Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Touring fork for 26"/threadless/eyelets?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-11, 03:51 PM

Bikes: ugly touring rig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I'm looking for what one would think would be a common component, but one that I can't find anywhere. Where can I find a steel 26" threadless fork (EDIT: 1 1/8") with eyelets at the bottom and halfway down, for a front rack? I could get a surly LHT fork, but that's really expensive. I'm amazed that these aren't everywhere; surely it's not that hard for the manufacturer to add a couple drilling in the fork?

What also blows my mind is that the only ones I can find (apart from the LHT) are suspension-corrected, which seems to mean that there's more of a market for turning suspension mountain bikes into touring rides than rigid mountain bikes. Rigid-fork mountain bikes seem like the obvious choice for touring, in my mind.

Last edited by GetOutOfNJ; 05-24-11 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-25-11, 12:11 PM

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/700c-1-1-...ack-prod15589/

There's that, but it doesn't have cantilever bosses, only rack ones.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/

These guys do touring-specific parts, you could email them and ask about forks, you might find they can order something for you.

Also, the Carrera Subway has a fork with all the fittings you want, and it would probably be cheaper than the LHT one. Halfords might be persuaded to sell you one without the accompanying Carrera, and despite the reputation Halfords bikes have, it's a decent fork, made of 4130 cromoly steel.

Hope this helps.