Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Some winter clothing idea’s for riding a bent.

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 11-07-04, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had to get some new cycling clothes because last years are too big and sometimes too stained.
I can stick with my shirt idea I used last year. A base layer of polypropylene such as coolmax or what have you. I can get these cheap for about 5.00 each on sale. Last year I got all black as that's what I got for a good price. But I can’t wear black at night. When the temp is about 52 or so I can just wear the base layer. So black was out. Plus they are pretty big on me last year XL this year large. Then over that a long sleeve t shirt. Just cotton. This works well to keep me warm but not too warm. Two poly shirts gets me too hot unless it is colder. In Portland Oregon with such variable weather you need flexibility. I found yellow and orange long sleeve cotton shirts for 6.99 each. I want cheap as I need 6 sets for my weekly commute. Then I only have to wash once a week.
Now for the pants. I am ok with my jeans but they do let some air in around my leg since they ride up. Plus since they are all cotton I would have to stop and put on rain pants if it started pouring. So I got the idea of 50/50 sweats. They are only 8.99 a pair and three should work for all week. They are easy on and off and should handle some rain. Plus they should keep my knee’s warm. Well I will know if they work when I get them along with the new t shirts.
If it gets colder I can put on my burley rain coat. This gives me pretty good flexibility .last year when it got around 20 a thick ply turtleneck shirt and my rain jacket was plenty. I have enough de feet wool socks for my feet but how to keep my feet dry? Last year I had neoprene booties but the soles wore out fast I hardly got a season out of them. Plus with 47 shoes nothing really fits them. I got some goulashes and cut out a hole for the cleat but even in low rain my shoes were all wet. I was debating on buying the lake winter mountain bike shoes but I was thinking they would be a pain to walk in. but now I wish I did. Any idea’s?
Old 11-08-04, 09:53 AM

Bikes: 76 schwinn tandem,old hard rock mt bike, old old centurium rd bike, 84 trek 640 touring bike, a new v-rex,

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi steve, found that interesting, as I am thinking of using my bent for commuting, instead of my touring bike, rode a couple of times in the rain last week, things I guess I would have to get use to. traffic road spray in the face, can't duck my head down out of the rain like I can on my upright, having to wear rainpants over my jeans, to hilly and sweaty! love my rain cape on my upright, but in spite of all that I probably will slowly switch bikes! from foggy Corvallis
Old 11-08-04, 10:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had never needed rain paints on my regular bike. my tights worked fine. but not on the bent. but I don't get sprayed by cars so thats never been an issue.
Old 11-15-04, 09:52 AM

Bikes: 76 schwinn tandem,old hard rock mt bike, old old centurium rd bike, 84 trek 640 touring bike, a new v-rex,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steveknight
I had never needed rain paints on my regular bike. my tights worked fine. but not on the bent. but I don't get sprayed by cars so thats never been an issue.
Hi Steve, so I'm curious, hows the sweats work? when you said fifty fifty, I take it you meant half poly and cotton, also curious you are putting those on over the blue jeans? hope thats not to dumb a question, can't help you with the shoe part. will be looking at that soon though....! thanks, Dave
Old 11-15-04, 10:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got the seats friday so I am trying them out today I will let you know. right on the 50/50 I plan on wearing them insead of pants unless it's really cold.
Old 11-15-04, 12:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear polypro tights from Performance that work well. In colder weather, I used some windproof/waterproof nylon pants. They breathe well and hold in the heat well.

Upper body gets the benefit of my windproof/waterproof fleece jacket from Campmor. It is very warm and has pit zips to let me cool off too.

Shoes are a mystery. These Pearl Izumi Toester booties wore out in no time. I am thinking of buying some Burley rain covers or Bellwether covers for my feet.
Old 11-16-04, 12:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have a problem with keeping warm. more the oppisite problem but for my feet.
https://www.lickbike.com/productpage.asp?PART_NUM_SUB='2969-40' these should do it if I can come up with the cash.
Old 01-11-05, 10:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got the seats friday so I am trying them out today I will let you know. right on the 50/50 I plan on wearing them insead of pants unless it's really cold.
Hello, how did the sweat pants work out? I'm going to have to get a new rain coat, the one I have now leaks thru the zipper, wondering if the thirty dollars raincoats work as good as the eighty dollar ones! someone mentioned fleece being waterproof and windproof can that be true? anyone? thanks, Dave
Old 01-11-05, 10:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
they work ok though since they are baggy sometimes they hit the chain. but for warmth and comfort they work fine.
my burley leaks a bit at the zipper too. pit zips don't work well with a bent water runs down your arm (G) so you get a little bit of breathability in a better jacket.
Old 01-12-05, 10:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
they work ok though since they are baggy sometimes they hit the chain. but for warmth and comfort they work fine.
my burley leaks a bit at the zipper too. pit zips don't work well with a bent water runs down your arm (G) so you get a little bit of breathability in a better jacket.
talked to someone yesterday, who said my favorite bike shop in town has a raincoat just for bents. no zipper, pull over with big velcro flap or something, thats all I know about it, fraid to go see it. as these guys always sell me something! I'll probably check it out this week end, or maybe I'll call them! I'm thinking I'm going to have to put a chain guard on my rex. the homemade thing. wonder how noisy that will be.
Old 01-14-05, 11:44 PM
Riding a '04 Rans V-Rex

Bikes: We have two '04 Rans V-Rexs.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We use the layering method of keeping warm. For the outside we use Gear or Holloway wind shirts and warm up pants like the runners wear. To make them rain resistance we simply buy pure silicon lubricating spray and then lightly spray the clothing we wear as an outer layer. This makes them water resistant without stopping them from breathiing. We find that it makes the clothing able to keep us from getting wet. When you wash the clothing you just re-apply the silicon again. It also works to protect high quality leather from cold and dampness. I put it on all out smooth finished leather jackets. I learned this trick from the Carhart rep who came to our local suburban farm and home store to treat Carhart coats and bibs to renew their waterproofing.

Hope this helps.