Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

)*%^$#@^%$ knee

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

)*%^$#@^%$ knee

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-11, 07:32 PM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
)*%^$#@^%$ knee

Went to the Ortho doc on Monday. She says "MMMMMM there's a lot of fluid in that knee" She asks a lot of questions and twists and bends the knee. Tells me it doesn't seem to be the meniscus. That sounds either good or bad to me. The last time I had this problem the tests didn't show any arthritis so I'm wondering what the heck is wrong. Gonna find out with an MRI. I'm hopin no surgery but if she reccomends it I think I'll do it now instead of waiting for the fall cause it ain't gettin any better. Crap just as the weather is gonna (hopefully get better) this thing rears its ugly head again.
Old 03-16-11, 08:06 PM
Musashi Rider

Bikes: Catbike 2010 / Bachetta - Café / Raleigh M80

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck either way.
Old 03-17-11, 05:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before I'd turn myself over to the medical types, I'd try to cure it myself. There are a lot of knee books out there and one can use the customer reviews on Amazon to select those that show promise.

I recently had a knee issue and cured 70 to 80% with saddle/cleat changes from articles on the web. The last bit was cured with information from a book: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0897934229

Al
Old 03-17-11, 06:27 AM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alcanoe
Before I'd turn myself over to the medical types, I'd try to cure it myself. There are a lot of knee books out there and one can use the customer reviews on Amazon to select those that show promise.

I recently had a knee issue and cured 70 to 80% with saddle/cleat changes from articles on the web. The last bit was cured with information from a book: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0897934229

Al
I have ridden maybe 4 times since October. This is an ongoing issue. I'd like to think that just as a man that represents himself in court has a fool for an attorney the same holds for the person that fancies himself a doctor. There will be not cutting unless necessary but if needed I'll get the surgery. Not gonna limp around all summer trying to heal myself. Ice Ibuprofen and elevation only goes so far.
Old 03-17-11, 08:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stringbreaker
I have ridden maybe 4 times since October. This is an ongoing issue. I'd like to think that just as a man that represents himself in court has a fool for an attorney the same holds for the person that fancies himself a doctor. There will be not cutting unless necessary but if needed I'll get the surgery. Not gonna limp around all summer trying to heal myself. Ice Ibuprofen and elevation only goes so far.
Fools you say. Possibly a little eduction might better identify the fool.

Al
Old 03-17-11, 11:03 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It is a good idea to get a few tests to at least identify the problem. What you do from there is a matter of what the options are.
Old 03-17-11, 01:49 PM
stringbreaker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alcanoe
Fools you say. Possibly a little eduction might better identify the fool.

Al
Don't think I haven't read and studied this thing over and over. I started with this in 2006 and although it calmed down and the swelling went away I dare say the swelling is a sign something is haywire in there. The test may or may not confirm any damage. Will weigh all options before surgery. Sorry about the fool comment. I'll never be a doctor or even play one on TV
Old 03-17-11, 03:25 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I've had a knee problem for 40 years now that at times has left me completely incapacitated. 20 years ago I took up cycling and although it took a couple of years to get right- Cycling kept me mobile. Till this winter and lack of cycling has made it flare up again. "WHEN" I get back to cycling- I will be able to restart the cure.

Get the problem identified first of all. Then you will know what the cure will be. Listen to the experts to get treatment under way- but remind them that you cycle. They may get you to modify the type of exercise for a while- Cut out the hilly centurys etc.- but they will probably confirm that cycling is one of the exercises you can do.

But I would also contact a Sports Therapist once the problem is known. They have experience in dealing with the ways to get you back doing sporting activity and will know how to work with the problem.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-18-11, 07:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Arthroscopic knee surgery isn't a big deal and often helps a lot. Full knee surgery is a big deal. Find out what the issue is. It could be as simple as sucking out fluid under the knee cap.
Old 03-18-11, 08:45 AM
stringbreaker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Gonna ride Monday and see what it feels like. Swelling isn't any worse and I'm able to walk without limping so what the heck I'm riding. Will keep icing and Ibuprofen over the weekend and see how that goes. Gettin old isn't for sissies.
Old 03-18-11, 09:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These "Golden" years aren't so shiney are they?
Old 03-18-11, 10:13 AM
stringbreaker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rltot
These "Golden" years aren't so shiney are they?
Old 03-18-11, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In the "wind gripe" thread I commented yesterday about my getting started cycling this year after taking the winter off. What I didn't post is that the reason I didn't even do spin classes until a month ago, and then very gingerly, was because of knee problems. Pain, cramping radiating up into the quads, swelling, etc. In general a mess. I sought medical opinions, and that is what they are, opinions. All were qualified, recommended orthopedic physicians and a couple very experienced ortho PAs. Plus, I'm not totally ignorant on the subject.

Upshot was that I got radically different opinions from different people. They ranged all the way from major surgery, to just cut and take a look to PT. I was miserable and could hardly walk. But when I got that number of opinions I knew the real fact was that whatever was wrong wasn't clear and the opinions were based on personal opinions and, maybe, income needs for that month.

I decided to suffer, take Naproxyn and do PT as recommended by my Physical Therapist and the Masters Level Personal Trainer at the gym. It took all winter. But, as you can read in my posts about my first three rides this year eminently successful. Will I need surgery in the future? Who knows? I lead a high energy lifestyle and so regularly suffer trauma. Aging is more like going down stairsteps than a linear thing so I could fall down another step that affects my knee. But, for now I'm OK and cutting with all its' attendant risks has been postponed, maybe until it doesn't matter any longer.

My story for whatever help it may be in your personal decision making.
Old 03-18-11, 12:40 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I can emphatize but at least I know the cause of mine and am having it treated. The improvement to mine seems to have plateaued once again but at least I can ride with no pain so what the heck.......
Old 03-18-11, 06:39 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You need to find the root cause of your problem and even that may be hard to identify.
I also have knee problems cycling, and it usually relates to pushing too hard before I have built up the leg muscles. But now I have a different issue. On a ride last year a person who was riding behind me asked if I had a problem with my right knee, I said that it seem OK most of the time. What they noticed was that the knee twisted during the pedal stroke. I did not take it seriously. The when doing spin classes this winter I saw it in the mirror, it was real and obvious. I am curious to see what this season will bring, I am have to give up the big climbs.