Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Western Canada
Reload this Page >

Edmonton - used or co-op, suggestions needed

Search
Notices
Western Canada Alberta | British Columbia | Manitoba | Northwest Territories | Nunavut | Saskatchewan | Yukon Territory

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-11, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,

In an extremely encouraging development, my girlfriend (who lives in Edmonton) has decided she'd like to get a bike for the summer, after not riding for many years. Since I'm in NW Washington state, I can't easily walk her through finding something quality in town. I'm inclined to send her to Bike Works, but having never been there, can anyone give me some input on the shop and whether there's a chance she'll be able to find something built that will work for her there? Is there a good shop selling used that she should visit instead? I'd like to find her something basic, just to "encourage" her to fall in love with cycling.

I've tried Craigslist but I think I'm spoiled with our Seattle-area used market; the rides available weren't worth pursuing. If anyone has a lead on something solid, used, and around $150 that didn't come from Canadian Tire I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

JW
Old 05-12-11, 10:55 AM
Riding the road to PARADISE...RIP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm one of the mechanics at Bikeworks. We've been selling built-up bikes like crazy with the start of spring, so selection is a bit limited right now. It changes every week, so if she checks back a few times I'm sure we can find something for her. We have a bike building night every Tuesday, so Thursday night would be the best time to stop by (we're closed Wednesdays at the moment). If she's willing to do some work herself (with our guidance), that opens up more possibilities. Ready-to-go bikes tend to be around $80--$100, ones needing work are usually $40--$80.

As for other sources, there's a police auction on the first Saturday of each month. You could also keep an eye on Kijiji, which is much more popular than Craigslist around here. Most of it will be Canadian Tire specials, but decent bikes do come up once in a while. Value Village occasionally has something decent, but that's pretty rare in my experience.

Last edited by IanHelgesen; 05-12-11 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-15-11, 10:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perfect! Thanks, Ian. That's exactly the type of information I was hoping to get. I'll send her in...
Old 05-15-11, 10:27 AM

Bikes: Trek 1220 - Araya R200 - Specialized StumpJumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how big and what type bike is she looking for?
Old 05-16-11, 12:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Gerald,

I've never put her on any bikes her size, but at 5'6" with pretty long legs I'm going to guess she's probably going to need a 51-52cm road bike or 16-17 mountain. Ideally, it wouldn't be a cruiser but something light enough that she could ride for fitness (hybrid would even work). At this point I'm not too picky, if there's a good solid bike that you know of, let me know!

Thank you.
Old 05-20-11, 09:12 AM

Bikes: Trek 1220 - Araya R200 - Specialized StumpJumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Miata that I would like to find a suitable rider for, but it would be too small.
Mtn. bike, would make a great little fitness bike with smooth tires.

I'll keep my eyes open here in AB.