Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

I can feel my goal- Need your opinion.

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-11, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am 22 lbs away from being under 200lbs for the first time since I was 14 (32 now). I was close to 300lbs at one point. Running and biking have saved my life. When I get under 200lbs I ge to reward myself with a "new" bike. I say "new" because it will most likely be something I find on craigslist, but a lot nicer than my current 26 lb aluminum and steel downtube shifting patriotic looking workhorse you see as my profile picture. The only thing is, I find myself drawn to walmart....... https://www.walmart.com/ip/700c-Mens-...d-Bike/5585800 ............ It does look sweet, carbon rear, fork, seatpost, and part of the handlebars, and I really like to pictures others have posted online. My impulse is to get it when I reach my goal, but my brain keeps saying wait until something much nicer comes up for the same price on craigs list. Your thoughts?
Old 04-19-11, 08:37 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Craigslist.

Old 04-19-11, 08:44 AM
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want a new bike, and I fully understand the draw to it, shop bikesdirect.com and pick out something with MUCH better gear for the same price. That Schwinn is way overpriced for and would be no better than a bike that requires some very slight assembly from bikesdirect. I'm not a shill for BD, I don't own any of their bikes, but from what I've heard from people who do own them, they seem to like them quite a bit.
Old 04-19-11, 08:57 AM
RVH
Bob in the mountains

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.9 (2004 model bought used)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
I would spend some quality time online doing research and at a good LBS to find out what size you need, and some basic fitting things specific for you. I don't like Craigslist at all as it's full of people who have no idea about what a bike is worth. Just look at how many people don't put the size nor an accurate description of the bike itself. I bought a $5500 bike off of ebay for $1900 and then spent $250 on professional fitting and some new parts (stem, saddle, etc).

I'd rather see you get a bike that really fits you, one that you will WANT to ride because it's comfortable. I don't think you will get that from WalMart or Criagslist.

Bob
Old 04-19-11, 09:17 AM
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bautieri
If you want a new bike, and I fully understand the draw to it, shop bikesdirect.com and pick out something with MUCH better gear for the same price. That Schwinn is way overpriced for and would be no better than a bike that requires some very slight assembly from bikesdirect. I'm not a shill for BD, I don't own any of their bikes, but from what I've heard from people who do own them, they seem to like them quite a bit.
+1 Make absolutely certain you know the correct size frame.
Old 04-19-11, 09:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go get fit at your LBS so you know approximately what size frame to look for. Bring them your future business when buying accessories/parts. You will find a much nicer bike on Craigslist ( be patient ) or bikesdirect.com. I would avoid the Walmart bike, it is not of the appropriate quality to celebrate your accomplishment. Try to stay away from cheap carbon parts, especially when you're still near the heavier end of the spectrum.