Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Using folding bike - What helmet should I buy?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Using folding bike - What helmet should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-11, 11:11 AM

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I'm guessing... (and this is just a guess!)

Helmets give the wearer a sense of security (whether that sense is false or not I'll leave to others) and for some it may have the effect of causing the rider to be *less* aware of his/her surroundings. This may result in more accidents with helmet wearers, I suppose.

I'm not sure I agree with that, even though I don't wear helmets for cycling. Just trying to figure out why a set of stats might generate such a result.
Old 04-15-11, 11:49 AM
New usename ThorUSA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
people who willingly take higher risks..... like downhillers... or people who are young and feel that they are never can get hurt...
usually wear more helmets than us old folks who are hurting when they get up in the morning ...

usually the first group has lots of more accidents.... therefore despite helmet use more damage

statistiks are almost always lying ....

Again everybodies own choice .... my wife and kid has to wear a helmet as I dont want to see them hurt.

thor
Old 04-15-11, 12:00 PM

Bikes: A-bike, Strida & ,etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There're some explanations here.
https://cyclehelmets.org/1039.html
https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...et/5334208.stm
https://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/6...lmets-cyclists
https://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/19/health/19bike.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdoE2YCvwdM
Old 04-15-11, 12:25 PM

Bikes: Brodie Force w/ Xtracycle, Dahon Helios, Merida Folding, Pacific Carryme, Softride Classic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Risk homeostasis. People have inherent risk thresholds they adhere to regardless whether they wear a helmet or not.

Permit me to make a gross simplification of riders into two camps: daredevils (DD) and non-daredevils (ND). I am an ND rider. I coast downhill (on my singlespeed, on my fixed gear, have to pedal) with my fingers riding my brakes to modulate speed. I ride defensively aware that many other motorists don't "see" cyclists or fail to judge a cyclist's speed accurately. I ride a helmet since it is the law where I live, but even if I was not wearing a helmet, it would not change my riding behaviour.

The DDs on the other hand, will be DDs whether or not they wear a helmet. Their risk tolerance is different from mine. They enjoy bombing down hills and weaving at speed between traffic. Similar to riders who do downhill thrill rides, singletracking on sheer cliffs, stunt riding in urban parks and so forth.
Old 04-15-11, 09:27 PM

Bikes: Dahon Speed P8

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use the Pango folding helmet. Since its perpetually hot and humid here in Malaysia, I removed its perforated shield.

The construction quality is good. But when it comes to fitting, it can get loose and lop-sided with prolonged wear. You will need to adjust the straps properly and since it doesn't have an adjustable catch on the back of your head, this helmet tends to shift position when you wear it.

What I like its the compact size of the Pango. Its also pretty expensive and I was very lucky to get the Black coloured version that came free when I purchased my Dahon Speed TR for my wife in January..

Sam
Old 04-15-11, 11:08 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tpelle
I have to say that I enjoyed Mr. Colville-Andersen's talk - that's for posting that! I'd like to see the source of his statistics that purport to show that you are MORE likely to sustain injury wearing a helmet than by not.

I thought about this, and from my experience bicycling, I've "crashed" on a bike several times since I started riding again at age 54, and have no way of even guessing how many times as an adolescent rider when my bike was my sole transportation - even including being run down by a big old heavy American 1950's sedan! Two years ago I actually broke my kneecap falling off of my mountain bike. But in all of those crashes I never once hit my head.

But as an ex-EMT I know how devastating head injuries can be. My experience also infers to me that the crashes (of cars, bicycles, motorcycles, horses, and tractors) that produced the head injuries were severe and violent enough that serious injury likely would have occurred regardless if a helmet was worn or not.

But in the end, I just can't see how a helmet could be MORE LIKELY to cause injury than not wearing one would be. That would infer that the helmet itself causes the injury.

Can anyone explain this?
ans: many people are illogical and are devout on their own beliefs and superstitions.

although, actually, at one point there was some talk about the jagged type helmets catching/snagging objects and giving neck and spine injuries. Which seems quite justified.

that and a lot of people wear helmets improperly. And people who see this think "oh, look, the helmet didn't do anything"
Old 04-16-11, 02:46 PM

Bikes: Dahon Speed TR and Dahon Speed Pro TT

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by samosaurus

I use the Pango folding helmet. Since its perpetually hot and humid here in Malaysia, I removed its perforated shield.

The construction quality is good. But when it comes to fitting, it can get loose and lop-sided with prolonged wear. You will need to adjust the straps properly and since it doesn't have an adjustable catch on the back of your head, this helmet tends to shift position when you wear it.

What I like its the compact size of the Pango. Its also pretty expensive and I was very lucky to get the Black coloured version that came free when I purchased my Dahon Speed TR for my wife in January..

Sam
nice. how come out there you can get those things for free ? we don't have anything like that here. all we can get is a free Dahon sticker. you're looking like a mean biker. is there a promo when you buy a pango helmet you get a Speed TR for free....
Old 04-16-11, 04:36 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
If the Cycling Infrastructure is up to the level of Copenhagen,
then running into cars is less likely.

but there is no cure for stupid.
Old 04-18-11, 07:08 AM
PDR

Bikes: Brompton S2L-X, Bridgestone Moulton, 1963 & 1966 Moultons, Scott Mountain bike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How about this strange contraption?

https://www.muddymoles.org.uk/mutteri...ocolate-teapot