Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Good riding buddies

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Good riding buddies

Old 03-23-11, 04:31 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Good riding buddies

My of my favorite Bud's and I joined up for an impromptu ride yesterday. This was the fella that was hit by a car a couple years ago and was in the hospital for 2 months. He then lost his wife a year later to a chronic illness. He is still hobbling noticeably but he is putting in more and more miles on the bike. He REALLY enjoys the freedom and mental distraction that cycling offers. He has worked harder than anyone I know to even get back on the bike to just ride for the pleasure of riding. He has completely changed his cycling focus on performance to pleasure riding--but recognizes the true benefits of being as fit as he can be. He can keep up with most groups on the flats with his 1 1/2 legs but drops off on the hills. However, he has changed his gearing to a 11-36 so that helps him better manage the hills by spinning an easier gear around where we live.

So, it was great pleasure to once again share the road, trade pulls and to push each other to our limits as we've done repeatedly. We didn't have a specific route planned but were enjoying it so much we wound up with 62 miles. He was totally spent but it was one of those good tired feelings due to a pretty strenuous workout.

Just 3 weeks ago I was getting dropped by him and others in our regular riding group. After riding a number of miles over the past several weeks and even spending some time in the mountains I'm gradually seeing the former conditioning return. I can now run my HR up to whatever level I'd like but right now I just cannot sustain for as long a period as I'd like to. But it's terrific continuing to see progress---especialy for both of us.

I'm now more confident that I can physically handle the back to back weeks of touring Colorado so I'll probably wind up doing both Ride the Rockies and Bicycle Tour of Colorado.

Now if I can just get rid of those 5-6 extra pounds overnight........
Old 03-23-11, 06:01 PM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Always knew you'd be back. Also glad to know Bill is doing so well. Hope I can coax you to do a couple of training rides up in the mountains soon.
Old 03-23-11, 06:25 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations to both of you I love reading posts like this one.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 03-23-11, 08:40 PM

Bikes: Serotta Fierte IT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing like riding with old buddies. I have a riding buddy that finally is recovered from some injuries and he has quickly surpasses most all of us in his ability to log the miles. Great to see the smile on his face (and ours).

Mark