel..front wheels generally do fine. Bike shops are generally knowledgeable (and sensitive) to a Clyde's or an Athena's needs.

Be sure to wear a helmet, keep the tires up to pressure and ride.

Brad
Old 03-12-11, 01:44 PM

Bikes: Sun ez-3 usx hd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey congrats on the hard work. Keep it up. I've only been riding for a short while and I could only. Go about 2.5 miles at first and it keep increasing.....keep it up and have fun
Old 03-16-11, 08:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a pic of the bike I bought.

It is holding up very nicely and I am riding longer and longer each day. I did 8.5 miles yesterday which was double what I did the day before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike3.jpg (101.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 03-16-11, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Wow, keep up the good work. Don't overdo it right away and don't get too discouraged if one day you find yourself too sore because yesterday you did. If you need to take a day or two off it's not the end of the world as long as you do get back on.
Old 03-16-11, 09:05 AM

Bikes: gary fisher genesis 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats awesome man keep up the good work!!I am also new here and all the people commenting on here just make it so much easier to want to get out and ride great group of people here thanks everyone