Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

New Embarrassed Rider

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-13, 11:41 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nerys
I have a little igniter on the back. if I fart SPARK SPARK and Vrooom momentary rocket propulsion :-)
Hey, Man! I SO admire you! [Not so much for the farts...but for getting out there and riding!]

When I started riding, I was **only**[snicker] 50 lbs. overweight- and it was very hard. So I can only imagine how hard any physical activity must've been for you. I've only lost about 35 lbs. so far- and I'm stagnating, trying to lose the last 15 or so- it seems like such a struggle- And there you are....having a REAL struggle!

Keep up the good work!!!! You're an inspiration! (And such a good attitude means that you've already got the battle half won!)
Old 01-29-13, 11:44 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by DayGloDago
When I started riding, I was **only**[snicker] 50 lbs. overweight- and it was very hard. So I can only imagine how hard any physical activity must've been for you. I've only lost about 35 lbs. so far- and I'm stagnating, trying to lose the last 15 or so- it seems like such a struggle- And there you are....having a REAL struggle!

Keep up the good work!!!! You're an inspiration! (And such a good attitude means that you've already got the battle half won!)
Chris is not only fixing himself, but he seems to be fixing me as well.

Old 01-29-13, 11:47 PM

Bikes: Day 6 Dream 21

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its easy to not be bothered by jerks when you KNOW you could easily eat them for dinner :-)

Just say hey. you want to come over as dinner?

and see if they "get it" and how long it takes for them to get it :-) hehe
Old 01-30-13, 10:06 AM
Neil_B

Here is Nerys struggling. He's just come over a rise, or what he would call a "hill."

Old 01-30-13, 10:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I challenge any skinny rider to hump a 230 pound backpack up that "rise" and not call it a hill :-) hehehe :-)
Old 01-30-13, 10:18 AM
Neil_B

I challenge any skinny rider to hump a 230 pound backpack up that "rise" and not call it a hill :-) hehehe :-)
Every new rider has to come to terms with going uphill sooner or later.

Old 01-30-13, 10:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not concerned. as I get in shape and lose weight the hills will simply get easier.
Old 01-30-13, 10:53 AM
Neil_B

I am not concerned. as I get in shape and lose weight the hills will simply get easier.
There's a cycling quotation, I believe from Greg LeMond, that hills never get easier, you only get faster.

Old 01-30-13, 11:33 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heh, guys- struggling up hills that don't even seem to be hills, is probably the most demoralizing thing. I was so disgusted with myself, when I would have to stop and rest half-way up a small up-grade. Where did all these hills come from? When I'd drive these roads in my truck, they seemed practically flat, except for a few places!

I had been slim/fit most of my life. The weight crept up on me, and i didn't realize it, 'cause I really didn't look "fat" (People would even say to me "Why do you want to lose weight? You're not fat!")- But I could feel myself slowing down. At first I was thinking maybe it's just a part of getting older. I knew I needed to get more exercise and to get in-shape...but it wasn't until I started using those on-line bike-fit calculators and taking measurements, that I realized I was 50 lbs. overweight, and that that was probably 75% of my problem.

My best friend back where I used to live- he's a big guy (Always weighed in the upped 200's...now weighs 350)- Over the course of 20 years, I'd always try and get him to come for walks and stuff.... I think I actually got him to go maybe two or three times. I didn't realize back then how difficult it must have been for him....but I figured if I could get him started with a little physical activity, he might keep at it. Unfortunately, he never did- and now he recently got married and had a kid....but he's getting fatter, and I fear that he will be dead by the time his son is 10.

I don't know why some people are ashamed to be seen with fat people, though. Another friend of mine and i would talk about going to the beach...and I'd say "We can take Eric"- and the mutual friend would say "I don't want to go with him, he's too fat!". I just never got it.... I suspect that our mutual friend was too insecure with himself. I never did end up going to the beach with that guy- that helped me realize what an ass he was. (Never ended up going there with Eric either...but I wouldn't have had a problem with it...and eventually Eric got a boat, and I went with him on that plenty of times!). I still keep in touch with Eric to this day- even though we've lived 1000 miles from each other now, for 11 years....but I haven't bothered with "the ass" in years.

Hey, Nerys, that's an interesting bike that you have. Could you tell us a little about it?
Old 01-30-13, 11:58 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Despite what Lemond(?) may have said...it is TRUE! [Lemond's quote may be true for people who are already fit....but for those of us coming in to the sport being severely out-of-sshape....not so much.]

I had heard that quote- and this past year, while hoping that the hills would get easier, I'd think of that quote, and say to myself "I guess it won't get easier....so I'd better get used to this, and just hope that I can at least get faster". But just lately- after about 2500 miles of riding, since I began in April of '12...not only am I indeed getting faster...but it IS getting easier!

My first real ride back in April...I did 11 miles, and had to stop and rest at least 20 times.... I'd have to stop halfway up virtually every hill- even rather small ones...and then rest again when I got to the top- and I'd be panting so hard, I thought I was going to die. Now, I can actually whiz over 75% of those hills, without dreading them, or even giving it a thought. I'm just getting now to the point where I can enjoy riding more, because it has gotten easier....

Thank goodness Lemond's statement doesn't apply to us....because if I had to struggle forever, the way I did up until recently, I don't know if I could have stuck with cycling! And while I'm sure that there will come a point at which I will reach my maximum capacity, from which I will not be able to progress.....I'm also sure that I still have a good ways to go to get to that point....so I look forward to it getting even easier (and faster!) during this next year.

I guess Lemond was never in as bad shape as I was..... To someone who is already fit..sure, it never really gets easier, because they're already near the top end of their efficiency/limits....so the only measurable area with room for improvement, is speed. But for us decrepit types....we have much room in which to improve in all aspects- i.e. endurance; strength; speed......so we make much bigger gains.

It's a littlke disheartening when you ride for a few months, and it doesn't seem to get easier [In fact, there were times when it seemed like it was getting harder!]...but then when you finally break through and make a noticeable improvement- a gain that you can really see- it feels GREAT, and gives you the motivation to keep at it, because you know you'll get better andf better....your health will improve, and you'll enjoy riding much more!
Old 01-31-13, 12:51 AM
Neil_B

I guess Lemond was never in as bad shape as I was.....
Were you ever shot? LeMond nearly died in a hunting accident.

Old 01-31-13, 12:58 AM
Neil_B

It's a littlke disheartening when you ride for a few months, and it doesn't seem to get easier [In fact, there were times when it seemed like it was getting harder!]...but then when you finally break through and make a noticeable improvement- a gain that you can really see- it feels GREAT, and gives you the motivation to keep at it, because you know you'll get better andf better....your health will improve, and you'll enjoy riding much more!
Agreed.

And be sure to follow Chris as he trains..... in 240 days he's riding a century - 100 mile ride in a day - in the MS City to Shore.

Old 01-31-13, 05:58 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What is that gob of duct tape on his handlebars doing?
Old 01-31-13, 07:27 AM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Despite what Lemond(?) may have said...it is TRUE! [Lemond's quote may be true for people who are already fit....but for those of us coming in to the sport being severely out-of-sshape....not so much.]

I had heard that quote- and this past year, while hoping that the hills would get easier, I'd think of that quote, and say to myself "I guess it won't get easier....so I'd better get used to this, and just hope that I can at least get faster". But just lately- after about 2500 miles of riding, since I began in April of '12...not only am I indeed getting faster...but it IS getting easier!

My first real ride back in April...I did 11 miles, and had to stop and rest at least 20 times.... I'd have to stop halfway up virtually every hill- even rather small ones...and then rest again when I got to the top- and I'd be panting so hard, I thought I was going to die. Now, I can actually whiz over 75% of those hills, without dreading them, or even giving it a thought. I'm just getting now to the point where I can enjoy riding more, because it has gotten easier....

Thank goodness Lemond's statement doesn't apply to us....because if I had to struggle forever, the way I did up until recently, I don't know if I could have stuck with cycling! And while I'm sure that there will come a point at which I will reach my maximum capacity, from which I will not be able to progress.....I'm also sure that I still have a good ways to go to get to that point....so I look forward to it getting even easier (and faster!) during this next year.

I guess Lemond was never in as bad shape as I was..... To someone who is already fit..sure, it never really gets easier, because they're already near the top end of their efficiency/limits....so the only measurable area with room for improvement, is speed. But for us decrepit types....we have much room in which to improve in all aspects- i.e. endurance; strength; speed......so we make much bigger gains.

Mirrors my experience exactly.
Old 01-31-13, 07:44 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by CraigB
My guess is that its a DIY mount for some gadget.

Old 01-31-13, 11:36 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Neil_B
Were you ever shot? LeMond nearly died in a hunting accident.
Not me....but a friend of mine was shot in the stomach by a hit-man...and walked out of the hosp'il 10 days later. Does that count?

Agreed.

And be sure to follow Chris as he trains..... in 240 days he's riding a century - 100 mile ride in a day - in the MS City to Shore.
(((faints))))

Originally Posted by CraigB
It used to hold a stick out in front of the bike with a Twinkie on it, for motivation!
Old 01-31-13, 11:42 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see Nerys has a Mira-cycle mirror, just like mine! Are those things great, or what?!
Old 01-31-13, 05:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
did not know what the mirror was called BUT I LOVE IT. its VERY good.

the ductape is a small folding tripod that has a mount for my phone. I just got a proper mount in the mail so will be removing that one.

its a Day 6 Dream 21 Semi Recumbent or "crank forward" not a full recumbent but "inbetween"

the FULL seat is what makes it so comfortable. also the crank forward also help with the physical compression stress of flesh on seat that a regular bike has that causes problems for us fat folk :-)

ie your thighs and groin don't get ripped apart.
Old 01-31-13, 11:13 PM
Neil_B

(((faints))))
I believe in this man. He will do it.

Old 01-31-13, 11:44 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe in this man. He will do it.
Well, I'd be embarrassed to ride with Chris on THAT one.... 'cause I wouldn't be able to keep up!

Truly amazing and inspiring!

I've heard of people riding who werre cancer patients...and recovering from heart attacks and joint replacements, etc. but Nerys impresses me!!!
Old 01-31-13, 11:57 PM
Neil_B

Well, I'd be embarrassed to ride with Chris on THAT one.... 'cause I wouldn't be able to keep up!

Truly amazing and inspiring!

I've heard of people riding who werre cancer patients...and recovering from heart attacks and joint replacements, etc. but Nerys impresses me!!!
Hmm, interesting you mentioned joint replacement..... guess who is riding with Nerys?

Seriously, I don't know if I should ride the entire 100 miles with Nerys or just part of it with him and concentrate on my own ride.

Old 02-09-13, 07:19 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Insight STI-8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jyossarian
Who the f*ck says anything to anyone about how they're exercising? I never got any comments about being fat and riding. I got yelled at to get off the road or out of the way, but that's more to do w/ being in traffic w/ a driver behind you that wants to be in front of you. If anyone says anything insensitive about your weight and your bike, punch them in the throat and keep on riding.
Haven't gotten a comment while riding, but when I used to run I had some kids yell at me from their car run fatty run or something similar. It happens. There are morons out there.
Old 02-09-13, 07:33 PM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by jyossarian
Who the f*ck says anything to anyone about how they're exercising? I never got any comments about being fat and riding. I got yelled at to get off the road or out of the way, but that's more to do w/ being in traffic w/ a driver behind you that wants to be in front of you. If anyone says anything insensitive about your weight and your bike, punch them in the throat and keep on riding.
I was heckled while riding through Manayunk once. While perhaps that's to be expected in the city that booed Santa Claus, it still counts.

Old 02-10-13, 10:17 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some people will heckle anyone- just because you happen to be there, and they feel like having some fun. I've been yelled at just walking my dog through the streets at night, when I was in top shape...just because I was the only one around- "Get a car!" -I'd usually laugh, and yell something back, if I could think of something witty. One time: [As their car was at a stop sign at an intersection I had just walked across]"Does that dog bite?" My reply: "Yeah. Do you?".

Thing is, to someone who may already be paranoid because of some perceived flaw, they will think that hecklers are picking on them because of whatever they are sensitive about. In reality, they're just looking for any excuse to say something, to anybody. If you happen to be fat, or a four-eyes[like me!]or bear a resemblance to Pee Wee Herman or Larry Fine, of couse, they'll use that.

Heck, ever tried it? It IS fun!
Old 02-11-13, 05:30 PM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Thing is, to someone who may already be paranoid because of some perceived flaw, they will think that hecklers are picking on them because of whatever they are sensitive about. In reality, they're just looking for any excuse to say something, to anybody. If you happen to be fat, or a four-eyes[like me!]or bear a resemblance to Pee Wee Herman or Larry Fine, of couse, they'll use that.

Heck, ever tried it? It IS fun!
Sounds like rationalization of rudeness to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.