Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ok, I'm looking to purchase a 2nd touring bike for my son - trying to save a 'little'

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Ok, I'm looking to purchase a 2nd touring bike for my son - trying to save a 'little'

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-11, 05:28 PM

Bikes: Had a Surly Cross Check - was totaled in recent accident. Sadly now just a Fuji Crosstown as a backup bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Getting ready for the tour this summer

I'm looking hard at the Marin 4 corners - anyone here ride it or have touched it? I know the chain stays are a little shorter, and I feel like that can be worked around for almost $350 less dollars.

Thanks for any other thoughts.

https://www.marinbikes.com/2011/bike_...serialnum=1855
Old 05-01-11, 05:40 PM
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Looks like the Marin is a thousand bucks. I don't know that it's that much cheaper than a Trek 520 or a Surly LHT (are those both $1,350 now?).

That chain stay is shorter than my LHT. I guess if he pulls a trailer it wouldn't matter. It is classified as a touring bike so maybe it's sufficient.

Any way you could put a rack and panniers on it to let him try it? Maybe if your lbs sells that stuff they wouldn't mind setting it up if they thought you were genuinely interested.

I just did a quick look online and it looks like the LHT is going for $1095 - $1199 depending on source. And the Trek 520 from $1055.99 - $1299

I'd want to know what I'm getting to save only 50 or 100 bucks.

Last edited by scroca; 05-01-11 at 05:45 PM. Reason: update prices
Old 05-01-11, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Windsor Tourist is likely the best budget option tourer on the market (used lucky strike aside).
Old 05-01-11, 06:54 PM

Bikes: Had a Surly Cross Check - was totaled in recent accident. Sadly now just a Fuji Crosstown as a backup bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My LBS can only get Surly, Marin, or Fuji touring bikes. I'd rather buy from them as the next closest bike store is 2 hours away - and I like having the tuneups and adjustments and warranty service nearby as I don't have a car. I could get Salsa stuff, but it is way out of my price range.

He doesn't stock the bikes, nor would I expect him to as it is a very small store. He orders them as you need them, so I'd have to buy sight unseen. I'm use to that part. Locally the Marin would be $999, the Fuji Touring would be $999, and the Surly would be $1199. For personal reasons I'd rather not go Fuji again. I've never had a Marin, but I hear great things about their other bikes. Component wise it seems to be a great deal. I'd rather not purchase online because I try hard to support the LBS.

Thanks for any further thoughts.
Old 05-02-11, 07:49 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How big are your son's feet? I have size 14's. Longer chainstays are a big deal for me. If I wore size 9's, maybe I wouldn't worry so much. I didn't carefully check the specs on the Marin. All I can say is that I have an LHT and it's a great tourer.
Old 05-02-11, 09:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He and I are both size 11.5
Old 05-02-11, 09:36 PM

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specs on that Marin look good to me. Any minor sizing issues can probably be easily fixed with a few adjustments. I doubt that the chain stay length would be an issue to worry about.

If money is much of a consideration, a Windsor Tourist would be a good choice at about $300 less as long as there is a near fit.

I've had the impression that most stock touring bikes come with inferior tires. Might check into that. High puncture resistance is very important.