Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Questions about 1979 Schwinn Collegiate 3 speed

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently bought a blue one from a friend and it needs some work, specifically new tires, brake pads (possibly brakes as well), and chain.

I've read that it needs 26 x 1 3/8 tires with a 590 BSD (if non-Schwinn tires, 597 if Schwinn) but the tires that are on it now say 27 x 1 1/4. Do they have the wrong size tires on them already?

Also, I'm a noobie at this bike stuff. Are brake pad sizes pretty standard throughout? I've googled and can't find what kind of brakes and size brake pads it takes.

Thanks so much! Oh, and can anyone recommend where to buy a chain guard? I only found one blue one available online and it was $40. Is that pretty standard for this vintage bike?
Old 04-13-11, 12:32 AM
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
You need to look at what the stamping on your rims say. It should be somewhere near the valve stem.

As far as brake pads, most are pretty standard but there are different types for different caliper styles. I'd recommend Kool Stop Continentals, they are awesome.

"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 04-13-11, 03:12 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
I might be able to help you out with a chaingaurd. I have an old Schwinn Breeze that is to be parted out. My guess is the chaingaurd will work. Do you plan to paint it to match your collegiate?

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 04-13-11, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some Schwinn rims were the odd 26" size . Since you state that it has 27 " tires on it , now, that is what you need. Just put the same size tire back on it . I pump those tires up to #70, no more , making sure the tire is seated evenly all the way around by pumping a little at a time , by HAND PUMP. I would suggest new tubes & possible new rim strips as well.
I second the Kool Stop Salmon brake pads,,, keep the sides of the rims cleaned with alcohol ,, & the above posters chainguard should fit.
Old 04-13-11, 04:01 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Got pictures? I have never seen a Collegiate 3 speed with 27" wheels. But that doesn't mean they didn't make one.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 04-15-11, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some of the things you mention don't jive with a Collegiate.

27" tires would be wrong with a Collegiate three speed. First, I never heard of a Schwinn three-speed hub laced to a 27" rim. That is very odd. Normally, it would be on a 26" X 1 3/8" rim.

a 27" tire won't fit on a 26" rim, so... I can only guess that someone changed out the wheel which would have been enormous work - especially on the rear wheel. Are you sure that the 27" wheel isn't just on the front? IF yes, I am going to guess that they just disconnected the front brake somehow and didn't bother with the complexity of changing the brakes.
Old 04-18-11, 07:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much for all your help. I'll upload a picture of it today and absorb all your advice!
Old 04-18-11, 07:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really wouldn't know where to buy the paint that's supposed to be used on it. I might consider if so!