Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Hello from a new member!

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Hello from a new member!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-11, 09:06 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello from a new member!

Hi Guys/Gals,

I joined the forum today. I had been thinking about buying a bike for sometime now and finally I bumped into a good deal (REI, Cannondale Quick 6 for $299) and bought one.

I'll have it within a week and start riding finally.

I live in Edgewater, NJ which is only 1 mile to the GWB.

Well, I'm not fit at all, 6'2" and 250lbs. I used to ride a Trek 7000 occasionally when I was around 220lbs, so I'm very little bit familiar with the bikes.

Well, my plan is obviously get active, lose weight and hopefully make this a hobby.

I work in the city (SoHo) and it's a 14 mile distance from my home. One day, I want to be able to commute via bike.

It's a 1 mile climb to GWB from my home, cross the bridge, ride down to Houston St. in NYC. And going back.

I'll start slow, probably 2-3 mile rides and increase gradually until I can go for 15-20 miles.

Just wanted to say hi and I would love to hear any suggestions / opinions. I am also curious how steep is going up to GWB from downtown. I know GWB from my house is only 1 mile but it's steep, how is it on Manhattan side?

Thanks!
Old 03-23-11, 09:18 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Nice bike.

Get the spoke tension checked after the first 100 miles.

Post some pics of the area sometime.

You may be interested in the Clydesdale forum.

Thanks for joining.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 03-23-11 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-24-11, 07:24 AM

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edgewater16
I am also curious how steep is going up to GWB from downtown. I know GWB from my house is only 1 mile but it's steep, how is it on Manhattan side?
I think it's gradual if you go up St. Nicholas Ave through Harlem. Personally, I'd avoid all the cars & take the Hudson River Greenway the whole way up & exit the park just north of the bridge near 181st St. However, it's a really steep narrow walkway there and my knees were giving out so I ended up walking my bike up that short, steep, hill.
Old 03-24-11, 07:27 AM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Hiya Edgewater,
I live in Rhode Island now but I'm familiar with your area. I'm new to this cycling biz also. I began last year about this same time riding a bit on the local bike path. Lo and behold, by summers end, entirely unintentionally, I'd ridden 2800 miles. It seems just putzing around on the bike path was just the right effort to build what serious cyclists call base miles. For us noobies, in this period you'll dial in the fit until the bike begins to feel comfortable. For me and many others this involved trying a number of different saddles until finally finding one that worked for 4-5 hours of riding as well as adjusting saddle and handlebar position. My bike is now very comfortable but the process is not entirely complete. Also, this involves slowly getting stronger in the legs but the rest of body also adapts.

I would say, find some areas you enjoy riding and your fitness and mileage will go up in due time. Hills are a killer for me. They hurt a lot but I'm getting better and you will too. A local bike shop may be able to help finding rides in your area you will enjoy. There is some very pretty country in western N.J. A local cycling club can help finding good riding areas. There will be good info for you in the beginners forum.
Old 03-24-11, 08:21 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you very much for your answers!

I think I have some time to get in shape and get used to the bike & be fit to ride 20-30 miles. In the meantime, I will ride around my town. It's mostly hills where I live, so that should give me an idea.

I'm excited already. I have a car with a roof rack. I bought a used bike carrier on ebay so that I can go somewhere else to ride. Can't wait.

Weather in NYC area is crazy. It snowed today. Hope it gets better next week.

Everyone is talking about saddles on the forum. I'm 250lbs and I don't really want to have a sore back. Should I buy one asap or try the bike with the stock saddle on it?
Old 03-24-11, 10:40 AM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I have a bad back but the big surprise is that the somewhat stretched out position with drop bars feels good. I use 28mm tires with as little pressure as possible for my weight and so far all is well with my back. Saddle comfort is a big mystery. One would think that a soft, plush surface would be the most comfortable. My experience is in line with the advice I've seen here. Plush is good for 10 miles only. After that, minimal padding on whatever configuration fits your anatomy and no one can predict which saddle that will be. It may be the present saddle will be fine.

Weather here is pretty nuts also. Sunday past I went on a nice ride with the Narragansett Bay Wheelmen. They had rides of 14, 18, 31 and 43 miles and there were 50 to 70 people. Last night and this AM there was an inch of snow that is now gone and I'll soon go ride for a few hours. Living around here is not boring.
Old 03-24-11, 01:41 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
west side greenway is absolutely your best option. during warm weather months it will be somewhat busy until you get up to around 96th street but it wont be bad. I live on the UES and i ride up over the GWB and up 9W all the time. Manhattan is basically flat, if you take the greenway all the way up to the gwb, there is are 2 really short but really steep hills right at the bridge. otherwise, it's a flat ride the entire way up. it's a little confusing figuring out how to get to the bridge from down on that part but not horribly hard. you can always take the westside greenway to 125 and then take the streets to the bridge but by staying on the greenway the whole way you pretty much only have to ride on streets and deal with traffic for 1/4 of a mile when you get off the path.

When you decide you want to ride some hills, go seek out palisades park and ride up through the park up to the alpine police station on 9w. that is all the hills a clyde can handle!
Old 04-11-11, 02:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edgewater16
Thank you very much for your answers!

Everyone is talking about saddles on the forum. I'm 250lbs and I don't really want to have a sore back. Should I buy one asap or try the bike with the stock saddle on it?
I use to be 235lb, so i know where you coming from. Use stock saddle for few month of regular riding (at least 3 times a week) to understand it. You may like it. Buy bike shorts with padding - it will help if you going for more that 3 miles .
As other people already said - Manhattan is mostly flat, use Hudson greenway from 184 (?)street or from 158 street.