Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campy Record rear shifting problem

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-11, 05:54 AM
Zef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Before I start to tear apart my bar tape, rear ergo shifter, etc, I just wanted to get some advice.

My record rear derailleur is on the fritz. I cannot get it dialed in properly. If I get it to shift up the cassette it won't shift down properly and vice versa.

The last time I road my road bike it worked find but it was a wet dirty ride. I cleaned and lubed the drivetrain and put the bike up saving the bulk of the cleaning for when I had time. Yesterday I cleaned the bike fully and re-cleaned and lubed the drive train.

I have cleaned the drive train and checked to make sure the cable guide under the BB shell is clean as well.

I have removed the cable from the derailleur and it is not rusted or kinked. I applied some grease to the cable as a precautionary measure.

I checked the cable end at the ergo lever and it is not kinked, rusted or otherwise gummed up either.

There is not excessive friction from the housing as far as I can tell.

I checked my derailleur hanger alignment with my DAG-2. It is well within acceptable tolerance limits.

The bike has not been laid down or bumped on the drive side and visually the derailleur pulley cage does not appear bent out of alignment what so ever.

I checked to make sure the cassette was not loose.

I checked to make sure the rear wheel was fully inserted in the dropouts.

Shifting at the ergo lever is seems as crisp as it has ever been.

Without the cable attached, when the derailleur is pushed to the largest cog and the let go of, it will drop to the smallest cog without problem. (this leads me to believe it is shifter issue)

The entire bike has less than 3000 miles....probably less than 2000 since I built it.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing have any clues?

It is not like me to have my but kicked by my drivetrain.

Could it be a problem in the ergo? Any advice on cracking it open and what to check for specifically?

-j
Old 04-26-11, 03:46 AM
Zef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
anyone?