Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Good roads for centuries SW of Cleveland?

Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Old 03-29-11, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Title says it all. I'm looking for that perfect stretch of road to ride a rut in this year. Any distance riders familiar with some well paved, big shouldered non-highway roads around the Olmsted Falls area? I'm willing to drive a bit to get there, the roads around me rattle my teeth out of my head or I'd just bike there. Thanks
Old 03-29-11, 10:37 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
This is NE Ohio...what are these well-paved and big-shouldered non-highway roads of which you speak? Of the few that exist, trying to do a century on them would get real boring real quick.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 03-29-11, 01:42 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just ride the secondary roads from Olmsted Falls out towards Valley City, Lagrange Litchfield, and Lodi. Plenty of open, empty and decent roads there. Station Road or Island Road are good choices to go South. West River Road is nice once you cross RT 83.

Look up the Lake Erie Wheeler's web site and find the link for Eric Overton's long distance training rides. Every Saturday they ride from Berea for 100+ miles.
Old 03-29-11, 01:56 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Just ride the secondary roads from Olmsted Falls out towards Valley City, Lagrange Litchfield, and Lodi. Plenty of open, empty and decent roads there. Station Road or Island Road are good choices to go South. West River Road is nice once you cross RT 83.

Look up the Lake Erie Wheeler's web site and find the link for Eric Overton's long distance training rides. Every Saturday they ride from Berea for 100+ miles.
as long as he doesn't mind not having those big shoulders...and this time of year you gotta watch for rough spots on just about every road in the area.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 03-29-11, 02:53 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2/3rds of my rides are out where I identified and there are not many rough spots or potholes. Matter of fact I'll be riding 1.5 hours of Z3 with a 10 second all out sprint every 3 minutes this evening and into the darkness.
Old 03-29-11, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
This is NE Ohio...what are these well-paved and big-shouldered non-highway roads of which you speak?
Some of the roads around here look like they were scudded back in the Gulf war and forgotten about! If I ride east on Sprague it gets pretty bad after Brown's hardware. Sprague west of 252 is pretty nice, though. Nice big shoulder and well paved, rare for these parts! I'll probably just hang a right on Sprague, ride towards Root road and explore from there. I plan on riding to Mohican in July. I'll just peck away at finding the best route there. If I ride N to Berea, 252 is nice, too. I see cyclists riding it all the time.

I'll definitely check out the Lake Erie Wheeler's site, thanks.
Old 03-31-11, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.backroadsandbeachesohio.com/ this is interesting
Old 04-20-11, 05:25 AM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in LaGrange and some of the roads around are pretty good but you have to be awake for rough patches. Once the weather breaks and I'm out and about I'll report some of the better roads.
Old 05-31-11, 09:43 PM

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a good link with some area maps that might help..

https://www.noaca.org/bikemaps.html