Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Boyd Cycling 50mm Tubulars

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-11, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys. Anyone have any info on these? Personal experience? The company is local to me, and all I have found is sponsored teams and people who seem a bit biased to these wheels. Any honest reviews?
Old 04-26-11, 10:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i would also like to know as well. ive heard some good things and the prices are right. these might be my next set of wheels.
Old 04-26-11, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have some on order so I can't say from personal experience yet.

But, I will tell you why I ordered from him after nearly a month of research and talking with many different "wheel builders", not in any order below:

1) He is a stand up guy. First, he races and is a competitor. Does that mean someone who isn't a Cat 1/2 can't build a good wheel? No, but he rides the wheel himself, and successfully. He isn't afraid to go 40mph on the same wheel he sells you. Furthermore, his fast friendly and honest replies to emails and such have been nothing short of excellent. I haven't been able to find anybody who has one bad thing to say about him and his operation and what they are doing.

2) His rims are from Taiwan. He isn't afraid to tell you that either. A few wheelbuilders around here know the exact source and use the same factories. No mysteries here. Boyd's rims are coming from well known quality sources who make stuff for other major brands.

Some people have claimed on here he uses Chinese made rims like Gigantex or other Chinese sources etc...that is nonsense. He tested and tried Chinese wheels, but has found they require way too much work to get them ready, the quality just isn't there and a pain to work with. He doesn't need a bunch of crap rims coming back from customers to save $15-20 per rim and PR problems. He knows you don't run a business by using cheap products to make a few extra bucks. So he doesn't use them. He uses only a quality factory proven hoop.

3) Hubs are from Bitex (Taiwanese). If you have heard of Bitex, then you know, they are not chumps and are a big company. The Front is 78gm and 211gm on the rear. These are the newest hubs he just switched to and is testing from Bitex. He will tell you this if you ask him details and specifics by the way, he told me when I asked for the info. A high quality Japanese bearing is used I would assume, like pretty much every other quality wheel brand out there.

4) Sapim CX Ray bladed spokes. I don't think we need to go into the quality of these spokes and why they are used. Nothing to contend with regarding these.

Put all of the above together, and you have something I found hard to find and get answers on from many "wheel builders" out there for the money.

He is straight forward, has probably one of the best combinations of parts used at that price point. Bang for the buck, you can't go wrong IMO. Hence, I bought some.

Are they as fast and well developed as Zipp? No, but a lot of the technology Taiwanese factories are putting into their products are trickle down from well known brands.

The latest wight numbers he gave me, the set is at 1270gms. Sounds like a win-win to me for the $810 with swisstop brake pads.

Last edited by zigmeister; 04-26-11 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-26-11, 10:39 AM
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i got the 50mm clinchers. i'll vouch for the communication and delivery, top notch.

also, he keeps an inventory of what he sells. so not a lot of waiting around.
Old 04-26-11, 10:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
very cool. now i just need to save the cash lol.
Old 04-26-11, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just order some 58 clinchers last week. The way Boyd has treated me I thought that I was his only customer. Great service, and communication is first class. I saw a set of his wheels in the "HOT or NOT" section, and the wheels put the already nice bike in the real hot category!! Looking forward to the wheels any day now....
Old 04-27-11, 08:02 AM
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 1,845 Times in 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by zigmeister
i have some on order so i can't say from personal experience yet.

But, i will tell you why i ordered from him after nearly a month of research and talking with many different "wheel builders", not in any order below:

1) he is a stand up guy. First, he races and is a competitor. Does that mean someone who isn't a cat 1/2 can't build a good wheel? No, but he rides the wheel himself, and successfully. He isn't afraid to go 40mph on the same wheel he sells you. Furthermore, his fast friendly and honest replies to emails and such have been nothing short of excellent. I haven't been able to find anybody who has one bad thing to say about him and his operation and what they are doing.

2) his rims are from taiwan. He isn't afraid to tell you that either. A few wheelbuilders around here know the exact source and use the same factories. No mysteries here. Boyd's rims are coming from well known quality sources who make stuff for other major brands.

Some people have claimed on here he uses chinese made rims like gigantex or other chinese sources etc...that is nonsense. He tested and tried chinese wheels, but has found they require way too much work to get them ready, the quality just isn't there and a pain to work with. He doesn't need a bunch of crap rims coming back from customers to save $15-20 per rim and pr problems. He knows you don't run a business by using cheap products to make a few extra bucks. So he doesn't use them. He uses only a quality factory proven hoop.

3) hubs are from bitex (taiwanese). If you have heard of bitex, then you know, they are not chumps and are a big company. The front is 78gm and 211gm on the rear. These are the newest hubs he just switched to and is testing from bitex. He will tell you this if you ask him details and specifics by the way, he told me when i asked for the info. A high quality japanese bearing is used i would assume, like pretty much every other quality wheel brand out there.

4) sapim cx ray bladed spokes. I don't think we need to go into the quality of these spokes and why they are used. Nothing to contend with regarding these.

Put all of the above together, and you have something i found hard to find and get answers on from many "wheel builders" out there for the money.

He is straight forward, has probably one of the best combinations of parts used at that price point. Bang for the buck, you can't go wrong imo. Hence, i bought some.

Are they as fast and well developed as zipp? No, but a lot of the technology taiwanese factories are putting into their products are trickle down from well known brands.

The latest wight numbers he gave me, the set is at 1270gms. Sounds like a win-win to me for the $810 with swisstop brake pads.
^^^this
Old 04-27-11, 08:42 AM
Go, Dog. Go!

Bikes: '09 Fuji Team; '11 PedalForce QS3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
See zigmeister's post. 'Nuff said. I recently purchased Boyd's 50mm clinchers. His customer service and wheels are both awesome.
Old 04-28-11, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
man, now y'all got me questioning myself again. i had my mind deadset on waiting for psimet to release his 50f/58r tubular wheelset to the purchasing public. but now, seeing these wheels (which look strickingly similar to psimet rims) and that price and the positive feedback has me second-guessing (or more accurately seventh/eigth-guessing) myself again!
Old 04-28-11, 03:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
let me see....I have boyd tubular 38s, Boyd tublar 50s and Boyd alloy clincher 30s. I've raced on ALL of them. I road race the 38s on hilly road courses our technical crit courses which require a lot of acceleration. they weigh wicked light. The 50mm tubulars are what I've used in fast crit courses and a few TT plus flatter road courses. The 30 alloys are what i used last year to Cyclocross race on and to do average riding on.

The 50s will probably be cyclocross raced this year.

The back story here is one of my teammates bought the clincher 50s last year. After we saw them, we talked to Boyd (in this case Nicole) and got a team deal together. We have ordered umm...well, a BUNCH of their wheels. A bunch for our team that's for sure. Some guys like me have 3 sets of them. I'm not going to lie. These dang wheels are nice. My favorites are the 38s. I just like them. I'm 6'1" and around 190 right now and if I can't kill them or flex them then it's a good thing.

true story...I did a crit race in March. There was a HUGE wreck in front of me and I was on the 38s. I RAN OVER a guy, kept going and the wheels never got out of true. A teammate had a wreck recently. Similar story where wreck happened in front of him. He ran over a guy but his rear wheel got knocked sideways and when he landed he rolled a tubular. just about 1/4 of it. He skidded to a stop...got to the pits, grabbed another wheel, got his free lap and finished the race in the lead group. He races exclusively on the 50 tubulars. No damage to them.

Nicole and Boyd have done us right and we liked their wheels before we worked out a deal.

I was even one of the only guys racing the hell of the south in my group on tubulars. Conti Sprinters and C38s. Gravel sections, potholes and carbon tubulars....zero issues.
Old 04-28-11, 03:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't have to buy a set of 50s, 38s or 58s from Boyd. You can do 38/50, 50/58 or whatever you want up to 88s. I've done some rides with my 38/50s.

Originally Posted by transamman1999
man, now y'all got me questioning myself again. i had my mind deadset on waiting for psimet to release his 50f/58r tubular wheelset to the purchasing public. but now, seeing these wheels (which look strickingly similar to psimet rims) and that price and the positive feedback has me second-guessing (or more accurately seventh/eigth-guessing) myself again!
Old 04-28-11, 03:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh and he is going to try white rims and hubs on the alloy side i think but they are also redoing their decals and they looks sharp. You should friend nicole on facebook or friend boyd on facebook. they have the new decals shown there and nicole's new bike.