Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

How to toughen up my SS?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

How to toughen up my SS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-11, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How to toughen up my SS?

I have been into mountain biking for a while and use to use my mtb to commute to school. I just won a brand new 2009 Jamis Sputnik in a raffle. I'm stoked about it. The SS was a challenge the first few days on some of the hills, but I'm zipping pretty good now. I have been using the Sputnik as a commuter (5 miles each way). I love reading about everyone commuting by bike to work and just want to be one of those guys.

I'm use to mountain biking and being able to ride over anything I want, but I realize these skinny wheels and tires are a bit fragile. I was cruising downhill the other day coming up on a place in the sidewalk that I know had a raised block of cement. A person got in my way and distracted my and I hit that raised cement pretty good--double pinch flat.

I've seen a lot of talk about the Surly Cross Checks. I hadn't considered a Cyclocross before, but it seems like a good idea. There are a lot of dirt trails around and I like being able to ride in the grass for a second or off a curb if need be. Do you think I could just pop some cyclo style wheels and tires on this bad boy? Thoughts? Recommendations?

I added a mirror as everyone has recommended. Other than that, she's bones stock. I've been reading all over these forums like a madman and think i've picked up some of the general commuting concerns. Any thoughts or suggestions for this bike? I really like its style, but might need a bit more toughness/usability.
Old 06-03-11, 09:37 PM

Bikes: 2013 Stumpjumper HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First off, congrats on winning the new bike, just looked it up and it looks sweet.
Second, I am fairly new to road biking and do not own a SS or Cycloscross bike (really want a SS though). But I just recently switch my road bikes wheels from 27" to 700C and put 700x35C tires on it just to that they can go through dirt and take slightly larger bumps if I really need too. I haven't had a chance to try it since doing it (rear rim still hasn't came in yet, only front which fit and worked good), so iono how good of an idea it actually is or how well it actually will work. But in my opinion, if it fits, it should work.

Like I said though, I am new to road bikes. I also use to use my MTB to commute and switched to a road bike.
Old 06-03-11, 09:40 PM
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by bawolf88
I realize these skinny wheels and tires are a bit fragile. I was cruising downhill the other day coming up on a place in the sidewalk that I know had a raised block of cement. A person got in my way and distracted my and I hit that raised cement pretty good--double pinch flat.
Learn to bunny hob, get weight off the saddle, and ,of course, get off the sidewalk
Old 06-03-11, 09:45 PM

Bikes: 2013 Stumpjumper HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
Learn to bunny hob, shift your weight, and ,of course, get off the sidewalk
I've had to learn the hard way that even though my MTB and BMX bike wheels will take pretty much everything I throw at them, my road bike becomes pretty untrue pretty quickly. Doing a bunny hop would just obliterate my road tires, however, I am 6'2" and 245lbs and being in college, can't afford wheels that can actually hold my weight. So I just have to be extra careful.
Old 06-03-11, 09:50 PM
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
I'm 6'5" 200 lbs and I have ruined several road wheels. Learning to bunny hop has been a useful skill (getting stiffer more well built wheels will help too)
Old 06-03-11, 09:53 PM
Goes to 11.

Bikes: 2015 Soma Double Cross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsprehe89
I've had to learn the hard way that even though my MTB and BMX bike wheels will take pretty much everything I throw at them, my road bike becomes pretty untrue pretty quickly. Doing a bunny hop would just obliterate my road tires, however, I am 6'2" and 245lbs and being in college, can't afford wheels that can actually hold my weight. So I just have to be extra careful.
Get 28mm tires, have your wheels properly trued and tensioned for your weight, and you won't have to handle your bike with kid gloves. I'm 245 and curb-hop all the time. It's all about knowing where to put your weight, and making sure your bike is properly equipped.
Old 06-04-11, 02:12 AM

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Road bikes aren't as fragile as they seem. I've done dirt trails on a Mercier Kilo TT with a carbon fork on 25s before. Now I am on a Bianchi San Jose with 32s and obviously I feel more confident riding over stuff, but suppose you had hit that ledge at speed on a MTB or BMX the results might not be so different.
Old 06-04-11, 06:32 AM

Bikes: Caad9, Fixed gear, Hardrock beater, 3 speed cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every single road ride I've went on has had me ending up on gravel/dirt paths through the woods. I did a 1000 foot climb and decent (on rocks) on some flimsy alex rims with a broken spoke and they held up just fine. This was on 23's.
Old 06-04-11, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What tire pressure were you running? Road tires need to be around 100psi (give or take depending on weight) to avoid pinch flats.
Old 06-04-11, 07:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think psi was the problem with my last incident. I have since been running 100psi. A guy at the LBS said running over 100psi makes the tires more prone to puncture from glass since the tire will have less flex. Interesting thought.
Old 06-04-11, 07:22 AM
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by bawolf88
A guy at the LBS said running over 100psi makes the tires more prone to puncture from glass since the tire will have less flex.
Nonsense.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 06-04-11, 07:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Nonsense.
Nice. I didn't really like that guy anyway.