Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New or old derailuer for my Raleigh?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-11, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Posted similar question in the mechanics forum but thought I might get more/different insight here (ie: I'm not TRYING to be annoying, lol). The Simplex derailluers on my Raleigh GP are shot. The price of old Suntour or Huret running gear on eBay about equals the price of some low end new Shimano stuff from my LBS (talking front rear, plus new shifters). Though the guy is into vintage bikes, he doesn't recommend old derailluers, says new ones have improved yada yada.

Is the new stuff better? Any reason to go with old stuff asside from looks? Might affect value, I suppose, but I think I'll be upside down no matter what when this nightmare *ahem* project is over.

Oh, and either way I'll do a new freewheel.
Old 05-10-11, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I'd go with the Suntour Cyclone GT then you can ride wide range freewheels. Another great candidate is the older Shimano Deore. They have a really heavy weight quality to them and with a little polish make a gorgeous finishing touch.
Old 05-10-11, 08:07 AM
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
2 cents here. It sounds like your mechanic is trying to sell you some unsuitable parts. New low end stuff from Shimano? Fugly garbage even if it works well for awhile and looks certainly do count. If you want to keep a ride classic, get some used/not abused Suntour stuff and keep your costs down. Look for a doner bike maybe? I sure wouldn't pile tons of money into a Grand Prix because resale value isn't really an issue. It's a rider.
Old 05-10-11, 08:08 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I think it is true that the new Shimano derailleurs are better than the old ones, but that's partly because they utilize some of Suntour's design features. Another advantage of the new ones is that they index with the shifters; but this is not an advantage to you. The better new derailleurs are made to mount to a derailleur hanger that's part of the dropout; you don't have that on your Grand Prix, so you'll have to go with a new cheap model. So, bottom line... is the new cheap model better than an old Suntour or something on ebay? I rather doubt it. I'd go with an old Suntour.
Old 05-10-11, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread......?highlight=
Old 05-10-11, 08:16 AM
rpf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are you being quoted on the huret mech ?

I may be able to help you out here as I have an old huret alvit mech in good nick if you fancy.
Old 05-10-11, 08:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah yes, my budget would help. Based on my eBay searches, it seems like I could get a front and rear derailluer plus shifters for roughly $50, which is about the same as I'd pay for the low-end Shimano stuff at REI. Maybe closer to $60. Definitely don't want to pay more, would love to spend less.

That said I probably want something slightly higher end than an Allvit, rpf, but thanks much for the offer.

At the risk of deraillueriing (get it?!) my own thread, when did Raleigh switch from Simplex to Huret? My dad's old GP is the spitting image of the one I bought, only it has nice looking Huret stuff that shined up like a new penny. The Simplex stuff, beyond not working, looks like crap. Even the shifters are black plastic.

Last edited by Dav305z; 05-10-11 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-10-11, 08:55 AM
rpf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No worries man, yeah the huret stuff isn't much good to be fair i'd hold out for something better myself although if nothing comes your way shout me , i'm not really looking for anything for it happy to just accept postage costs.

I would imagine Raliegh Nottingham changed to Huret somewhere about the mid 70's although I could be out by a few years.

Keep an eye out for suntour stuff, sometimes you get a bargain on it..or you could strip your dad's GP and hope he doesnt notice
Old 05-10-11, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Do you have a co-op nearby? If so I'd try there for some Suntour V-gt derailleurs and ratcheting downtube shifters. Of course you can also find them on Ebay, but you'll wind up spending more. For the price I don't believe you'll find more reliable mechanicals. They also look period-correct.
Old 05-10-11, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
+1 I replaced the Simplex with a SunTour on a Grand Prix and it shifts great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
gp2abf.jpg (101.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 05-10-11, 10:32 AM
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by Dav305z
when did Raleigh switch from Simplex to Huret? .
In '72 you could find GP's with either group. I bought a 10 speed Glider (Raleigh rebrand) from Eatons department store with Huret , had problems with it, returned it and the replacement was Simplex.
Old 05-10-11, 12:15 PM

Bikes: 73 Super Sport, 86 Tempo, 86 Peloton, 87 Super Sport, 83 Peugeot PFN10, 76 Super Course MK IV, 94 Univega Alpina 5.5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 34 Posts
I would go with any long cage Suntour derailleur. My son's Super Course has a AR shifting a 14/34 and my Peloton has a VxGt doing likewise. They shift just as well as the new Deore XT on my Davidson. The Deore will shift a 9 speed cassette. I dont know if the old Suntours will manage more than 7.
Old 05-10-11, 02:38 PM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Dave305Z, Keep an eye out for SunTour derailleurs. I could've used my Shimano spares on my RRA, but it just wouldn't have been right, in my eyes anyway.

Brad
Old 05-11-11, 09:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will a Fuji (Suntour) VX fit, using a claw? I see a front/rear set in eBay for a reasonable price. From what I've read, it's basically a lighter version of the V-GT, right?
Old 05-12-11, 12:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am looking to replace the rear Huret on my fiance's Sprite with a derailleur that actually, y'know, works. Well, it works, but you have to dial in each gear as if you were tuning a weak station on an old radio.
Old 05-12-11, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dav305z
Will a Fuji (Suntour) VX fit, using a claw? I see a front/rear set in eBay for a reasonable price. From what I've read, it's basically a lighter version of the V-GT, right?
The GT suffix indicates a longer cage. Sometimes a Vx will have one; more often it will have a standard cage, at least ime. The longer cage will give you more chain wrap so it's desirable if you want to run a wide-range freewheel. Check velobase or disraeli gears for the details.
Old 05-12-11, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I like my old Suntour V, but it certainly doesn't shift better than the Shimano Ultegra on my Bridgestone. Suntours shifted better than anything else in their time, but their time has passed.

Last edited by Grand Bois; 05-12-11 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-12-11, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Grand Bois
I like my old Suntour V, but it certainly doesn't shift better than the Shimano Ultegra on my Bridgestone. Suntours shifted better than anything else in their time, but their time has passed.
That may be, but the OP didn't seem to be considering that price point. I still think for durability, reliability and value, the V series is a fine choice.
Old 05-12-11, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
+1 to the Suntour Vx variants. Cyclones too but they are getting expensive.

Another good economical choice is a Huret Challenger, or even a Shimano Light Action.
Old 05-12-11, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by due ruote
That may be, but the OP didn't seem to be considering that price point. I still think for durability, reliability and value, the V series is a fine choice.
I paid $39.95 for my Ultegra GS from a site in Colorado. I think I paid that much for a nice Suntour V GT Luxe.
Old 05-12-11, 07:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got the VX. $30 shipped front and rear. Disraeli Gears says it can handle up to 28 teeth, which is what I have on the biggest cog of my 7-speed cassette. Now all I need are some downtube shifters and I'll be in business. Anyone have? Please remember that I'm still not worthy enough to respond to PMs.
Old 05-12-11, 07:37 PM

Somebody send him some Simplex retrofrictions. I'm fresh out.
Old 05-13-11, 02:36 AM
rpf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by formicaman
I am looking to replace the rear Huret on my fiance's Sprite with a derailleur that actually, y'know, works. Well, it works, but you have to dial in each gear as if you were tuning a weak station on an old radio.
haha ! What a great expression, I suffered a huret mech for a long time so I hear you loud and clear
Old 05-13-11, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rpf
haha ! What a great expression, I suffered a huret mech for a long time so I hear you loud and clear
Which Huret model(s) are you referring to?

The Challenger/Success is one of the best DR's I've experienced.
(I do not disagree that not all Hurets are created equal though.)
Old 05-13-11, 06:23 AM
rpf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
Which Huret model(s) are you referring to?

The Challenger/Success is one of the best DR's I've experienced.
(I do not disagree that not all Hurets are created equal though.)
My experience is with a couple of Allvit's which I found to be rather troublesome, I hopped on a friends bike with a challenger tenspeed mech a while back and found it to be a vast improvement indeed.

This explains why I was going to give away the allvit I have lying around my parts bin such is the level of offense it caused me

To clarify I wasn't criticising all huret mechs, just the allvit and I should have made that clear I must confess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.