Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

25c tire recommendations

Old 05-22-11, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
25c tire recommendations

What tires run wide/ are good for clydes? Other than michelin
Old 05-23-11, 12:22 AM

Bikes: TREK 5500, Surly CrossCheck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run Continental Gatorskins...Never ever a problem!
Old 05-23-11, 12:52 AM

Bikes: Kestrel Talon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess the first question is what do you want out of a tire/what kind of riding do you do?

For me, the Conti GP4000 has been really good. I really enjoyed the Open Corsas I had on for a while, but they just aren't very durable. Right now I'm running Michelin Pro Optimums - but you don't want to hear about those! They run larger than the Contis and the Vittorias, and so far have been quite durable. For the riding I'm doing (centuries up to an occasional double century) these tires are working really well.

JB
Old 05-23-11, 06:37 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I used to go after specific tires for their various purported benefits (durability, design, features, etc.), but that was a long time ago. I've had Avocets, Specialized, a fair number of Panaracers, Vittorias (when I rode tubulars), you name it. But for the last 30 years or so I've just gotten whatever's on sale at the size I want. I haven't had any problems with any of them. Right now I have some old Contis on the Trek, Bontragers on the Fisher, and my wife has Serfas on her Panasonic.
Old 05-28-11, 01:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigB
I used to go after specific tires for their various purported benefits (durability, design, features, etc.), but that was a long time ago. I've had Avocets, Specialized, a fair number of Panaracers, Vittorias (when I rode tubulars), you name it. But for the last 30 years or so I've just gotten whatever's on sale at the size I want. I haven't had any problems with any of them. Right now I have some old Contis on the Trek, Bontragers on the Fisher, and my wife has Serfas on her Panasonic.
One just needs to be aware of what "size" they're actually buying. I have a pair of 28c Serfas Secas and they're actually narrower than the 25c Conti GP 4000 I have on another bike. I knew the Serfas were narrow, but if I had thought they actually were a 28c I would have been pretty upset with the purchase.
Old 05-28-11, 03:14 PM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dehoff
One just needs to be aware of what "size" they're actually buying. I have a pair of 28c Serfas Secas and they're actually narrower than the 25c Conti GP 4000 I have on another bike. I knew the Serfas were narrow, but if I had thought they actually were a 28c I would have been pretty upset with the purchase.
Absolutely. Sizing consistency among tire manufacturers is about as bad as it is with clothing makers.
Old 05-28-11, 03:35 PM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigB
Absolutely. Sizing consistency among tire manufacturers is about as bad as it is with clothing makers.
It would be somewhat OK (not acceptable, though) if it were only for racing tires, which is where all this started (AFAIK). Manufacturers wanted to have the lightest tire at a listed size, so they were over-marking tires: A 24 marked as a 25, etc. Now it seems that's the standard, even for tires where weight doesn't matter for squat, like a puncture resistant commuter/touring 35mm that actually ends up at 32mm on the rim. Ooooh, it's 25g lighter than the other guy's tires. Big whoop.

And let's not get started with clothiers and arbitrary measurements. An inch isn't an inch when talking about clothing these days...
Old 07-06-14, 09:47 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by needawheel
have you compared Schwalbe DD to pro 4 endurance? how many miles/ flats did you get on them?
Didn't keep count, but had many more with Schwalbe DD than with PRO4 Endurance. So many that I would not buy them again. This is our tandem experience. YMMV.

On my singles, I still ride Vredestein Tricomp, just because I have a pile of them, and don't flat much on them, though they are one of the most delicate tires on offer. Tandems are really hard on tires because of the doubled weight per tire. All the same, if you're touring or just hate flats, the PRO4 E tires are hard to beat. Some folks race on them because the roll and handle so well. A 25mm model will measure about 27.5mm after a couple weeks of inflation to 110 psi. I expect the 23mm will stretch, too, but I have no experience with them.

BF says you may not receive PMs for some reason.
Old 07-06-14, 10:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok, thanks.
Old 07-06-14, 11:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are upsides though. Some 28s fit on my road bike. Others don't, but they fit on my cross bike. I usually just buy 28s and see which bike they fit.
Old 07-07-14, 06:52 PM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Sirrus Sport, 2014 Felt Z5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CalPastor
I run Continental Gatorskins...Never ever a problem!
+1
Old 07-07-14, 09:02 PM
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
I run all of these with no issues, about $18-$28 per tire.

Panaracer Pasela TG
Panaracer Pasela
Vittorio Rubino
Vittorio Zaffiro
Serfas Seca
Continental Ultra Sport
Old 07-07-14, 10:52 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
+1 on the Conti Gatorskins or GS hardshells.
Old 07-07-14, 11:02 PM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Why are you excluding Michelin? I was going to say pro4 service course, but now I won't.

I had GP4000S for a while but I like the pro4 better.

Are you looking for traction? Nice ride? Long lasting? Puncture resistance? Fill in the blanks and you'll get better recommendations.
Old 07-07-14, 11:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for durability, flat-resistance. Looking for 2nd opinion. Had Michelin Krylion. People mentioned Maxxis "Re-Fuse"? maybe Schwalbe?
Old 07-08-14, 03:54 AM

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Why are you excluding Michelin? I was going to say pro4 service course, but now I won't.
'scuse me?
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 07-08-14, 07:04 AM

Bikes: Fuji, Ridley, Bianchi, Charge

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bontrager AW2 Hard-Case Lite
-1 Continental Gatorskin
Old 07-08-14, 07:48 AM
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

I had GP4000S for a while but I like the pro4 better.

Are you looking for traction? Nice ride? Long lasting? Puncture resistance? Fill in the blanks and you'll get better recommendations.
TH,

What about the Pro4 do you like better, other than price? I notice on ProBikeKit's site there is two offerings, one has "Endurance" in the title. Which do you use?
Old 07-08-14, 08:03 AM

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bbeasley
TH,

What about the Pro4 do you like better, other than price? I notice on ProBikeKit's site there is two offerings, one has "Endurance" in the title. Which do you use?
Ok, I'm not TH, I'm RT, but I'll pipe in anyway. Of the 3 in my family, I'm on 25 (27) PRO4 Service Course, FB69 is on 23 GP4's, and my other son is on 23's PRO4 Endurance. the GP4 (black) rubber feels more grippy to my thumb. All 3 tires are giving very nice rides. FB69 likes the GP4 (black) that this is his second set, from wearing out the first set. We are all about the same weight (165 - 180...maybe for the boys, but they are tall), 2 alu bikes and 1 carbon bike. I wouldn't sweat any of those 3 tires, even after obsessing about them back in Feb.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 07-08-14, 08:28 AM

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by needawheel2
Looking for durability, flat-resistance. Looking for 2nd opinion. Had Michelin Krylion. People mentioned Maxxis "Re-Fuse"? maybe Schwalbe?
The ReFuse is a good tire, but it's not as durable as the Gatorskin. IMO, nothing beats Continental tires in the durability category. Now, you give up some ride quality using some tires like Gators, but I've never had a tire that lasted as long -- even with the sidewall issues they can develop after a few thousand miles.
Old 07-08-14, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the Conti Gatorskins
I used these to replace my big fat 1.95 tires on my wife and my bike. But I suspect any skinnier tire would ride so much better. But I got this recommendation from a friend that rides a lot.
Old 07-08-14, 09:04 AM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by needawheel2
Check into the gatorskins then. They're stiffer riding than some of the other options listed above but they'll certainly get durability & flat resistance that you want.

Originally Posted by bbeasley
TH,

Well, I haven't used THAT many tires in the last few years... had Pro3 service course and liked them (the way they rode) but they were kind of frail and I went through tires. Switched to GP4000S, and frankly, had durability problems with them as well, but not as bad as the Pro3. I have the Pro4 service course tires now (I can't remember why I didn't get the endurance model) and they seem to be lasting quite well for me so far. I tend to buy tires in bunches from PBK or something, so the price wasn't bad and I'll be on Pro4 for a while as a result.
Old 07-08-14, 04:13 PM

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by cafzali
but I've never had a tire that lasted as long -- even with the sidewall issues they can develop after a few thousand miles.

More like 300 miles with mine. Switched to armadillo so far so good.
Old 07-08-14, 07:13 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
I ride Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick on my SuperSix and the Bontrager AW2 on my Cross Rip...both 700-25. While I like the Mich Pro 4's.......PITA to mount as most Michelin tires are.

Old 07-09-14, 12:22 PM

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've got ~3200 miles on a Marathon plus in back and never a flat.
Thread looks nearly new!

They are 700c 38's I run 80-90 lbs...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.