Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Hopefully the right place to ask...

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-04, 07:50 AM
無くなった

Bikes: I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm wondering the calorie/engery content in liquor. Most specifically, Jameson Irish Whiskey (who'd have known) and PBR. What does it take to burn this off? I have the feeling that I am burning most of it, because I'm not really getting the traditional beer gut or anything, but I'd like to know more about it. It would be pretty cool if someone knew how to convert 80 proof into octane, calories and watts. I weigh 135-140 lbs and ride a track bike brakeless daily, if that makes a difference. I believe average speed is somewhere between 17-20 mph, probably 70-90 miles a week, in a 46x14 or 46x16 gearing on 700x22c wheels.

What sorts of equations do I need to figure this stuff out? And please, no flaming me for being an idiot drunken brakeless rider. I'm actually pretty safe, and have a lot of experience with it. I've been taking my vitamins and stuff, and trying to eat better, and the drinking is probably only going to last through the next year, so I don't need people telling me that burning alcohol calories on my bike is the wrong idea...

Thanks for any pointers.
Old 10-29-04, 08:26 AM
Designated Drinker

Bikes: '04 Kona Fire Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HereNT,
Here's a link to some info on Jameson. Says 69cal/oz.
Old 10-29-04, 08:39 AM
無くなった

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now how do I figure that out in miles/time? What does kj stand for?
Old 10-29-04, 09:24 AM
H23

Bikes: bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surprisingly, the FDA does not require nutritional info on alcohol beverages. I think this is idiotic, but hey its under the "liquor tobacco and firearms", right?"

One drink a day is not bad at all. Its not as bad as soda, but empty calories none-the-less.

PBR? is that pabst blue ribbon ???

A pint of guiness, according to billboards on the highway, is 150 Calories.

KJ stands for kilojoules-- a measure of energy.
Old 10-29-04, 09:31 AM
Designated Drinker

Bikes: '04 Kona Fire Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a list of activities and the number of calories burned per hour doing them. Biking at a moderate speed and being 190lbs will burn 690 calories in an hour. Theoretically you'd burn off 1oz of Jameson in 6 minutes.

disclaimer: it should be obvious, but these numbers are not exact. everybody's body is different, use the chart as a guideline. there are other effects of alcohol like a slowed metabolism that these numbers do not account for.
Old 10-29-04, 09:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always found the beer nuts, wings, crackers slobbed in dip, cashews, cheese squares, sliced salami ...................... that the beer is washing down to the the real calorie hogs
Old 10-29-04, 10:04 AM

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Instinct, Cannondale Six13, Cervelo One

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It really depends on how much you drink. Liquor compared to beer is nothing calorie wise. However, liquor does work your filteration system (kidneys) much more than beer. So empty calories is not the only thing you should be worried about

Good luck

ming
Old 10-29-04, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by sparks_219
It really depends on how much you drink. Liquor compared to beer is nothing calorie wise. However, liquor does work your filteration system (kidneys) much more than beer. So empty calories is not the only thing you should be worried about

Good luck

ming
SWEET! I was wondering how to work out my kidneys! j/k...BTW, I think its the liver that gets the damage from alcohol.
Old 10-29-04, 01:45 PM
. . . rosebud . . .

Bikes: Diamondback Outlook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sparks_219
It really depends on how much you drink. Liquor compared to beer is nothing calorie wise.
Au contraire, mon frere! I think that alcohol is dense in calories, so the higher alcohol in whiskey makes it pint for pint more than beer, I believe.

However, I've heard rumors (?) here and there that since your liver takes some part in digesting alcohol, not all of those calories will be converted to energy and/or fat. I don't know. But in any case, one once of whiskey isn't all that much. If I drink it, I probably have 4 to 5 ounces per glass.
Old 10-29-04, 05:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phatman
SWEET! I was wondering how to work out my kidneys! j/k...BTW, I think its the liver that gets the damage from alcohol.
LOL...i guess I had a moment of brain freeze. Being an engineering student does not gurantee the best knowledge about biology and related fields. Although my dad used to be a doctor, so I really should know the basics hehehe

Cheers

Ming
Old 10-29-04, 05:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Diggy18
Au contraire, mon frere! I think that alcohol is dense in calories, so the higher alcohol in whiskey makes it pint for pint more than beer, I believe.
Yes, alcohol is dense in calories. However, I recently had a good talk with a researcher in sports activities and the effects on the human digestion systems. He essentially told me drinking hard liquor does not intake too many calories compared to beer, but it is harder on the body. I maybe wrong since I am just typing from the recollection of my memory. Nonetheless, most people dont drink as much hard liquor as they would if they were drinking beer.

In addition, I believe calories in hard liquor comes mostly from sugar, where as calories in beer comes mostly from carbohydrates. The two elements have vastly different effect on the human body, but both will be stored as fat in the end if not consumed.

However, I've heard rumors (?) here and there that since your liver takes some part in digesting alcohol, not all of those calories will be converted to energy and/or fat. I don't know. But in any case, one once of whiskey isn't all that much. If I drink it, I probably have 4 to 5 ounces per glass.
The real question is, how many glasses do you drink??

I am not sure how alcohol is broken down, but as aforementioned, most people don's consume as much liquor, thus the overall energy intake is less.
Old 10-30-04, 05:38 AM
無くなった

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool - thanks for the answers... I guess maybe it's something I really shouldn't worry about. I was more curious than anything. You do end up getting a lot of calories - I know that, because when my dad quit drinking, they actually had him buying ice cream to replace the sugar calories.... His body was too used to them, and he needed something, or he wouldn't have been able to function...
Old 10-30-04, 09:13 AM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

However, I've heard rumors (?) here and there that since your liver takes some part in digesting alcohol, not all of those calories will be converted to energy and/or fat.
You are correct! I read this article not long ago .... here are all the answers!

Alcohol and the Athlete