Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bike stopped peddaling.

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Bike stopped peddaling.

Old 03-30-11, 03:01 PM

Bikes: 1987 bianchi campione d'italia, 1970's eatons glider, 1990's hybrid, 1992 trek antelope

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike stopped peddaling.

I have this Tomos mini folder that I'm trying to sell and it stopped pedaling for me after a mile. Glad I took her for a ride first. It was creaking on and off real bad and felt like it came from the bottom bracket. After walking the bike home, I put it upside down and the rear wheel spins both ways. Is the bottom bracket the culprit?
The rear hub has an inverted square on it that has 19 on one side and 70 on the other. Underneath that it has XII. I cannot make out what is inside the square. There is an oiling plug on it as well. As well there is a little hole in the axle on the drive side, and an indent on the other side of the axle. Is this a three speed hub?

Old 03-30-11, 03:27 PM

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think some one might have got that bike for christmas in 1970. As I think thats what the numbers mean.

I think thats a single speed coaster back peddling brake hub. Its needing took apart and cleaned up. I suggest try looking at you tube videos for coaster hubs. see if thats any help.
Old 03-30-11, 03:32 PM
Collector of Useless Info

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It looks like a single-speed coaster-brake rear hub. It's likely that something just came apart in the hub. If you have a lot of courage, you can disassemble it and see what's wrong- it may be just a stuck pawl or something.
Old 03-30-11, 03:58 PM

Bikes: 1987 bianchi campione d'italia, 1970's eatons glider, 1990's hybrid, 1992 trek antelope

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Yes it is a coaster brake bike with a front brake caliper too. I have added oil to the hub before riding it. I may have a look at the bottom bracket before taking a stab at the dark side of this hub, (I've never been there). Will consult Sheldon and company. Thanks again.
Old 03-30-11, 04:04 PM

Bikes: Trek 1220 - Araya R200 - Specialized StumpJumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Remove the chain and or rear wheel. If the pedals spin freely than you can rule out Bottom Bracket. If the pedals don't move or are very hard, creaky, or not smooth, than there is likely a BB problem.

Just need to isolate them from the system to check.
Old 03-30-11, 05:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for that suggestion. Sounds like an excellent way to isolate the problem.