Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Kryptonite POS lock

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Kryptonite POS lock

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-11, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Kryptonite POS lock

I've had my Kryptonite Evolution Series4 lock and chain for maybe 6 months and used it exaxtly once. Today I needed it so I locked it around my waist and headed off. When I got to my destination, the POS wouldn't unlock. So it's around my waist, I can't get it off, and I can't lock the bike.

I checked my bike in a local garage for $7, and went into a bathroom where, with a bit of lost skin, I managed to get it off so I could carry it for the next two hours.

It looks like the last - plate? - isn't aligned correctly and I can't get it to shift with a paper clip. So I can't get the key all the way in.

I'll send it back to Kryptonite, but I'm not buying their locks again.

Anyone have any suggestions for fixing it short of returning it?
Old 05-11-11, 06:01 PM
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No suggestions, but you get my vote for post of the day
Old 05-11-11, 06:15 PM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I bought one of the cheaper Kryptonites, and I have similar problems with it all the time. It's never come down to not being able to unlock it, but I have gone through my entire store of curse words before it has opened. And I can curse in English, Hindi, Tamil, and Bengali.
Old 05-11-11, 06:24 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I may need to learn a new language since I've used up all the words that I know.

So I took the key, shoved it in as hard as I could (not caring if I break it off in the lock) and turn it as hard as I can. The key goes all the way in, and the lock opens. Now it's a nicely behaved lock, but I just know that it's smirking at me, daring me to lock it around my waist again. Oh no, I'm not that stupid. Back it goes.
Old 05-11-11, 06:48 PM
monster

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Few drops of lube in the keyhole should help also, never turn the key until it is fully inserted or you can mess up the cylinders and cause the lock to freeze up.
Old 05-11-11, 06:56 PM
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This stuff did wonders for my home lock.
Old 05-11-11, 09:50 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using my Kryptonite lock for close to 3 years without issues. Sometimes it almost sticks if the key's not in all the way, but if you put the key in all the way and don't force it, it always works fine. Many people use Kryptonite locks successfully without issues. Sorry you had a lemon, but for the most part, they're not POS locks.
Old 05-12-11, 04:28 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bhop
I've been using my Kryptonite lock for close to 3 years without issues. Sometimes it almost sticks if the key's not in all the way, but if you put the key in all the way and don't force it, it always works fine. Many people use Kryptonite locks successfully without issues. Sorry you had a lemon, but for the most part, they're not POS locks.
I knew that the key hadn't gone all the way in as soon as I inserted it. I pulled it out and tried again. And again. What do you do then? I'm not the only one to have this problem though it's hard to find on internet because of the Bic Pen disaster. I have another Kryptonite lock (a U-Lock) and, like Unterhausen, have had it come close to not working a few times. But it always did eventually. Hopefully this one is just a lemon. I'll see what the Krytonite folks say.
Old 05-12-11, 05:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I call an POS on that one. First, Kryptonite lock are expensive and thought of as a high end locks, there should be no need whatsoever to have to force the key in in order to make it work. My Trelock U-lock works flawlessly from the first day I've had it. No key forcing or problems unlocking, just put the key in, turn lightly, and it opens. Every time. So yeah, I would expect something like that from a no name lock, but if it is Kryptonite, I expect it to work flawlessly, anything less, in my book it's a POS.
Old 05-12-11, 08:09 AM

Bikes: Cannondale T2000, Dean el Diente

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dgk02
I've had my Kryptonite Evolution Series4 lock and chain for maybe 6 months and used it exaxtly once.
Originally Posted by whitecat
I would expect something like that from a no name lock, but if it is Kryptonite, I expect it to work flawlessly, anything less, in my book it's a POS.
Even the best stuff needs some maintenance. If it was unused for 6 months, and there happened to be some moisture in it, I can imagine there was some corrosion that caused it to stiffen up. Some WD-40 and a little patience should do the trick.

Also, even my well-oiled Kryptonite sometimes takes some fiddling with the key to get all the plates lined up. Not a big deal since they all move freely, but if one of them was a bit rusty I can imagine ending up with a chain as a fashion accessory.
Old 05-12-11, 08:38 AM
Young Fred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same as above, the most my locks have ever needed if one of the plates wasn't lined up was for me to put the key in as far as it could go, and turn until it could go in further. I vote operator error.
Old 05-12-11, 09:44 AM

Bikes: Pake Track; Bianchi XL EV2 El Reparto Corse, Kona Jake the Snake

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have never had any issues with any of my Krypto locks. I have 3 different ones. From the sounds of it, it sounds like your tumbler plates inside of the lock got misaligned when you pulled the key out or were riding. Usually inserting the key and slowly twisting them back and forth to line them up is all it takes as you insert the key. Jamming the key in there as hard as you can will get you nowhere. It is more about inserting/removing the key correctly to align the plates. This is very common with these locks and actually a security feature.

+1 on operator error.
Old 05-12-11, 10:52 AM

Bikes: 2010 GT Tachyon 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I bought one of the cheaper Kryptonites, and I have similar problems with it all the time. It's never come down to not being able to unlock it, but I have gone through my entire store of curse words before it has opened. And I can curse in English, Hindi, Tamil, and Bengali.
Qu'vatlh ghuy'cha baQa!
Old 05-12-11, 12:16 PM
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
"It looks like the last - plate? - isn't aligned correctly"

This often happens with my Kryponite and also my Onguard both with similar flats keys. I can usually jingle it until the key is fully inserted. Instead of a paper clip, use the key. Look inside to get an idea about how it's misaligned then turn the key a little in that direction until it slides down. Before you've used the lock many times, it tricky. With practice you learn not to turn the key until it's fully inserted and more importantly you learn how to tell if it's fully inserted. Learn how it looks when the key is all the way in and remember that. The plates get finicky if you turn most of them, but not the last one.Good luck!

Kryptonite will probably replace if you cannot fix yourself. Excellent customer service.

Last edited by qmsdc15; 05-12-11 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-12-11, 12:19 PM
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dgk02
I may need to learn a new language since I've used up all the words that I know.

So I took the key, shoved it in as hard as I could (not caring if I break it off in the lock) and turn it as hard as I can. The key goes all the way in, and the lock opens. Now it's a nicely behaved lock, but I just know that it's smirking at me, daring me to lock it around my waist again. Oh no, I'm not that stupid. Back it goes.
Oops, sorry I replied before reading the thread. It's a learning curve with these locks, not very user friendly.
Old 05-12-11, 12:22 PM
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 1fluffhead
...actually a security feature.
Prevents the owner from stealing his own bike.
Old 05-12-11, 01:05 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by qmsdc15
"It looks like the last - plate? - isn't aligned correctly"

This often happens with my Kryponite and also my Onguard both with similar flats keys. I can usually jingle it until the key is fully inserted. Instead of a paper clip, use the key. Look inside to get an idea about how it's misaligned then turn the key a little in that direction until it slides down. Before you've used the lock many times, it tricky. With practice you learn not to turn the key until it's fully inserted and more importantly you learn how to tell if it's fully inserted. Learn how it looks when the key is all the way in and remember that. The plates get finicky if you turn most of them, but not the last one.Good luck!

Kryptonite will probably replace if you cannot fix yourself. Excellent customer service.
I'd vote for operator error also, except that I knew that the last plate wasn't aligned correctly. I just couldn't gently coax it into position. It was at right angles to the other ones. I tried gently turning. I tried jiggling it. I tried moving it side to side. I would have tried it upside down but I would have had to stand on my head. There was no moisture in the lock; it was sitting in my office the whole time. No rust. Like almost everyone else in this thread, I've had problems with plate alignment a few times with another lock and managed to right it. This one just wasn't righting. And, Kryptonite has not responded to my email as of yet. And it wasn't an angry email; I just told them what happened and asked for an explanation of what went wrong.
Old 05-12-11, 01:35 PM
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I didn't vote for operator error, after posting I read the thread and see although you hadn't used this lock, you are experienced with the locks and this problem. i guess you just went a little too far, 'right angles' at which point maybe it becomes a more difficult problem. You forced the key in though. You told the lock who's boss and it's learned it's lesson!
Old 05-13-11, 08:28 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
But do I dare trust it again? That was very awkward. I spoke to a nice person at Kryptonite who suggested using a small screwdriver to align the plate. She also said to send the lock back and get a replacement so that's what I'll do. There must be something a bit odd about the lock if the plate could turn so much just from biking that I couldn't get it back in position.
Old 05-13-11, 08:35 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
When you service a lock cylinder use graphite lube... any oil based lube will attract dirt and dust and will cause problems down the road.

In a pinch, WD40 will unstick a lock but it is not what you want to use on a regular basis.

MY krpto has been been a very reliable and smooth running lock for 3 years and it gets used daily and was my lock when I worked as a messenger... this meant it was getting cycled about 100 times a day. You do have to make sure the key is aligned and mis-alignment of the key is probably the biggest problem people have with Krypto locks.

If it really is defective I'd get another... Kryptonite's service is very good and they make a good product.
Old 05-13-11, 10:37 AM
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Maybe the normal jolts and jars from riding coupled with the tension on the lock from your belly caused something to shift and then jam. I don't think I'd ever lock myself up with heavy chain, but a lot of people are into that sort of thing.

Last edited by qmsdc15; 05-13-11 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-13-11, 11:47 AM

Bikes: 2007 Schwinn Le Tour

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my response to the problem. It's a small design imperfect that can be easily overcome.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...Lock-thread%29

Last edited by earthworm94; 05-14-11 at 01:15 AM.
Old 05-13-11, 12:08 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Just Got an Abus folding link lock, a lot easier to carry, as It has a pouch holder
to strap or use braze on fittings for waterbottle to mount it.

will give away the D style Kryptonite, [China made now, of course ]
to a lockless friend.
mine came with the exchange program
due to the Bic Pen can pick them, scare.

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-13-11 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-13-11, 01:45 PM

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Then you need to work on creative and unusual combinations of the words you do know. Under the right set of circumstances, I can swear like a sailor with Tourette Syndrome.
Old 05-14-11, 12:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I was thinking about buying a NY U-lock, but now after reading this many instances of having problems with their key design, I will not buy it. Instead it will be an Abus or Trelock top of the line. I simply find unacceptable for a high end very expensive lock to have such problems. Abus or Trelocks that I used and tried never had any problems like that. And those were mid-line products.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.