Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Alloy wheels for an R20?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Alloy wheels for an R20?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-11, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alloy wheels for an R20?

I've got a Raleigh 20 I'd like to make lighter. I know using alloy wheels (20x1.75 406) will get me started but I'm not sure which ones to get. I was looking at Velocity Taipans since they're 400 grams.

Also could anyone point me in the right direction regarding replacing my handlebar stem and seat post?
Old 03-15-11, 03:43 PM
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rival85
I've got a Raleigh 20 I'd like to make lighter. I know using alloy wheels (20x1.75 406) will get me started but I'm not sure which ones to get. I was looking at Velocity Taipans since they're 400 grams.

Also could anyone point me in the right direction regarding replacing my handlebar stem and seat post?
The Tiapans look like a good way of going. Sun CR-18s and Rynolites are also good with the selling point of also being available in silver and Chrome.
Old 03-15-11, 05:05 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Weinman makes some too. I think that is what is on my bike at the moment. I do plan on getting some of the Rhyno lites is polished silver for the other one.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-17-11, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I have Rhyno lites on my 20. The front rim is polished to look like chrome and the rear rim IS chrome and much heavier than the front. I got the rims off a bmx bike at a police auction for $15. My bmx friends tell me the heavy chrome rear wheel is best for braking. I went with a Cane Creek Thudbuster ST seat post. Its about 4 inches longer than a stock seatpost, has some much needed boingy boingy and requires a shim.
Old 03-17-11, 10:09 AM

Bikes: Too many....................

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I purchased a used BMX and used the wheels from it, it had 451 rims which I prefer over the 406's. The front fork is 90mm and the BMX is 100mm I purchased a 6" long bolt and spread the front fork and it worked just fine.
Old 03-19-11, 02:12 PM

Bikes: Ridgeback Steel Tourer,Recumbent SWB,Steel Road,,Raleigh Twenty,Elephant Bike,Pashley Pronto TNT.

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Try on here https://raleightwenty.webs.com/ all different answers to your question.Some one used a whole kids bike for an upgrade,fork wheels gears brakes,for not a lot of money.
Old 03-19-11, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you happy with your Rhynos? I checked them out and they're just as light as the Velocity rims at about half the price. I don't need anything fancy, just some light rims that'll serve me well and won't kill my wallet.

Does chrome or silver finish affect stopping power?

Last edited by rival85; 03-19-11 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-19-11, 06:17 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by rival85
Are you happy with your Rhynos? I checked them out and they're just as light as the Velocity rims at about half the price. I don't need anything fancy, just some light rims that'll serve me well and won't kill my wallet.

Does chrome or silver finish affect stopping power?
No on the Rhynos that are polished the side walls where the brakes ride are a machined surface.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon