Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Newer Dual Pivot brakes on C&V frames

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-11, 11:19 AM
Oh Snap, not again...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been thinking of getting some new brakes for my Miyata, and I like the modern dual pivot designs. Pretty much everything out there though has the recessed mounting bolts though. I am not going to drill out the rear bridge or fork in hopes of making this work. The only set i've seen with the traditional nut style mount is a set of Tektro's. Does anyone know of other makes that could work.
Old 05-25-11, 11:26 AM
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Ah.....I'm in the same boat. I got some Tektro long reach with the recessed bolts. Then, I found Tektro offered some with the nutted style. Oh well....I got a good deal on the long reach. And, I've already got the fork crown drilled, anyway.

If anyone was willing to supply a pic or two of their vintage frame with modern dual pivots, that' be swell.....
Old 05-25-11, 11:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A half moon washer, and a couple of flat washers behind that should make any set of modern dual pivots work on an older fork. You can also cut down the bolt if it's still too long.
Old 05-25-11, 11:35 AM
Oh Snap, not again...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I seem to be under the impression that the mounting bolt for the recessed calipers are shorter than the traditional nut mount (I haven't actually measured any.) By the time I put the half-moon washers on there would not be any exposed threads to get a bolt on?
Old 05-25-11, 11:39 AM
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

I don't think that's the problem, dude. He just doesn't want to drill on the frame, but would like to use dual pivots.
Old 05-25-11, 11:42 AM

Bikes: 84' Ciocc, 79' Shogun 1000, 76' KHS Gran Sport, 96' Schwinn Super Sport,

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry about taking a picture in the dark but this is the best I could do. The squarish part holds a valve adapter, don't know what it's called but I didn't have to drill my frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
002.jpg (91.0 KB, 103 views)
Old 05-25-11, 11:43 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
As I recall, Sheldon suggested that a front brake designed for recessed mounting would work for the rear in a nutted configuration (with the appropriate washers etc added)... If that is the case, it solves half of your problem.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-25-11, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I wouldn't look much further than Tektro. Their levers and calipers work very, very well and are under priced. Find the reach you need and then buy the nutted version.
Old 05-25-11, 01:37 PM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
I wouldn't look much further than Tektro. Their levers and calipers work very, very well and are under priced. Find the reach you need and then buy the nutted version.
I can't say anything about the calipers but I recently put a set of tektro levers on bike to sell it and they were very nice. I think lots of guys here use the nutted ones on their older bikes

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-25-11, 01:43 PM

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
+1
I chose to spend much, much more money on a set of these (mainly to preserve C&V aesthetics). They work VERY well, but not any better than the Tektros.
Old 05-25-11, 02:03 PM
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
This is an '84 with Tektro Dual Pivots (W/ Recessed nuts)

stops on a dime.
Old 05-25-11, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I put newer dual pivots on my Girlfriends Bianchi, they are much nicer. Now her bike is head and shoulders better than mine...
Old 05-25-11, 02:41 PM
Bianchi Goddess

this thread and more so Rccardr's about his Merckx gave an idea. I just got a a, well uh well a new project, and I wanted to use all black. the only decent brakes I found sofar are olde DA nutted and I need recess. I am not a big fan of DP brakes but black Tektros may fill the bill this time around.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-25-11, 02:49 PM
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
just curious, why don't you like Dual Pivots Bianchigirl?
Old 05-25-11, 02:52 PM
Oh Snap, not again...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox

stops on a dime.

Where did you get that seat, it's awful, and those tires and that tape, jeeeeez!

just kidding.

So you drilled out the rear bridge and the fork? I don't really want to do that, but is it not that big of a deal?
Old 05-25-11, 03:16 PM

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts

stops on a dime.
Holy guacamole, that's hot!
Old 05-25-11, 03:34 PM
Bianchi Goddess

just curious, why don't you like Dual Pivots Bianchigirl?
I have no factual reasons to dislike them I guess perhaps it is mostly an aesthetics thing. back when I worked in a shop the shimanos were all that were around and the Campi were just coming out. I guess I never learned to like the looks and perfered the original Chorus Monoplanor style brakes styling.

as for the gain in performance, yes they are great stoppers but, when I first got into cycling big time in late 80s it was trying to race. riding mostly group training rides in pace lines and training races it was almost forbidden to use your brakes. God forbid your brakes squealed!!! anyway in that enviroment I learned to lay off the brakes a bit and not reach for the the second something looks out of place. also in tight packs and pacelines having brakes that "stop on a dime" may be more dangerous than not stopping.

I do have two pair of Campi records, on retired in lieu of the afore mentioned monoplanor style brakes. they work well I guess I just don't go fast enough to need all that stopping power.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 05-25-11 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-25-11, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
I put a pair of the Tektro 559's on my '63 Hetchins. I needed the reach for a frame originally built for 27" wheels and I wanted to go 700c.

I am extremely happy with them. They have good pads, but I added KoolStop dual compounds. It isn't about stopping in a group. It's about stopping when the idiot driver pulls a car out in front of you, or at that stop sign at the bottom of a steep hill. I'm decidedly chubby. I need that stopping power!!!

Plus, I think they look fine. I use them with old style standard Campy levers, but I'll probably use the Tektro levers on the next bike.

All that said, I DO wish that VO would supply a nutted version of the Grand Cru calipers. (If enough people ask, they will. Hint, hint!)
* 1971 Gitane Super Corsa (crashed)
* rebuilt as upright cruiser
1971 Gitane Super Corsa #2 (sweet replacement)
1980 Ritchey Road Touring (The Grail Bike)
1982 Tom Ritchey Everest
(replacing stolen 1981 TR Everest custom)
1982 Tom Ritchey McKinley (touring pickup truck)
1985 ALAN Record (Glued & Screwed. A gift.)
Old 05-25-11, 04:46 PM
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
+1

I'm also hoarding a set of unlabeled Shimano A550 nutted dual pivot calipers. I think I may have purchased the last new set ever produced. You can also find earlier versions labeled RX-100.
Old 05-25-11, 05:08 PM

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
OP...I know you have stated you do not want to drill anything out...but I have done this twice and would like to share my experience, which is not as scary as it sound
s
first the the only place you need to drill out is the front fork. and then only the rear hole on the front fork. The amount of material removed is very small.... a few shavings. You then put the rear brake on the front and attache using an extra long bolt.

you then use the front brake on the rear and find a nut to fit. I had one shop tell me that the pull is different for the dual pivot, so I shouldn't use my old levers, but I didn't have any problems in that area....ymmv

https://sheldonbrown.com/calipers.html#recessed

Last edited by squirtdad; 05-25-11 at 05:59 PM. Reason: whole = complete, hole= nothing there
Old 05-25-11, 05:26 PM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Where may one buy these nutted Tektro brakes?
Old 05-25-11, 05:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i know why i personally don't like dual pivots-- they almost always feel mushy, and while they stop okay.. they just don't feel like the brakes i had on bikes during the 80's. look for an old set of dia compe g's or something comparable, spend a few bucks, set 'em tight with a classic pair of DC levers, and be done with it. cheap and feel great.

i still contend that single pivots, while maybe marginally fussier-- have twice the spring power, and snap like no dualies i've ever felt.
Old 05-25-11, 05:49 PM
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
OP...I know you have stated you do not want to drill anything out...but I have done this twice and would like to share my experience, which is not as scary as it sound

first the the only place you need to drill out is the front fork. and then only the rear whole. The amount of material removed is vers small.... a few shavings. You then put the rear brake on the front and attache using an extra long bolt.

you then use the front brake on the rear and find a nut to fit. I had one shop tell me that the pull is different for the dual pivot, so I shouldn't use my old levers, but I didn't have any problems in that area....ymmv

https://sheldonbrown.com/calipers.html#recessed

^^This.

S. J. Perelman
Old 05-25-11, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by shorthanded

i still contend that single pivots, while maybe marginally fussier-- have twice the spring power
Yeah... not even close. Take the 600 tri color brakes for example, I've had the single pivots and dual pivots, with the same pads, and the dual pivot ones are significantly better.

Stuff like the tektros will be better than any single pivot brakes, and the tektros are mediocre dual pivot brakes (sorry but they are). Some of the better dual pivot brakes are amazingly powerful compared to vintage brakes.
Old 05-25-11, 07:06 PM
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by bbattle
Where may one buy these nutted Tektro brakes?
T'was either VO or Rivendell where I saw them. I'm thinking VO, more likely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.