Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Have any of you guys tried the Schwinn no pressure saddle?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 05-29-11, 08:26 PM

Bikes: Raliegh M-50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just curious. Sure does look comfortable,a little wide in the saddle and no horn to prevent smashing the pelvic and groin areas. I'm considering getting one but I haven't heard any reveiws. Good idea for the seat?
Old 05-29-11, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its an interesting seat:

https://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-No-Pre.../dp/B000DZGLVY

I would be interested in opinions too. Its very economically priced. I need to get rid of my Bontrager seat on my Trek 7.3. Any thing over 15 miles and my buns are on fire. I usually go the Brooks route but I need a seat that does not need care - keep dry, dubbbing etc as my Trek is a simple knockaround/commuter bike and I also dont want to spend $80+.
Old 05-29-11, 08:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen a spilt level seat with the same concepts,but it was going for $70 or more.At $16.00 I guess you could add a gel saddle that you can modify to fit it.
Old 05-29-11, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Fine for a tractor seat ...

Old 05-29-11, 09:25 PM

Bikes: 2009 Rocky Mountain RC30 D

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MLKATO
Just curious. Sure does look comfortable,a little wide in the saddle and no horn to prevent smashing the pelvic and groin areas. I'm considering getting one but I haven't heard any reveiws. Good idea for the seat?
These types of seats (general shape) are not that great. You will find that the underside of your upper thighs will be binding against the edge of the seat during each peddle stroke.
A lot of people end up angling the front downwards to compensate for this and this leads to other problems, like constantly sliding forward off the seat. You are right to think that they will indeed alleviate the pressure on the areas you mention, but, you shouldn't have to trade one evil for another, imo.

If you only plan on riding periodically and not for any great lengths, then the seat would probably be okay for you. Around the block or the neighbourhood type of thing. If you are more serious about biking than that, there are better choices out there.
Old 05-29-11, 09:32 PM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc, Specialized Roubaix Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These types of seats (general shape) are not that great. You will find that the underside of your upper thighs will be binding against the edge of the seat during each peddle stroke.
My mom is wanting one for her bike, she thinks it will be great. I agree with Seve, I feel your thighs would bind and cause other issues trying to adjust it. I could be wrong, any reviews out there?
Old 05-29-11, 09:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only bike I could see this working reasonably well on is something like the Electra Townie or other similar semi-recumbent bike. When you are kicked back in a relaxed position like such bikes provide, it would seem less likely that you would get the rubbing on the backs of the thighs or slipping forward off the saddle. The beauty of a traditionally shaped saddle is that it provides something for you to clamp between your legs or thighs.

The other thing I don't like about this type of saddle is that it forces you to sit on the soft, fleshy part of the hind end which is the worst place to try and support your entire body's weight. Our butts were just not designed for such sitting. If we were intended to be able to sit for such long periods of time on irregularly shaped objects, we would have a huge, blue and red thick, tough, and fleshy pad on our butts much like a baboon. I seriously think that such gimmicks as this seat are an answer to a problem that didn't need to exist.
Old 05-30-11, 07:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which is why I don't run off and make purchases any more.Thanks for the replies. Another question,what about the split seat with no horn? It's designed for performence and comfort as well.
Old 05-30-11, 07:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which is why I don't run off and make purchases any more.Thanks for the replies. Another question,what about the split seat with no horn? It's designed for performence and comfort as well.
See my comments above. I think a split seat with no nose or horn as you call it would be pretty much the same thing. Most traditional saddles that are split to avoid pressure on the groin area which is typically have the split up in the nose of the saddle where such pressure is located.
Old 05-30-11, 07:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another one that looks much better,(and pricier!) is the ISM Ergonomical saddle,built for touring and comfort as well is real high on my list right now.It is medically tested,and looks really,really comfortable.This saddle is one I can see myself getting,especially since I'm not into jumping or doing any stunts on a mountain bike.It would really do well on a hybrid,but I can always move it when that time comes.

This seat isn't split,it has a comfort space which allows less pressure on the groin area while cycling and doesn't give up any performance.

Last edited by MLKATO; 05-30-11 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-30-11, 08:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The problem with ANY seat is that it was not intentionally made JUST for you. You can read a thousand reviews and spend a ton of money but at the end of the day you are guesstimating on any seat. Last summer, I spent $160 on a Specialized seat that was "sure to fix" my rear end problems. After 10 miles I was in agony. The ONLY success I have had is with a Brooks B17 -

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product..._200276_200413

this seat is almost "made for you" as it moulds to your butt over time - very comfy. The only downside is that its like Sam Malone's Corvette as you really dont want to ride on it in the rain because it can ruin the leather (stretch it out)
Old 05-30-11, 09:08 AM

Bikes: Trek 820, Giant Sundance DX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wonderful wife bought me one of these when I first started riding to help me with some serious saddle sore...serious enough for me to consider quitting riding.

I did have issues sliding forward as mentioned above, but it did give me time for my arse to recover from the massive beating it took early on.

I have moved on to a Schwinn Memory Foam seat now, saddle problems are getting under control.
Old 05-30-11, 11:10 AM

Bikes: 2009 Rocky Mountain RC30 D

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are several things you can do to help with comfort.
Make sure your seat height is appropriate, the fore/aft is reasonable and that the saddle is for the most part level. A micro adjustable seat post is often helpful with the tilt angle.
If you have done that and still feel that you have extreme pressure on the groin area then lower the seat post a half inch and see if that makes a difference good or bad. You don't want to lower it too much as that will cause other issues, but, there is some leeway to play with.

I also agree with magohn regarding the Brooks.17 or one it's variants, the B.17 Imperial or the Flyer for example.
The Imperial has a cut-out design to alleviate the pressure you appear to be suffering from. https://www.brooksengland.com/en/Shop...d=B17+Imperial

If you feel that you want to continue cycling in the years to come, then looking at the Brooks is an option well worth it.

wallbike for example, provides:
:We give a SIX-MONTH UNCONDITIONAL GUARANTEE on new Brooks and Berthoud leather saddles.:
https://www.wallbike.com/catalog/saddles
Old 05-30-11, 12:21 PM
One more step forward...

Bikes: 26" Schwinn Cruiser/ now wishing I'd bought mountain or hybrid bike.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have that no pressure schwinn saddle and totally love it. Rode 10-13 miles at different times and never a problem. I have mine tilted back just a tiny bit.
Likes For WJordan:
Old 05-30-11, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've heard lots of great things about the Brooks B17 also, but I'm a bit on the cheap side, and also not sure if I want to deal with stiffness during the break-in period and also having to rub leather conditioning cream on it periodically (I'm into low maintenance, especially for saddles). So, I've been doing some research and I'm planning on buying the Planet Bike Anatomical Relief Saddle soon -- thought it might be of interest to you too.

Last edited by BeginnerCycling; 05-30-11 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-30-11, 02:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't know Brooks saddles cost that much ! I guess if I had a better bike I would want to spend money on a good seat. Not sure if I want to spend the cost of my bike on a new saddle.
Old 05-30-11, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Separated at birth?

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Fine for a tractor seat ...

Old 05-30-11, 11:55 PM

Bikes: 15 Specialized Crosstrail, 83 Schwinn Traveller, Fuji Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In 2 places on one of my regular rides there are long downhill sections where the speed gets up to 25 or 30 mph with a relatively tight turn at the bottom.

A sensible person would brake and take these turns at a lower speed. Not having the luxury of being a sensible person myself I find I need to take these turns at speed.

Tight turns require leaning and I can't imagine trying to do that on a seat without a horn.
Likes For Laserman:
Old 03-08-20, 02:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love it

I put the schwinn no pressure on my road eBike 12 months ago. - Now I'll add that I'm heavy, very heavy and I've done over 1600km/1000miles on it in almost 12 months.
Previously I had a wide gel regular bike seat, and after half an hour I'd be very uncomfortable.
but with the schwinn noseless?
I have ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM riding 3 hours on this seat. (The most I've done is 5 hours in one day). ZERO pain, ZERO discomfort - at least in my butt and groin area... same couldn't be said for my legs after that long.

On the first long ride my partner tried my seat out and it took her 30 seconds to say 'why tf didn't you get me one of those, order one tonight'.

If you're skinny and you enjoy having your prostate crushed then sure, go for the brooks, I've sat on one of those too... it's cheaper than a vasectomy I guess
Old 03-09-20, 12:08 AM

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Nose saddles and prostatitus issues

One bad case of Prostatitus brought on by the horn of my Brooks B67 saddle was enough for me to give noseless saddles a try. After a lifetime of riding horned? saddles the switch was not all roses and ice cream. I tried the two models of Hobson saddle for sale on the internet. I also bought a Spongy Wonder saddle from the Canadian manufacturer. I found that I had to learn a completely different way of adjusting the saddle height, angle, and the width of the saddle pads from one another. This has taken the better part of a year to fine tune these saddle. I had a very hard time getting the Hobson Easyseat adjusted properly and gave up on it. I bought a Hobson Easyseat 2 and this seat proved to quite comfortable from the start on a flat bar all road type bicycle. I then bought a Spongy Wonder saddle and put it on my other all road bicycle with an upright seating position. For reasons unknown my right hip bone would slip off the right pad. I started adjusting the pads, their distance apart from one another and their angles. At this time this seat is working very well. I ride typically from 10 to 20 miles on my rides. I recently built a drop bar bicycle up after 30 yrs of not having one and put the Hobson Easyseat that didn't work out on my other bicycles on it just to get it up and running. Presto this seat loves a more forward leaning position and has been the best of the lot on that bicycle. I agree with other riders mentioning the lack of control feeling especially at speed. It took months of riding but I now do everything I ever did on nosed saddle and don't have either control or pain issues. My prostatitus disappeared after switching to these saddles and the comfort of not crushing yourself is wonderful. Noseless saddles are probably not for everyone and I wouldn't have switched until I found out that Prostatitus was terrible enough to see me through this major change.
Old 03-09-20, 04:03 PM

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Laserman
A sensible person would brake and take these turns at a lower speed. Not having the luxury of being a sensible person myself I find I need to take these turns at speed.
I'm quite glad I didn't have a beverage to my mouth when I read this!!!! This describes me to a T!!! Well. The not being sensible part...
Old 03-16-20, 10:08 AM

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
I didn't know Brooks saddles cost that much ! I guess if I had a better bike I would want to spend money on a good seat. Not sure if I want to spend the cost of my bike on a new saddle.

$135 for a Brooks B17 straight from their website (110 English pounds) - about the same price as a Specialized Power Comp saddle (also a great saddle for alleviating numbness - for me at least) - or , accounting for inflation, about the same price as any decent saddle out there ---- A quick check of a price for a re-issued Selle Italia Flite saddle (the go-to saddle of the 90's) shows it is around $135 as well

They costs what they costs
Old 03-16-20, 01:29 PM

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by magohn
The problem with ANY seat is that it was not intentionally made JUST for you. You can read a thousand reviews and spend a ton of money but at the end of the day you are guesstimating on any seat. Last summer, I spent $160 on a Specialized seat that was "sure to fix" my rear end problems. After 10 miles I was in agony. The ONLY success I have had is with a Brooks B17 -
I'm glad you posted this, because I was going to. My first ride on the B17 was liking straddling a concrete telephone pole. It was shockingly bad. I forced myself to ride that saddle for several hundred miles till it gradually broke in. The break in wasn't sudden, but I felt some improvements after a few hundred miles until it gradually just got comfortable. Now it's the most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden, and even on a century ride my butt and saddle aren't an issue.

I just think people going the Brooks route need to be prepared for it to be uncomfortable as hell at first, especially if they're used to soft squishy gel saddles and the like. It was more uncomfortable at first than I'd anticipated, but I stuck it out, and it was worth it.
Old 03-16-20, 01:33 PM

The value of a Brooks isn't how its price compares with the price of your bike. The value is in how comfortable it is, and the value that comfort has amortized out over potentially thousands and thousands of hours of riding on it. If an $80 saddle makes your $75 bike comfortable enough for you to stand riding it, then it's worth it. Is it worth 4 or 5 cents an hour to ride in comfort, vs. saving that 4 or 5 cents and hour and riding in discomfort? I guess that's a personal decision. For me it's a no-brainer.
Old 03-16-20, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by BeginnerCycling
I've heard lots of great things about the Brooks B17 also, but I'm a bit on the cheap side, and also not sure if I want to deal with stiffness during the break-in period and also having to rub leather conditioning cream on it periodically (I'm into low maintenance, especially for saddles). So, I've been doing some research and I'm planning on buying the Planet Bike Anatomical Relief Saddle soon -- thought it might be of interest to you too.
It took me a few hundred miles to break in the Brooks, but I was laying down some heavy mileage, so it probably only took me a month or so. Totally worth it. Gotta think long term about this. Yeah, it sucks to ride the Brooks that first few times, but in the end it's the best saddle I've ever ridden. It single-handedly removed saddle comfort as a variable in the cycling equation for me. The maintenance isn't a big deal. I rubbed the crap Brooks sells with it on a few times when it was new, and every few months I'll reapply whether it needs it or not, which it probably doesn't. It's really a non-issue.

As far as the "cheapskate" arguments I'm sympathetic to a degree, but I'll spend hundreds and hundreds of hours per year in the saddle, and amortizing out the up-front cost of something like the Brooks over the use I'll get out of it, it's really a matter of paying a few cents/hour of riding to remove saddle discomfort almost completely from the equation. That's solid value right there.

ETA: everyone's body and experiences and whatnot vary, so it's possible something like the Brooks isn't the answer for literally everyone, so I can only contribute my own experience and views on the subject.

Last edited by SethAZ; 03-16-20 at 01:44 PM.