Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

where to buy pannier clips

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-11, 07:51 AM
30mi/day commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

anyone know where to buy pannier clips? MEC used to sell them but they dont anymore.
Im talking about the plasticy ones that clip onto the rack not just metal hooks.
Old 05-24-11, 08:04 AM
More Energy than Sense

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would these work for you:

https://www.bikebagshop.com/lone-peak...et-p-1675.html
Old 05-24-11, 01:09 PM
30mi/day commuter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whoa i have no idea how those would work.
I guess to put things in context i would like to make some kitty litter panniers but I dont want to use hooks i want them to clip on somehow.
Old 05-24-11, 01:14 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
many brands use clips just for their stuff, there are not really universal ones.

If you are kludging plastic buckets , buy spare parts for one of the brands..

Ortlieb sells spare parts, Klick Fix another German source, does too .

you could use metal P clips, rubber coated, leave them on the bike,
unscrew the bolts when you want to take them off

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-24-11 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-24-11, 01:57 PM
Slow Rider

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recommend you use the Axiom hook kit:

https://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...e.aspx?sc=FRGL

It is a metal hook, which you don't want, but it comes with the posi-lock that rotates against the rack to hold panniers in place. It works very well, is durable, and inexpensive.

Here is a relevant thread on them:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ons-welcome%29

The Lone Peak hooks also look good, and easy to attach to plastic buckets. They have one hold through which you insert a bolt and nut.
Old 05-24-11, 08:31 PM
weirdo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chico1st
whoa i have no idea how those would work.
THey aren`t as complicated as that picture suggests. You just set the hook part over the bar the same way as you would with a plain hook, then rotate that little lever, which closes the hook around the bottom. No springs or anything- they just stay closed by friction and work very well. But as Bwgride commented, they only have one small mounting olt each. For big panniers like your kitty liter buckets, you might be better off with something stouter.
Old 05-24-11, 08:41 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Trick is, like Ortlieb, there is a strap, when you pull up on it,
connecting the 2 hooks,
there is a closure latch that opens, and they come off, easily.
on the bike the latch is closed, so no bounce off.
Old 05-24-11, 08:46 PM

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I used a slightly bent aluminium gutter hanger from Home Depot with felt liners inside to eliminate rattle and three bungie cords to secure my first set of kitty litter panniers with great success. Total cost under $5.

I just finished upgrading to what you are looking for by buying a full set of Ortlieb attachment hardware, but I warn you, it was about $60 plus $15 for shipping which is really outrageous, but does make the best panniers available at any price. We use the pails for seats when we are in camp and I have them set up so the tops are level with the rack so I have a giant flat space on top. I have a set of Ortlieb rear rollers too, but I now prefer these litter pails instead. Just was not ready to canibalize my rear rollers for parts so I bought new hardware (https://www.ortliebusa.com/cartgenie/...st.asp?scat=21). I tried buying several brands of other pannier mounting hardware but found it either unavailable or more expensive.

You are on to the best solution for loaded touring!

Good luck
Old 05-24-11, 08:59 PM

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

BTW, those Lone Peak and KlikFix (https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/c...ooks-09-34238/) mounts look like they might work well too. And they are a lot cheaper than the Ortlieb parts. The Ortlieb stuff does have the advantage that once you mount the rail you can readjust them easily to switch to a different bike or rack. I ordered the short QL-1 mounting bar and hooks and the lower mounting clip to keep them from flopping too much. If I had seen the KlikFix mounts first, I would have bought those (they are the same as used on the REI store brand bags and seem pretty rugged).

Last edited by dwmckee; 05-24-11 at 09:08 PM. Reason: update
Old 05-24-11, 09:24 PM

Darn, these Vaude clips look even better that the Lone Peak or KlikFix clips - https://www.bikebagshop.com/vaude-qmr...ng-p-2067.html Where was all of this stuff before I dropped $60 with Ortlieb? I should have checked with you guys earlier!

But hey, regardless of the clips or how much you spend, litter pails are the best panniers available at any price! (I use ones with the hinged lid that snaps down nicely). I just put white adhesive shelf paper (contact paper) on mine so I am not advertising Tidy Cats all over the place...

Last edited by dwmckee; 05-24-11 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Added info