Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Best choice Specialized or Trek

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-11, 02:25 PM

Bikes: Cannondale F700, Jamis Explorer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Narrowed my search down to two bikes... the Trek navigator 2 or the Specialized expedition sport. Any thoughts as to which is the better constructed bike or which one is better suited for more frequent off road use?
Old 05-31-11, 02:50 PM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
They are pretty similar so I wouldn't think you'd find a big difference between them. Saddles are way too cushy IMHO and suspension forks and seat posts are not normally designed with Clydes or Athenas in mind. What do you have in mind when you say "frequent off road use"? Neither of these are close to being MTBs.
Old 05-31-11, 03:16 PM

Bikes: Cannondale F700, Jamis Explorer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CACycling
They are pretty similar so I wouldn't think you'd find a big difference between them. Saddles are way too cushy IMHO and suspension forks and seat posts are not normally designed with Clydes or Athenas in mind. What do you have in mind when you say "frequent off road use"? Neither of these are close to being MTBs.
I know they are not MTBs. I ride a Cannondale F700 on the trails. I just know that if I'm cruising on the comfort bike I will inevitably be drawn into a trail so I was looking for thought on which one would stand up better to the demands of trails. I don't expect put the bike through very difficult trails only dirt roads and some easy trails. I'll leave the tough stuff for the cannondale.
Old 05-31-11, 03:46 PM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I really doubt you'd see any significant difference in durability between the two bikes. I will say that a comfort bike would come somewhere after last on my list of bikes to buy. They tend to be very heavy and designed for short, slow rides. A non-suspension MTB would be a better option IMHO. Put on a set of reverse knobbies and it will cruise the bike paths and roadways well but still handle trails.
Old 05-31-11, 04:38 PM

Bikes: Trek Navigator 200 but hoping to upgrade soon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really doubt you'd see any significant difference in durability between the two bikes. I will say that a comfort bike would come somewhere after last on my list of bikes to buy. They tend to be very heavy and designed for short, slow rides. A non-suspension MTB would be a better option IMHO.
I have to second that. While I by NO means am an expert at cycling, I have the Trek Navigator 200 which is the predecessor to the Navigator 2. It is a good bike. Very sturdy, but like CACycling said they are for short slow rides. This has frustrated me to no end for the past eight years of owning my bike. I was raised on nothing but road bikes and cannot get it up to the speed I was used to going at on the road bikes. Hence the reason why I am also in the market for a new bike.

Just my 2 cents,
MrsN