Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Brooks B17

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-11, 06:20 PM
this side up

Bikes: Nothing.. last bike stolen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brooks B17

I know this isn't exactly the most appropriate thread for this forum but the appraisals seem to be the closest fitting.

I'm looking at getting a used Brooks. He's willing to part with it for $60 but if you check out the pictures the underside looks as if it's been wet. Could this be from sweat or is it most likely from rain? The guy who's selling it says he got it off a bike he picked up so he's not the original owner of it.

I know I would check for things like dryness, mold and general sagging type issues but beyond that I was just curious to see what you guys thought, especially given the price.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/6273225...n/photostream/
Old 05-17-11, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Well, I'm a Brooks fan and I have brand new ones and older, vintage Brooks, so I'll give my opinion. There is nothing structurally wrong with that saddle. The "wet" marks, indicate it was wet at least once. No big deal. Didn't hurt anything. I think the price is a touch high, even for Chicago market. Velomine will sell a new one for somewhere around $10.00 higher than that. They would have to charge shipping unless you can pick up in Springfield, IL.

Personally, I bought one almost identical but without the rash on the back, for $40.00. Looks to me like the owner had a flat tire and turned the bike upside down and the leather was rubbed raw in the back. This is merely cosmetic, but still matters.

See if the owner will take $40 or $50 and see what happens. I'm staring at a Brooks Professional right now that I put on a fixed gear bike I just bought yesterday. It was abused, has some cracks in the leather on the rear 1/3 of the saddle, but it still rides wonderfully!

Take care!
Old 05-17-11, 07:29 PM

P.S. I reread your post. Since the person got if off of a bike that he picked up indicates he should be willing to deal.
Old 05-17-11, 07:59 PM
this side up

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I would have thought he would be ready to deal a bit more. I offered him $55 and he wanted $60
Old 05-17-11, 08:00 PM
this side up

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I'll wait and get the electric blue brand new.. it would match my schwinn premis perfectly.
Old 05-18-11, 06:10 AM

The blue is cool. Pretty dark blue though. Looks almost black in low light and from a distance. But when you see it up close in daylight, it is a very pretty shade.
Old 05-18-11, 08:51 AM
car guy, recovering

Bikes: Olympia Competizione & Special Piuma, Frejus track circa 1958, Dahon Helios, many others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
$60 isn't a great price, though not outrageous. I just picked up a professional with the big copper rivets in similar (marginally worse, cosmetically) condition for $60.
Old 05-18-11, 01:47 PM
Papa Wheelie

Bikes: Jamis Aurora '02; Takara Medalist (650B)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
50 bucks is my average price for used Brooks (B-17, Champion flyer, B-17 Specials)
if you want a saddle but don't want to pay 60 bucks, i'd wait... but if you want the saddle, 10 bucks is like... whatever.
Old 05-18-11, 03:40 PM

Bikes: Too many to count alway changing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want a new brooks saddle... I might be able to get you a good deal on that electric blue one if they have it in stock... I have bunch of new brooks saddle I'm selling but didn't get any in the electric blue... email me at septacycles@gmail.com
Old 05-18-11, 03:58 PM

Bikes: It's a SICKNESS!

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by megarot
I think I'll wait and get the electric blue brand new.. it would match my schwinn premis perfectly.

How do you like the bike?

Your only hope is reciting 10 hail campagnolos to our lady of the duraace.

I'm happy to say that I own more Steel then Carbon. My Stable! ---> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmVZBep7
Old 05-19-11, 11:50 AM
this side up

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love the Premis! I'm going to take it out for another ride after work today. I love the original saddle that's on it but I just don't think it's quite comfortable enough for a century ride, which is my goal for this year. I'll be riding a lot more and I signed up for a century ride in September so I need to be ready for it.
Old 05-22-11, 06:48 PM
SpeedDemon

Bikes: K2 Cheyenne / Peugeot UO8 / GT Mach-One/ GT Interceptor/ Madwagon Cruiser/Many-Many Wheelie Schwinns

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
$60 for that seat would be a steal in my hometown market (Houston). I can't touch a used Brooks that doesn't need to spend a week in neatsfoot oil for less than $75
Old 05-22-11, 10:58 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by e.maguran
$60 for that seat would be a steal in my hometown market (Houston). I can't touch a used Brooks that doesn't need to spend a week in neatsfoot oil for less than $75
That's really strange. I got my B17 new (antique brown, black steel rails) for about that price from a reputable dealer. If you go over a modest minimum total purchase, they even offer free shipping. So, why would anyone pay the same amount for a used Brooks that requires "a week in neatsfoot oil"?