Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Scratched Seatposts Inevitable or Avoidable?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 04-14-11, 04:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 25 Posts

I assume many folder owners use their bikes as tools for commuting. For those very protective of keeping things looking new, is there any way to avoid the scratching of the seatpost? Do other colors like black seem to hide it more or less? I guess keeping grit out of the seat collar is the first defense.
Old 04-14-11, 04:10 AM

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The anodized outer layer on Dahon seat posts will wear away slowly so go for silver if you don't want it to create an uneven tone. No reason for big scratches to occur unless hard debris/tiny stone fragments somehow find their way into the seat tube.
Old 04-14-11, 05:59 AM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chagzuki
The anodized outer layer on Dahon seat posts will wear away slowly so go for silver if you don't want it to create an uneven tone. No reason for big scratches to occur unless hard debris/tiny stone fragments somehow find their way into the seat tube.
only way to not get sand in the seat tube is to avoid water.
Old 04-14-11, 09:44 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
like a suspension fork , a wiper seal at the top of the seat post/ frame top could
clear away the big grit, before it's drawn in the space between.
but they are not made like that..

a rag in your pocket, can clean that, before you plunge the post into the frame.
so, rag in pocket, yes it's avoidable.

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-14-11 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-14-11, 09:52 AM

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
like a suspension fork , a wiper seal at the top of the seat post/ frame top could
clear away the big grit, before it's drawn in the space between.
Smart idea.
I wonder if Dahon were to implement that it'd amount to their annual 15% improvement?
Old 04-14-11, 09:59 AM

Location: Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had no problem with scratched seat posts on our 2005 Dahon Boardwalks until I "upgraded" to Aluminum seat post shims from the stock plastic ones - with the goal of eliminating any slippage. Little metal specs were being generated by the new combination and were scoring the seat post.

On my 2006 S1 I left the plastic shim in place and had no problems at all thru Feb of this year when I gave the S1 to my grandson.

Lou
Old 04-16-11, 12:48 AM

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
I consider my folder as a tool to get around fast and easily while traveling. With all the moving parts in the bike that gets constantly moved, I expect wear in the finish of the components. Trying to keep everything "showroom" fresh would be a losing battle and just create frustration if you're that nit-picky.
Old 04-16-11, 09:34 AM

Bikes: Mezzo D9, 2012 Giant Avail 2

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My mezzo lost much of the black from the seat post within a few months. Definitely from folding/unfolding/riding in the rain.

Frustrating because it thoroughly polished off the markings for seat height.
Old 05-09-11, 06:42 AM

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Best advise I have is;
Make sure you loosen the clamp fully and push the post straight down ,don't wiggle from side to side.
Old 05-09-11, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purposely sandpapered the part of the seatpost which meet the clamp area on my Brompton to keep it from sliding.
Old 05-09-11, 07:34 PM
Human Powered Vehiclist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing lasts forever...

Abusing your bike is one thing, but getting normal wear and tear scratches on your bike is unavoidable. I used to be the same way when I first bought a "real" bike back in middle school. I was so concerned about getting scratches on it that I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have.

From working in the guitar industry, I can tell you that some consider it "cool" to have a well worn instrument, it shows character. Some people actually pay good money to have their guitars professionally "reliced," meaning they pay somebody to put scratches and digs on their guitar.

I now have the same approach with my current bike. Yes, take care of it but I'm not going pamper it at clean it with q-tips every night. It's my commuter rig, it's supposed to be looked well used. In fact I would feel like a poser if my bike was too clean and pretty. So stop thinking too much and ride your bike.
Old 05-10-11, 01:24 AM

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay D
Nothing lasts forever...

Abusing your bike is one thing, but getting normal wear and tear scratches on your bike is unavoidable. I was so concerned about getting scratches on it that I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have...............

So stop thinking too much and ride your bike.
I used to coach rollerblading and someone asked me how best to avoide wearing wheels down, i said "dont skate". The cost of skating is wheels, the cost of folders is "folderitis", and longer brake cables and............and..........
Old 05-10-11, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclocommuter
I purposely sandpapered the part of the seatpost which meet the clamp area on my Brompton to keep it from sliding.
Plus one. I did the same thing,cured the post from slipping down. Not only that but if done carefully i suspect one could use the sanded part as a permanent height marker. On mine it needs to be all the way up anyhow but should work for those where seat is not all the way extended.
Some folks even put clear 3M patches where there brake cables rub,personally i prefer my bike to have a well loved and used look.
Old 05-11-11, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ddez
Plus one. I did the same thing,cured the post from slipping down. Not only that but if done carefully i suspect one could use the sanded part as a permanent height marker. On mine it needs to be all the way up anyhow but should work for those where seat is not all the way extended.
Some folks even put clear 3M patches where there brake cables rub,personally i prefer my bike to have a well loved and used look.
Before I sandpapered the post, I purposely "left a marker" with a screwdriver and a hammer. Sandpapering afterwards made the "marker" edges smooth. I guess I hit two birds (fixed the slippage and placed a marker) in one stone there :-)

BTW, on another blog, a fellow cut then wrapped a piece of inner tube at the bottom of the seatpost at a point where it will start preventing the seatpost from being pulled further up. That seems to be a great idea for those who don't want to "scratch" a marker on their seatpost.