Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Windbreaker too chilly, winter jacket not needed- what do you wear.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-04, 04:15 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts

In the fall we get early Mornings with temperatures about 45-47 degrees.Windbreaker not enough.Yet, winter jacket too hot...What do you do to stay warm in these im- between weather conditions.?
Old 11-03-04, 05:24 AM
Studs Terkel

Bikes: Pinarello Paris; Avanti Blade Comp; Tommasini X-Fire; Merckx San Remo 76.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Nalini Base Winter jerseys when the temp is about 0C to 12C.
Old 11-03-04, 06:33 AM
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
45°F is still short sleeve jersey weather for this boy. You might want to slip an UnderArmour type long sleeve on underneath.
Old 11-03-04, 07:05 AM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Layers...
Old 11-03-04, 07:15 AM

Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the mid to high 40s, usually a long sleeve base layer with a short sleeve jersey over the top. Mid 30s to low 40s, I'll wear arm warmers and a vest, and a jacket if it's colder than that.
Old 11-03-04, 10:03 AM
Two wheel escape!!

Bikes: Trek 5200

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dobber is on the mark...I use an underarmour long sleeve turtleneck for 40 - 55 degrees with a short sleeve over top. Under 40 degrees, use theunderarmour and a Canari windbreaker. Under 30 I go to a Reebock windproof running hoodie, with a great front pouch.
Old 11-03-04, 10:09 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
In the fall we get early Mornings with temperatures about 45-47 degrees.Windbreaker not enough.Yet, winter jacket too hot...What do you do to stay warm in these im- between weather conditions.?
I just rode 22 miles this morning at 30 degrees F. I wore my goretex jacket and a LS cycling jersey. At 45-47 F I wear a windbreaker over the same LS jersey. So I guess my answer would be that the windbreaker should be enough. Pedal Faster!

ZIPPERS ARE THE THERMOSTATS OF A CYLING JACKET. The more the better. Pit zips are especially nice on my Gore Tex jacket. They can take you from too warm to just right very quickly. Hardly anyone every mentions zippers but to me, they are very important. Aside from regulating your pedaling effort, zippers are equally if not more efficient at regulating your tempertature.
Old 11-03-04, 11:02 AM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You need some vents in your wind breaker.
Or something like a light windpro fleece.
Old 11-03-04, 11:28 AM
. . . rosebud . . .

Bikes: Diamondback Outlook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear short-sleeve underarmour t-shirt, regular short-sleeved jersey, and arm warmers. The jersey has a bit of a collar if I zip it all the way up, and I also bring along a skull-cap to use under the helmet in case it's too cold. Oh, and leg warmers.

Under 40F I ditch the underarmour and put on a thick fleece top on top.

So far I'm not a fan of wind/rain proof jackets since they don't seem to breath enough and I get uncomfortable. (I only have a nylon DWR-coated thing - with chest and pit zips. It's too hot.)
Old 11-03-04, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
What type of windbreaker? I have one for summer use, but it is not proof enough for winter. Another one I have is made of heavier grade polycotton and is good for below freezing.
I figured out a "huff test" for windproofs. Seal the material against your mouth and give a powerful huff. Ideally some air should be forced slowly through under pressure. If the air goes through quickly, it's for summer. If, like a goretex, nothing budges, then its for rain.
Old 11-04-04, 11:39 AM

Location: The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A fleece pullover works great for me. Ventilated well, wicks well and easy to put on/pull off. And layers of course.
Old 11-04-04, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by foehn
A fleece pullover works great for me. Ventilated well, wicks well and easy to put on/pull off. And layers of course.
Foehn...Are all fleece pullover's the same..They all are made of wicking properties. When I think fleece, I think cotton..To me, cotton does not wick?
Old 11-04-04, 11:59 AM
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
There's plenty of synthetic fleece out there. Do not wear cotton.
Old 11-04-04, 12:23 PM
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think what foehn is referring to is Polartec type material.

'bent Brian
Old 11-04-04, 02:41 PM

Location: The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Foehn...Are all fleece pullover's the same..They all are made of wicking properties. When I think fleece, I think cotton..To me, cotton does not wick?
As others have suggested, I am talking about polyester fleece, Polartec or similar.

A couple of years ago, just at the tail end of a polyester-fleece fasion fad cycle, I picked up at a yard sale two pullover polyester fleece shirts, each with about a 9" zipper in the front from. I think they were originally sold by Target. One is red and the other blue and their back panels are "drop tail", that is they are longer in the back than in the front. I can go out in one of those on a cooler day (50-60° F) and they wick quite well and are just enough to keep the chill off, especially when I have to stop at lights and stuff. The red one is quite bright and the drop-tails cover my hips, which I appreciate when it is cold. The best thing? I am still wearing them, they still have alot of life left and I only paid 5$ for the pair!

I have a Wind-stopper Polartec Fleece Jacket I use when it gets colder. It is bright, pure yellow and is really nice to ride in. I paid quite a bit more for this than the shirts above, but I don't think it wicks any better, but it is nice when I am out when it is colder.

Do not get the cotton "athletic" fleece, or even the cotton/poly athletic fleece. They will just soak stuff up and stay wet. I went out today in a cheap, big ol' hooded sweat-shirt, 50/50 cotton poly, and it was pretty comfortable, but it was cool enough out to keep me from sweating too much. I got plenty of looks in it as it is High-Visibility Dayglo Chartreuse (lime yellow-green); I bought is because of the color and it was only 10 bucks--hey, what can I say, I am frugal. If I am out and it gets to the point that I am sweating and getting soaked, I am not riding in this shirt--it'll be tied onto my rack trunk.

I think a decent fleece overshirt/jacket combined with a good wicking jersey or wicking t-shirt is the only way to go in the relatively mild cold we have here and if it gets colder use more layers--didn't you know that our 40-60º winters are killers?
Old 11-04-04, 02:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by foehn
As others have suggested, I am talking about polyester fleece, Polartec or similar. . .
And don't feel you have to have something made specifically for biking. Biking clothes are nice, but there is alot of sportsclothing out there that would work just as nicely. If it works, use it!
Old 11-04-04, 03:41 PM
Car-Free Flatlander

Bikes: Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last year I picked up a Columbia Titanium Rain Parka which has a separate zip front Polarfleece jacket/liner. Weather has been in the 40s and 50s so, when it's cooler I just wear a heavy shirt under the Polarfleece jacket. It's not cycling specific but the double zipper on the front and zip up pockets are very convenient.

When it gets too warm I just wrap it around my waist. When it gets cooler I zip it up as a turtleneck. When the weather gets cold I'll just add the windbreaker shell which has a hood, more pockets, and plenty of velcro.

Now all I have to worry about is my bottom half.

Stacy
Old 11-05-04, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like quilted Flannel shirts
Old 11-05-04, 03:37 AM

I just bought some long sleeve base layer t shirts..See how that helps..Plus a new pair of knickers are coming..In winter here, you could very well need prepare for low 40's at 7 am and 70's at Noon.
Old 11-05-04, 07:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My suggestion: a light l/s shirt with wicking properties underneath your jersey and a vest with a mesh back and a solid front. These vests are amazing designs, with windbreaker fronts and ventilating backs, and the one I have folds up into a small roll, easily tucked into a jersey pocket. From what you describe, Cyclezealot, I would say a fleece garment would be too hot and not easily stored if you need to take it off on a ride. There are numerous sources for relatively inexpensive undershirts.

BTW, to support the company, Malden Mills, I buy only Polartec fleece products. Several years ago, when the company's plant burned down, the owner, apparently out of loyalty to his employees, kept them on the payroll until he could rebuild and put them back to work. I appreciate his altruism and concern for the welfare of his workforce.
Old 11-05-04, 10:20 AM
ex frame builder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Sometimes you are going out for a long ride and starting early when it’s cold, but you don’t want to wear extra clothes because you know it will warm up later. A sheet of newspaper under you jersey will keep the wind off your chest and keep you very warm and you can dispose of it later when it warms up. This is one of those low tech tips that does work.
Old 11-05-04, 10:44 AM

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Long sleeve soccer shirt and a thin nylon jacket. As I warm up I can unzip the jacket.
Old 11-05-04, 11:25 AM
Just ride.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Long sleeve jersey and nylon windbreaker vest. Unzip or remove vest if/when necessary.
Old 11-05-04, 11:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Layers or a strawberry blond...not necessarily in that order.
Old 11-05-04, 12:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nike Sphere Thermal with a T underneath.

https://www.nike.com/usa/nikesphere/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.