Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Another biggie here.....needs some advice.

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-11, 01:56 PM

Bikes: Raliegh M-50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a large guy and needs to lose weight. My current bike is a Raliegh M-50 that I bought years ago. I am disabled and have heart disease and unsure how far I can ride any more. I do plan on going and starting out slow. I was advised to excercise and I chose cylcing.Wanting to know if my bike will hold me at 334,and what kind of saddle do you you all use? I'd like to go wider for more comfort. Also,should I invest in a heart monitor or anything. Thanks.

Last edited by MLKATO; 05-13-11 at 02:03 PM. Reason: posted before I was done.
Old 05-13-11, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MLKATO
I'm a large guy and needs to lose weight. My current bike is a Raliegh M-50
what question do you have?

Congrats on starting up. Just keep biking... Thats what I tell myself anyways...
Old 05-13-11, 02:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You must have answered before I finished editing! I was wondering about adding a wider saddle and if I should add a heart monitor,and the big one if my bike will hold me. Thanks
Old 05-13-11, 03:44 PM

Bikes: Trek 2300, Cannondale ??, Univega Hyrid

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wider saddles are not necessarily more comfortable. It all depends where the sit bones are. I outweigh you and use a brooks b17, which is shaped like a road bike saddle.

What kind of shape are the wheels in? How many spokes do they have ? If the bike has been sitting in the garage i'd take it in for a tuneup and have them retention the spokes if the count is good.

Good for you on getting out there riding!
Old 05-13-11, 04:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is in the shop as I type getting tuned and other things done to it. The bike looks like it has plenty of spokes,as it was desinged for taking a lot of abuse. I always heard that a wider saddle will be more comfortable to those of us with wider "saddles".
Old 05-13-11, 04:53 PM

Bikes: Norco VFR D3, CCM Cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the wider saddle thing is a misconception. If you ride it for a few weeks and find the saddle's uncomfortable, then think about getting a new one. But don't let the first couple of rides decide it for you. You have to break in your butt. If you DO decide to get a new saddle, go to a store that sells Specialized bikes - they should have the "ass-o-meter" that will let you determine which width is right for you.

Regarding the heart rate monitor, it might not be a bad idea since you have heart problems. You could set it to warn you if your heart rate passes a certain level, so you wouldn't over-exert yourself. But if you feel like you could control that well enough on your own, it might not be worth it.
Old 05-13-11, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I like having a heart rate monitor, but I don't wear it for every ride ... which goes to show how useful it is. If you have heart issues, it might do you more good than it does me. But in general, it's a good tool to have, if you can afford one easily.

Wider saddles aren't always more comfy - in fact, it can be quite the opposite. But it's a personal thing. Your best bet is to try a few. Will your local bike shop let you return things if they don't work out? Maybe they have a demo saddle program?

The bike itself won't a problem at your weight, even with a backpack full of water. The wheels might, though. Lots of spokes is generally a good sign.
Old 05-13-11, 05:25 PM
A square going nowhere

Bikes: CAAD 8 & CAAD 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a heart problem too, or had depending on how you look at it. I don't ride with a heart monitor though, I've considered getting one but It's not that big a deal for me. I know when I'm pushing myself, that is when I usually push a little harder. A wide saddle will be plenty comfortable if you're riding short distances at a slow pace. Once you start riding further, faster, it may/will give you saddle sores. If you plan on taking it easy at first it should do you well, but eventually you are going to need a saddle that suits your needs better.
Old 05-13-11, 05:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all,you answered my questions!
Old 05-13-11, 05:57 PM

Bikes: Giant Revel 2 & Loco Fixie "The Marley"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another big guy here who would definitely recommend the Brooks B-17. I had that one my road bike years ago.
Old 05-13-11, 06:11 PM

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you rode it before you should be able to use the same saddle. While the width of your butt may be bigger, your sit bones shouldn't have changed width... It should be just a matter of taking time to get your soft tissue toughened up. Get some bike shorts with the padded crotch and ride.
Old 05-13-11, 10:56 PM
One more step forward...

Bikes: 26" Schwinn Cruiser/ now wishing I'd bought mountain or hybrid bike.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just installed a schwinn noseless saddle on my bike. It's a cheap saddle but very comfortable and I ride 10 miles every day if weather lets me and love the saddle. Never gotten sores from it.
Old 05-14-11, 04:40 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
If I may ask, what is the nature of your disability? How does it affect your riding, if at all?