Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hello from PA!

Old 05-31-11, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello from PA!

So after many, many years, I've decided to get back into cycling, if only to shed a few pounds.

About me: I live and work in Stroudsburg, PA, as a night auditor for a hotel out here. I live with my girlfriend and 2 year old child in a large, 1930's apartment on Main Street. I spend most of my time reading or listening to records, and I have an affinity for all things mechanical. I'm also in the process of restoring a Lincoln Town Car. The reasons for getting back in the saddle is the realization that I really don't need a car for 90 % of the crap I need to do around town, and the other realization that in the past 10 years, I've ballooned to an unhealthy 225 from my normal 175. I suffer from Schueurmann's Kyphosis, a rare spinal disorder in which my back is curved forward at a 93 degree angle. It's painful, and makes most other forms of exercise uncomfortable.

The idea of buying a bike was sitting in the back of my head for the last year or so, and was, for the most part, just considering a cheap MTB or hybrid from Walmart. That is, until I was browsing through an antiques shop in town for a replacement lamp for my house and stumbled upon...

The Ride- a 1936 Cyrva english 3 speed roadster. Sturmey-archer AW 3-speed, classic yet simplistic styling, and it fit not only my frame but my style as well. Since I'm fairly new to classic bikes, I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions, and I'm also certain that a good percentage of them will be dumb.
The last "classic" bike I owned was a 1970's lotus 10 speed I fished out of the dumpster, rode that for a little while but couldn't get used to the racer style, too uncomfortable, and it didn't help that every time I went to shift it, the skinny tires on it would hit a bump and I'd go flying.
Otherwise, I had a Ross that kept breaking rear axles, a 27 speed MTB that the name escapes me right now, and of all things, a huffy MTB that I had for years to run to the library and back. I customized the Huffy to be a hybrid, added a luggage rack and panniers, but int he end, it was still a huffy. Thing was heavy, too.

I also tend to ramble. A lot. But overall, I look forward to joining you people on this journey.
Old 05-31-11, 10:42 PM

Bikes: 1970? Dawes Galaxy (cannibalized), 197? Bob Jackson Frankenbike, 1989 Jamis Diablo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
...and - judging by your handle - I'm going to guess you're a Led Zepplin and/or Pink Floyd fan. If memory serves Hipgnosis did their album covers, no?

Has good weather returned to eastern PA, yet? (I used to live in Macungie a few years back - difficult change in weather for a CA native)

Welcome to The Forums
Old 05-31-11, 10:45 PM
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome to Bike Forums, I hope you enjoy your time here. Good luck with the weight loss goal!
Old 05-31-11, 11:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as the weather goes, it seems to have skipped spring and gone right into 85 degrees and humid summer.

And yes, bit of a Pink Floyd fan, although my general taste in music is fairly eclectic.

Last edited by Hipgnosis; 05-31-11 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Added some more stuff.
Old 06-01-11, 06:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greetings from south central PA. Hope you enjoy the forum as much as I do.
I don't post much, just lurck and learn, lol
Old 06-01-11, 06:15 AM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc, Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forums and the journey!